Sign in to follow this  
Nick

DoW: Soulstorm

Well I picked this up on Friday as I've always been a fan of Dawn of War. This expansion bumps up the number of races to a whopping 9 in total if you have the previous expansions as well.

I was expecting balance to be way out as a result, especially seeing as balance has always seemed to be something Relic just couldn't get right. But I have to say that it's actually really good this time around. Probably due to the fact Relic didn't make it, although they are patching it so we'll have to wait and see if things get worse.

The new flying units are a bit poor, I think I would have prefered a new ground unit for each race but they don't ruin anything so meh. The new races are pretty good however, I'm especially liking the Sisters of Battle.

The campaign is basically the same as the previous expansion but across 4 planets instead of 1. Still good fun to play through and actually a good challenge on Hard.

I'd definately recomend it to anyone that has the previous titles. A good RTS with 9 races and decent balance, as well as new maps makes Nick a happy boy.

:tup:

Hmm.

I just don't trust them after the IG bayonets being the best anti-building for a while, then the Kroothounds with shapers being able to destroy an entire base in about 15 seconds. And the meagre 250 or so people in the lobby at any one time - it could take forever to start a decent sized match sometimes.

Hmm ¬¬

Have you tried much online play? Are there any spam tactics showing up with this one yet? I think I'll wait and see...

Edit: Also, just in case anyone is interested in picking them up, I saw a box set of the first three games for £10 in Zavvi the other day.

Well like I say it wasn't Relic that did this expansion but Iron Lore. And they've done a really good job with the balance, I haven't seen or heard of any over powered mass builds and they tried to slow down tech just a little. Currently it seems like you can have decent Tier 1 fight and not be worried about getting trounced if the other guy hits Tier 2 before you do.

Only problem with online games is that there are a couple of game breaking bugs, like Sisters of Battle can get infinate resourses. So I'm leaving competitive play until they patch that out.

There's always gonna be the problem with not enough peoplein the lobby unfortunately, it's not too bad though. I don't really play big games as I find the 1 on 1 more to my taste.

I'd definately recomend it to anyone that has the previous titles. A good RTS with 9 races and decent balance, as well as new maps makes Nick a happy boy.

:tup:

For anyone who doesn't have all the previous content (like me) there'll be a complete pack with all the expansions and the original game for sale in about a week, on March 21.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the stuff about an unofficial package. Anyway, this is more expensive and more official.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the stuff about an unofficial package.

It's actually a proper box set in a slipcase, just the first three though.