Sign in to follow this  
ragnar

Settlers

I read the Settlers-preview and I have to say that I am disappointed that it will be even more RTS-like than before. The series has gone downhill since the second game and they seem to be intent on continuing on that path.

Settlers I and II was more like a SimCity set in medieval times than an RTS. It was all about economy and build up a settlement rather than conquest and micromanaging units in battle. In fact, you couldn't control any unit at all in the first game and that is the way I like it. It's the building up that is interesting with Settlers (in difference to all these RTS:s), not the tearing down. Now they want to be yet another mainstream RTS with nothing special about it.

I'm sure the new Settlers will be a good, balanced game, but yes it's losing a lot of its original charm not to mention the things that made it unique. The interconnected logistics of the first game were a bit over the top of course ... sometimes having a well run dry could completely mess up your entire civilization, and if you didn't spot the problem soon enough you'd end up in a deadlock situation with clogged distribution channels. So it's nice to know they're again opening that up a little more. Sadly, the RTS stuff is not so hot.

I don't have much interest in the upcoming Settlers game. I loved Settlers 1 & II, but Settlers III didn't appeal to me for some reason. I was part of the beta testing team, but I failed to see any fun in the game. I didn't buy it when it was released, but I still couldn't understand my lack of interest since I loved the two previous games, so I bought the Gold Edition of S3 when it was released, hoping it would rekindle my love for the game. I've probably attempted to play it a few times, each time only lasting about 15 minutes.

I haven't cared for Settlers IV at all and looking at screenshots it looks like S3 with new content. I don't think Settlers V look all that good, but I'm glad to see they've moved away from the cartoony graphics of S3 & S4. I'll probably try a demo, but I have no expectation to like it.

Maybe I should play Settlers II again, haven't played it in years. It might be fun to try again.

I thought Settlers II was pretty cartoony? I mean, erm, probably more "storybook"-like, but whatever. :) I thought those little guys with blue shirts were at least somewhat funny.

Maybe it was, I can't really remember :) Not as much as S3 though, I'm sure of it. 100% sure. Yes. 90% sure.

What's with this scary smiley btw.? => :ratchet:

I'm sure the new Settlers will be a good, balanced game, but yes it's losing a lot of its original charm not to mention the things that made it unique. The interconnected logistics of the first game were a bit over the top of course ... sometimes having a well run dry could completely mess up your entire civilization, and if you didn't spot the problem soon enough you'd end up in a deadlock situation with clogged distribution channels. So it's nice to know they're again opening that up a little more. Sadly, the RTS stuff is not so hot.

But I love the interconnected logistics, even if deadlocks perhaps should be avoided. The first game also had the roads, so you had to be very careful how you placed your roads so as not to end up in a traffic jam. These sort of thing is missing in the later games.

I have no problem with the game being 3D, but I really dislike the RTS game play of click unit -> make him go somewhere etc. All the units should have enough AI as to be able to handle themselves without being directly controlled. I just want the strategy of building an economy, building houses, ordering "conquer enemy units", etc. No direct control.

I thought Settlers II was pretty cartoony? I mean, erm, probably more "storybook"-like, but whatever. :) I thought those little guys with blue shirts were at least somewhat funny.

Yes, S1 and S2 both had cartoony graphics. Just look at the intro movie for Settlers 1. That game is one of my favourite ever. It's sad that noone has been able to make an equally good game (with the same type of game play) with modern graphics.