Sign in to follow this  
itsamoose

General Technology thread

I was looking through the posts and couldn't manage to find a general tech thread so I figured I would create one.

What spurred this is that I got back into XNA this week via Monogame.  I learned on XNA some years ago, and after about 3 days of working with it I'm quite impressed with how well Monogame has been supported, and how widely distributed and battle tested the framework is.  There have been a number of games released on it (All Supergiant's titles, Axiom Verge, Towerfall to name a few) and the framework is now available on all modern consoles, android, iOS and Linux.  Recently Microsoft even Purchased Xamarin, which is a runtime that can be used to develop iOS games in Windows and has a few other nice features, and to some extent Monogame has gone on to fulfill the promise of .Net in the game development world.   I think certainly if you're working in 3D, or are not really concerned with how things work under the hood, Unity or Unreal is a far better option, if for nothing else due to the breadth of tools available.  However even after having far more capable and expansive engines, I have never enjoyed coding more than when I was working with XNA, and Monogame is a fantastic extension of that framework.  It is such a wonderfully written and accessible API, especially if you are just learning game programming since you can really get a sense of how things work under all those abstraction layers more robust engines have.

General technology thing:

Don't write your own game engine. It hurts.

Actually, for turn-based enterprises it's probably fine to investigate this kind of thing yourself. But for a realtime game with physics? You'll end up on a rocking chair surrounded by dolls possessed by the souls of the fallen as their mental agony ravages what is left of your catatonic mind.

Physics is the devil.