Jake

Idle Thumbs 203: Goat Impossible

The description of Murder She Wrote as a super high society life aboard an 80s yacht where everyone is murdered made me think that would make a fun game.  Then I realized that game is The Ship. 

I could not believe that reader email about playing Jedi academy with a buddy and one controlling the mouse and the other the keys. I used to do the same thing with my brother but the game was Jedi Knight dark forces 2. I would gun, he would run. Love that game

I remember two games that had controller setups that allowed for two people to control one player.  One was Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy.  The game had a setup that used two controllers, one for movement and one for shooting, but it also mapped different methods of attack to each controller.  The player character in the game has psychic powers like telekinesis and mind control in addition to conventional weapons.  Basically, imagine playing Bioshock except one person controlled the guns and the other person controlled the plasmids.

The other game that had a 2 controller setup was Goldeneye for the N64.  Because of the shape of the N64 controller, it was possible to dual wield controllers and play two handed by yourself.  It made aiming easier because it was a crude form of the modern dual analog FPS setup, but it made other things like switching weapons a lot harder.  Playing it with a second person was rather fun though.

The description of Murder She Wrote as a super high society life aboard an 80s yacht where everyone is murdered made me think that would make a fun game.  Then I realized that game is The Ship. 

A further realization: if Murder She Wrote the TV show is The Ship (or Spy Party), then Murder She Wrote the board game is Trouble in Terrorist Town.

I remember two games that had controller setups that allowed for two people to control one player. One was Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. The game had a setup that used two controllers, one for movement and one for shooting, but it also mapped different methods of attack to each controller. The player character in the game has psychic powers like telekinesis and mind control in addition to conventional weapons. Basically, imagine playing Bioshock except one person controlled the guns and the other person controlled the plasmids.

The other game that had a 2 controller setup was Goldeneye for the N64. Because of the shape of the N64 controller

You could also have 8 player Micro Machines 64 turbo by each of you sharing a controller

I didn't have any experience with playing a single characters controls on one device, but I did use to play games with my brother in the era where a PC would split up players 1 and 2 into opposite sides of the keyboard. Probably played a fair amount of Sango Fighter like that.

There's a piece in The Guardian with Miyazaki that's more focused on him rather than just his games. I had no idea he only joined From Software when he was 29. It sounds like he was a nobody at the company until he got a chance to take control of Demon's Souls.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview

Several years later, he started thinking about video games again. He met up with some former college friends who suggested new titles to play. One was Ico, a mystical fairytale in which players assume the role of a boy who must lead a waif-like girl by the hand along a castle’s craggy ramparts, pursued by their ghoulish captors. “That game awoke me to the possibilities of the medium,” says Miyazaki. “I wanted to make one myself.”

Wow, Dark Souls always reminded me of Ico but I hadn't realized the inspiration was that direct.

now want to play whatever someone's interpretation of the board game Cigar Chomping ExecutiveTM would be.

The closest analogue I can think of is Game Dev Tycoon. I found myself greenlighting game after game of franchises with no real difference except better technology (graphics?). so pretty much

http://www.idleballad.com/

You could also have 8 player Micro Machines 64 turbo by each of you sharing a controller

I played many player Micro Machines 2 with cousins on a PC around the time MDK came out.

Two people share one controller, D pad and the 4 buttons. One person gets the mouse. Other people huddle around a keyboard. The game was smart, it made the usual 4 button layout into a 3 button layout and all the cars constantly accelerated. If you wanted to stand still you had to tap break. This was great because the old keyboard only registered so much when keys where close to each other. 

There was a level where the cars had to ride a sponge across a wash basin. It was nearly impossible because of the constant fiddly cars trying to drive off into the water.