Chris

Idle Thumbs 202: Poopwater, New Mexico

I might not have been that clear before, but I've just never bought a mattress. I always used the ones that came with the places I rented, I actually only bought furniture for the first time last year since we did need a desk and couple shelves on top of what the flat had. It didn't occur to me that a mattress costing half a grand could be normal/reasonable because that's a very significant amount of money to me for something I just thought of as being part of the bed itself.

I might not have been that clear before, but I've just never bought a mattress. I always used the ones that came with the places I rented, I actually only bought furniture for the first time last year since we did need a desk and couple shelves on top of what the flat had. It didn't occur to me that a mattress costing half a grand could be normal/reasonable because that's a very significant amount of money to me for something I just thought of as being part of the bed itself.

The last time I bought a mattress, they offered me a frame for free. The mattress is the bed for intents and purposes of cost. Grown Up Stuff

The last time I bought a mattress, they offered me a frame for free. The mattress is the bed for intents and purposes of cost. Grown Up Stuff

I'm on baby level of grown up stuff. Sure, I can rent an apartment and buy furniture, but I can't drive at all. So I'm in that awkward gap of needing a real adult to give my desk a lift.

I presume so, but hearing it called reasonable was very odd to me. I could probably make a full list of the things I've spent that much money on that wasn't rent.

Last time I priced out mattresses, foam latex mattresses in the king size tended to run closer to 2k.

It's possible you can get them for cheaper.  I am not an expert at buying mattresses.  It only sounded reasonable given my very limited experience.

In stories about dads playing one game, 15 years ago or something I borrowed a friend's N64 and copy of Zelda 64. My dad's always liked the Zelda games, and ended up beating Link to the Past before I could when I was away on Summer vacation, to my moderate disappointment. For whatever reason he got super into Zelda 64 though, to the point where he played it over and over again, as a hobby. At one point I was passing through and commented that it was weird that he played the same game over and over again, and a little while after that he stopped. He had a stroke 7 or 8 years ago and I don't think could really play games like that any more. I feel a bit of guilt or regret over that offhand comment now.

Also for a few years my mom was super into Snood. I knew and told her that it was a knockoff, but a) it ran on her aging PowerMac G5, and B) unlike Puzzle Bobble, it didn't have any timer between moves, and she doesn't like time pressure because it stresses her out -- so I forgave her Snoodly trespasses.

xUObfVW.gif

Haha wow I'd forgotten how bad it was, too. Now that I see it, I'm reminded of what someone once told me: it's like that because the Japanese characters are able to convey a lot more information with a lot fewer characters, in large part thanks to kanji, and when they localized it, they either didn't have the budget or know-how to change the character system? I think I even remember some ROM translation hacks actually changing character width to avoid this problem.

That Snood observation gives me a good question about knockoffs that improve on the original to write into the podcast with so they can start reading out the first sentence, get distracted, and never come back to it.

That Snood observation gives me a good question about knockoffs that improve on the original to write into the podcast with so they can start reading out the first sentence, get distracted, and never come back to it.

;(

Latex mattresses are the best.  I first got one when they were a new thing and I've only recently finally had to get rid of it after about 15 years.  I still think its the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.  Getting one for less than a thousand is an amazing price.

It's strange how I was instantly much more interested in the advertised album when Chris corrected himself to Tecmo Super Bowl vs just Tecmo Bowl. Nothing wrong with the original's music, but Tecmo Super Bowl is iconic.

Another thing that is strange is having a soundtrack during gameplay for sports games and not thinking twice about it because that's what video games are.

I have an amazing latex pillow which people always scoff at (because of the (recommended retail) price, which I didn't pay), until they try it then they think it's the best thing ever. So much to be said for not skimping on your mattress and pillows.

In reverse adulthood, I was amazed to hear a mattress would cost $500/€460, I have never had to buy one ever and I always thought it'd be not that much alongside the bed frame...

I'm sure that, like anything else, you can get them cheap. But I've really found that, especially as an adult, it's one of those things that's worth paying more for. You buy it then use it for years, and you have to spend so much time on it. It really makes a difference. I've been traveling a lot recently and have slept on a lot of different mattresses and it's amazing what a difference it makes to sleep on a better one.

I have an amazing latex pillow which people always scoff at (because of the (recommended retail) price, which I didn't pay), until they try it then they think it's the best thing ever. So much to be said for not skimping on your mattress and pillows.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the pillows.  After getting a latex bed, I went all in and got a latex pillow as well.  It's the only one I've ever had that hasn't gone flat after repeated use.  I think they're great.

I normally blanket dis-approve of drug use but I love Danielle SO FRICKING MUCH.

admit it, you're just afraid of what she'll do to you with her noscope-headshot-an-eagle skills if you express disapproval.

admit it, you're just afraid of what she'll do to you with her noscope-headshot-an-eagle skills if you express disapproval.

Yup, those no-scope skills are legit,

THAT SAID, i have still not finished Far Cry 4 so if she wants to multiplayer with me and help me take down those strong holds she can do so baked or not baked.

I haven't had a real bed or mattress in nearly five years.

:getmecoat

I'd totally pool money to get tegan a proper bed.

Yup, those no-scope skills are legit,

THAT SAID, i have still not finished Far Cry 4 so if she wants to multiplayer with me and help me take down those strong holds she can do so baked or not baked.

I was bummed that a Far Cry 420 joke was not made on the podcast.

On that reader mail about the Link's Awakening exploit, I totally remember discovering that one day as well and broke the hell out of that game.  In fact I broke it so much I never finished playing it because I got myself into a situation where I needed an item I didn't have and couldn't glitch my way back out.  Kid me was too impatient to start a new game and adult me is too busy to replay it.

I remember seeing a Link's Awakening Let's Play that did the skip trick, and treated everything that happened as being the intended critical path, and talking about the unintuitive 'puzzles' and how the dungeons are all numbered incorrectly.

I remember seeing a Link's Awakening Let's Play that did the skip trick, and treated everything that happened as being the intended critical path, and talking about the unintuitive 'puzzles' and how the dungeons are all numbered incorrectly.

goddammit

Is there going to be any negative repurcussions to Danielle admitting to getting stoned?  I understand that it took place in California but I was wondering how the folks at Polygon would feel about one of their editors blazing it? 

It's been many years since I've engaged in some puff puff pass, but I occassionally will drink some libations while gaming.  I actually don't particularly enjoy it.  Some times while playing a turn based strategy game game it can be nice, but anything that actually requires some concentration or quick reaction I usually regret drinking and playing.  I will say that I was recently played Wind Waker HD while a little buzzed and I thought the graphics looked even more amazing!

Nonetheless, I've never been too big of a fan of gaming under the influence -- thoughts?

Is there going to be any negative repurcussions to Danielle admitting to getting stoned? I understand that it took place in California but I was wondering how the folks at Polygon would feel about one of their editors blazing it?

It's been many years since I've engaged in some puff puff pass, but I occassionally will drink some libations while gaming. I actually don't particularly enjoy it. Some times while playing a turn based strategy game game it can be nice, but anything that actually requires some concentration or quick reaction I usually regret drinking and playing. I will say that I was recently played Wind Waker HD while a little buzzed and I thought the graphics looked even more amazing!

Nonetheless, I've never been too big of a fan of gaming under the influence -- thoughts?

I'd say she would be fine as it's legal in that state but I'm personally against the use of drugs so I've never done it. I rarely drink because it can make me sleepy so I've never really got drunk while gaming

It's probably safe to assume she wouldn't have talked about it on the podcast if she had any fears of repercussions.