Chris

Idle Thumbs 202: Poopwater, New Mexico

The only games I like when drunk are fighting and sports games, because those become hilarious. 

I think the single moment in the podcast's history that made me laugh the hardest was Danielle saying she headshotted an eagle.

Last time I did mushrooms I played Columns for 3 hours while listening to Guided By Voices' Bee Thousand over and over. I won't say I walked away from that experience with much insight but I definitely got very good at Columns.

The only games I like when drunk are fighting and sports games, because those become hilarious. 

College story! My friends and roommates were never huge drinkers, but we did drink, especially after turning 21. My friend and I decided that we should play Madden against each other in what we dubbed The Jager Bowl. For each 3 or 7 points scored against you, you would have to take half or a full shot of Jagermeister. I'm pretty sure the score ended up being mid-50s to high 40s, which means we both put 7+ shots of jager inside of us over the course of the hour or less it took to play the game.

That was fun as hell.

Getting tipsy and getting on voice chat with friendly people and playing games is entertaining, too. League of Legends is unsurprisingly less burdensome when you don't care about outcomes and just laugh a bunch.

You should definitely not play XCOM while drunk. That bottle of whisky in the commander's drawer cost us the membership of two countries and a satellite array over Canada.

Haha weird that I never noticed that the commander of a huge multinational defense agency is also a mission by mission tactician. It feels less like being in a modern chain of command and more like being a samurai general fighting in every battle.

I think the single moment in the podcast's history that made me laugh the hardest was Danielle saying she headshotted an eagle.

Last time I did mushrooms I played Columns for 3 hours while listening to Guided By Voices' Bee Thousand over and over. I won't say I walked away from that experience with much insight but I definitely got very good at Columns.

Speaking of that, I once played Super Mario Bros 3 while on mushrooms. It was a very appropriate game for that kind of experience and the bright and cheery colors gave me vast amounts of happiness. I think I ended up playing through all of World 1-4 just staring at the bottom of the screen scrolling by and only using my peripheral vision to navigate Mario through the level.

College story! My friends and roommates were never huge drinkers, but we did drink, especially after turning 21. My friend and I decided that we should play Madden against each other in what we dubbed The Jager Bowl. For each 3 or 7 points scored against you, you would have to take half or a full shot of Jagermeister. I'm pretty sure the score ended up being mid-50s to high 40s, which means we both put 7+ shots of jager inside of us over the course of the hour or less it took to play the game.

That was fun as hell.

Getting tipsy and getting on voice chat with friendly people and playing games is entertaining, too. League of Legends is unsurprisingly less burdensome when you don't care about outcomes and just laugh a bunch.

One of my roommates and I used to play NFL Blitz the same way, but we'd just do a drink of beer rather than a shot, since you could run up 50 to 60 point scores in a 15 minute game.  

On the DMV part of the 'cast, do y'all not have the groovy newer DMV's with no waits?  A few years ago, the KC ones upgraded to a system where I can just text in, reserve a spot in line, the system texts me back how long before I need to get there, I get there, get right in, get my shit done and leave. I haven't had to wait at a DMV for years.

Honestly the only game I don't enjoy playing while messed up on one substance or another is DOTA where I'm very aware of just how bad I'm playing. Everything else basically feels great though.

When playing final fantasy 7 way back in the day, I'd hit a wall for some reason or other and ended up using a bottle of whiskey and a 20 odd hour marathon to push through to the end. I don't think I've had made it sober.

yes I'm old as dirt because I was old enough to buy myself booze at the time (although granted, the drinking age in Canada is lower, doing some rough math I think I might have been of age in the US as well.)

I tried ketamine once, and happened to be playing Singularity at the time. I stopped after about 15 minutes because everything seemed like it had slight input lag, and I couldn't react to enemies properly.

That was fun as hell.

I once did something similar with a friend of mine.  I was visiting him and we for some reason decided to play drinking Day of Defeat.  We both joined the same game but on opposite teams.  Every time the other guy killed you, you have to take a shot (we were also drinking Jager).  This was a HORRIBLE idea for me because he's way better at the game than I am.

Also WarioWare: Smooth Moves for the Wii is the best drinking game of all time.  It's a game that relies upon making stupid poses while playing 5 second minigames that require reflexes and timing.  And the multiplayer modes are perfect for choosing who has to take the shot.  Just don't have anything breakable nearby.

"Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic "

It's crazy how quickly a subtitle turns my childhood favourite Age of Wonders series into a Game of War: Fire Age name. 

I just remembered it was two shots if your opponent scored on a turnover or kick return play. My god we were stupid.

The Pillows and FLCL are both fantastic!

I got all misty eyed while driving between jobs and listening to the part where they talked about women and the poop industry after that guys mail. You guys should all run for president! Exept Breckon, he's in a league of his own!

Man I am really excited about the idea of a $950 king size foam latex mattress.  Adulthood!

Between like, Audible, Hover, and Simple, I think I've made more intentional purchasing decisions from podcast advertising than ads in any other form of media in the last few years.

Man I am really excited about the idea of a $950 king size foam latex mattress.  Adulthood!

In reverse adulthood, I was amazed to hear a mattress would cost $500/€460, I have never had to buy one ever and I always thought it'd be not that much alongside the bed frame...

I really hope the mattress site advertises with the Thumbs again (or the Bombcast), because I'd like to buy a real bed when I finally get to Halifax.

I assume they would advertise with the Bombcast, and Jeff would use the opportunity to talk about his performance-enhancing sheets again.

I bought a very similar mattress from a different company a couple of years ago, and I have to say I love it.  It's been hands down the best bed I have ever owned.  So yeah, if you're in the market for a bed, this type is definitely quality. 

xUObfVW.gif

I guess I had never noticed that the text speed was so slow. 

They did fix it for the Ages/Seasons games:

JxExNcE.png?1

A friend of mine loved when she found out about emulators because she was able to up the walking speed on the old Pokémon games and not deal with the arbitrary slowness. It's especially weird in RPGs like that were you can get a bike or running shoes, so they clearly recognise people want to go faster, but they only allow for it if you get the extra other thing (which also has limitations for how you can use it anyway).

In reverse adulthood, I was amazed to hear a mattress would cost $500/€460, I have never had to buy one ever and I always thought it'd be not that much alongside the bed frame...

I'm pretty sure you can get one for a lot less if you're not interested in hi-end space mattress tech and stuff.

I'm pretty sure you can get one for a lot less if you're not interested in hi-end space mattress tech and stuff.

I presume so, but hearing it called reasonable was very odd to me. I could probably make a full list of the things I've spent that much money on that wasn't rent.

Maybe I am completely off base on my knowledge of mattresses, but from what I learned when shopping for one the quality of mattress you can buy with your money degrades very quickly below about $500. You likely wouldn't want to buy one for less than that if the opportunity presents. So if you can get a high quality mattress for $500ish that sounds like an awesome deal.

I have no opinion on that particular mattress, but in general I'll say that you shouldn't cheap out on mattresses. You spend an amazing amount of hours per day on it, and it should probably be one of the nicest things you own. Possibly followed by desk chairs.