Chris

Idle Thumbs 202: Poopwater, New Mexico

Idle Thumbs 202:

670__header.jpg

Poopwater, New Mexico

Take a right at Normal and cruise on down past Weird and make your way to Poopwater, New Mexico, where the streets ain't straight and your water don't flow like it should.

Things Discussed: Cities: Skylines, Hotline Miami 2, Far Cry 4, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

I laughed so hard at the 3D effects joke. Just guffaws right out of the gate. Now you guys are talking about Cities: Skylines so I'm really happy.

Danielle "420 no scope eagle headshot" Riendieau, Jake "Snood Snob" Rodkin, Sean "DOTA Dad" Vanaman, And Chris "childhood wonder" Remo had a great podcast this week.

What a great podcast. One of the all-time greats! Loved all the discussion of getting high, dumb kids, and terrible cities. I have never played a city-building game before and I am finding Skylines incredibly tough. I am always at the slowest speed and constantly pausing because I'm overwhelmed by all the systems. I also have found I tend to chat with myself while playing to keep myself focused. I have never been able to become any good at slower-paced strategic number-y games. I couldn't get into Civ or Total War either. But I really want to try for this game. It seems super fun!

I've never been high and played a video game, but I have drunk and played Gran Turismo. And I have learned from this that DRINK DRIVING IS BAD KIDS.

I figure people might want to look these up, like me:

Golden Girls theme

Matlock theme

My dad used to play nothing but Snood, and this old Mac game called Blobbo:

Now he just plays Peggle.

Now he just plays Peggle.

I introduced my dad to Bookworm in the mid 2000's and after he achieved such a ludicrously high score I decided to get him the entire Popcap collection. He sent me an email about a week later with an album of screenshots showcasing his 100% game completion (including all challenge levels) in Peggle. He still plays Bookworm.

My dad plays Angry Birds these days. That's it. He's the guy who has every pack of maps and perfect scores on all of them. This is weird (especially since he'll lay back in his recliner and play it until his afternoon nap sets in) but a lot less annoying than him calling me all dadstraught over the fact that Myst and Descent and that weird space train/monorail game he played that came out around then stopped working on his Vista desktop.

Growing up I must have been exposed to too much sensational news or seen some traumatizing movie.  Even though we lived in the suburbs I was convinced up until middle school that drive by shootings were a regular and common occurrence.  If I was in the driveway and a car was driving by I would shield myself behind our van in the hopes it would stop the bullets.  Kids are weird.

Also my mother has gone through three phases with computer games.  Mahjong, Snood, and Bejeweled, I hope she never discovers Facebook games.

I can't believe you guys went with "Snood Snob" and not "Snood Snoot." You're losing it!

Also, what the fuck is Snood?

Chris: This is Idle Thumbs 202.

Danielle: Two hundred and Number 2.

This is a quality way to start an episode, I approve. 

My first thought for the Are You Afraid of the Dark vs Old Music comparison was Futurama vs Old Music. I believe that the Futurama theme writer has directly said Psyche Rock was the inspiration, but outside of instrumentation it's basically just the song.

My dad and I share a Steam account (please don't tell Valve, thanks) and when I left for work this morning it said he was playing EU IV. Wish I could play as many video games as ol' dad, though I suppose he's earned it.

I loved Snood. Snood was the worst/best.

I like how none of the thumbs picked up on that mom calling her kid a mistake.

I like how none of the thumbs picked up on that mom calling her kid a mistake.

Oh my god, tegan.

Polish Hill, on 19 Mar 2015 - 13:40, said:

Snood looks just as terrible as I remember it looking

snood1.jpg

"Snoods Used" is quite the turn of phrase.

I've never been high and played a video game, but I have drunk and played Gran Turismo. And I have learned from this that DRINK DRIVING IS BAD KIDS.

You should definitely not play XCOM while drunk. That bottle of whisky in the commander's drawer cost us the membership of two countries and a satellite array over Canada.

You should definitely not play XCOM while drunk. That bottle of whisky in the commander's drawer cost us the membership of two countries and a satellite array over Canada.

Minecraft drunk is a disaster, the blocky graphics make me feel ill and I have a lot of trouble building in a straight line while tipsy.