Ucantalas

Meow.

I just discovered this thread! Can I gush? Is that ok?

We adopted Finn one week after we moved to NYC. She was a tiny baby when we got her - 2.5 lbs and 2 1/2 months old.

Finn, early November:

https://twitter.com/Danielleri/status/665169446634283008

Her, today:

https://twitter.com/Danielleri/status/683712758160986112

She's adventurous and super, super affectionate. This probably has to do with the fact that we got her so young and we love holding her and walking around the house, but she doesn't go long in between cuddles. (And she sort of likes me better than my gf, but I just think it's because she spends more time with me!)

Every morning, she likes to give me kisses and spoon for a bit. Even when she naps, she likes to have her head and at least one paw on me. She's just a little snugglebunny, and I couldn't be happier.

I've never had a pet before, and I am head over heels in love with our little furball. I can't get over how loving and sweet she is (whenever I'm upset, she comes over to investigate and try to cuddle). I seriously miss her when I'm away for any length of time - even just when I'm out to class. I didn't see her for four days at Christmas and I think I almost died.

Is this normal?

We're thinking of getting a puppy sometime soon, so I was wondering if folks have any advice for kitty/puppy harmony. Finn is still a baby at 4 months (we've heard it's good to introduce them young so they can grow up together)... anything else we should be aware of?

Please feel free to spam the thread with as many kitty pictures and gushes as possible :)

I'm not a dog person, but from what I do know, the younger the better to get them to bond, or at least tolerate, one another. Dogs especially need a lot of socialization when young if you want them to always be chill with new animals and people.  Like, ideally you'd want a young dog to meet dozens of other people and dogs during its first year (hence part of the point of dog parks). 

Hmm, I have two cats and two dogs and they get along okay, in that they don't really like eachother but they also don't kill eachother upon hashing out their differences. One of the dogs is smaller than either cats and one is slightly bigger. The dogs were both introduced to the cats when they were young.

The general fear is the dog could kill the cat, but some cats get very aggressive about dogs as well. You can somewhat go by dog breed on whether or not they will want to kill cats, like a dachsund is supposed to be a surefire cat killer, but also my wife has had two of her parent's dachsunds over for short stays for vet trips (she's a vet tech) and they had no issues with our cats. The third one however wanted to kill them and had to stay in a kennel the whole time. So even then the breed is not a surefire thing. Some people say big dogs are nicer with cats too but maybe not always? To me, everything I've seen just depends so much on personality and the amount of socialization, like Bjorn was saying.

I think there's even a case to be made that your dog wants you to tell them what is okay to kill. We also have two rats and while you probably could not train a cat to not want to kill a rat if it wanted, we have made it clear to the dogs to sit or stand down when we are handling the rats. I think they might want to eat them since one shook that possum in the backyard once, but won't do it because it's our environment and they are "instructed" to not kill these rats. I don't know seems sound maybe?

But as far as cat and dog integration, what we actually did was just request of the rescue shelter for each dog to allow us to take the cat over and see how the dog reacts. They just put them both in a room with us supervising and no issues every time. Actually we did this with our second rescue cat, bringing the first dog to check, since some cats will flip out and hiss when a dog is near their cage, and still no issues. I suppose this doesn't really clear up any possible territorial issues you might have at home with either cat and dog, but it does check for any knee jerk aggression. Then just make sure to supervise the dog when you are home and they are around the cats and put the dog back into the kennel when you are away, at least until you can trust it with cats (or not tearing up your stuff and eating things it shouldn't be eating as well).

One of our kitties is very behaviorally challenged, winding himself into bawling/crying fits that we have not been able to break him of (usually to go out, but not always). Logically I understand how to train a cat, but maintaining good training habits at 3 in the morning when he's woken us up by screaming in our face is....difficult.  But he's also by far our most affectionate cat.  When he's not screaming, he's awesome, and he's awesome like 98 percent of the time.

So, he's becoming an outside cat at night.  It's just too hard to get a good night's sleep with him inside, and our house isn't big enough to lock him in a room overnight without still being able to hear him.  So over the holidays I built him a sweet little kitty house.  There's a low grade heat lamp inside that keeps it between 70-80 degress.  Soft blankies to sleep on.  I do feel bad tossing his ass out into the cold at night, but we're at our wits end of dealing with him. 

Also, the lady scored that sweet ass stone sign at Goodwill for $1.75.  Best Goodwill purchase ever.  I need to do some other prettying work to it.  The lady will probably burn some decorative stuff into the wood, shingle it, paint his name on it somewhere.  But it works for now. Also managed to build it with lumber left over from other projects!  I always like putting scrap to good use.  The top is hinged and latched for easy access.

post-33601-0-36712400-1452095282_thumb.jpg

Boring non-fun response: I thought the idea was that cats miaows are a weird extension of the sounds that kittens make to their mothers, because of the somewhat parental relationship pet-owners have with their pets. Cats don't tend to miaow at one another because they're adults and don't expect food or other help from each other. So cats miaowing at you are basically crying like babies.

My girlfriend brought her older dog over with her to spend the weekend, and the animals met for the first time.

beJZNyf.jpg

5f9SCen.png

Seems like a success to me. When I tried that my cat ran out the door and didn't come back for three days.

Man your cat is so cute badfinger.

Seems like a success to me. When I tried that my cat ran out the door and didn't come back for three days.

Aww, thanks! Yes, seems like it's been fairly successful. There's been some growling and hissing, but they both seem to share the same temperament (don't mess with me I won't mess with you. But seriously don't mess with me).

This apparently happened some time after the pup went out in the morning.

post-26470-0-36222000-1452980669_thumb.jpg

Yeah, cats meow at you and change their meows over time to get you to better pay attention to them and their needs. Cats also will vocalize at you in order to be sociable. My cat, when he hears my boyfriend and I talking, no matter what he is doing, will come to whatever room we're in to sit and look at us and occasionally contribute to the conversation. It's so funny/weird. 

I may have gone to a store in China Town on the weekend that sells pet-sized things and bought Juniper a pikachu hoodie.

MAYBE.

post-6403-0-41271400-1455079044_thumb.jpg

Your cat is very calm about this situation. Trying to get clothing of any sort on any of them would likely result in a trip to the emergency room. 

Also, that kitty has the prettiest eyes.

She is a gorgeous cat. Had a lot of health problems as a kitten that have kept her permanently small. She is 5 now and still only weighs about 5 pounds despite being very healthy. Also pretty neurotic due to having to spend the majority of her formative weeks in a vet's office. She enjoys pressure though (tight hugs, etc) and actually really seems to like being bundled up in things. Purred like crazy the whole time I was putting the hoodie on her. My girlfriend came home from a bad day at work with a friend and the two of them lost their minds laughing at Juniper as she ran up to say hello all dressed up. Success.

Aww, thanks! Yes, seems like it's been fairly successful. There's been some growling and hissing, but they both seem to share the same temperament (don't mess with me I won't mess with you. But seriously don't mess with me).

This apparently happened some time after the pup went out in the morning.

What is going on with that dark outline?