Ucantalas

Meow.

What's funny about our cats is they both hate car rides and will whine loudly the whole time individually, but if they are together in the same kennel, they calm down pretty quickly and fall asleep.

Same with at the vet, my wife uses one of the cats for various vet tech training because you can kind of do whatever you want to him and he doesn't care or get agressive, but she brings the other cat along just to help keep him calm in the vet kennels.

After my roommates and I all split up to the four winds, the two cats I lived with were separated. I got to visit one of them, Kitty, the other night. He used to be a friendly, mischievous little bastard...and he still is :3

But since being separated from the other cat, who he grew up with, he's become much more affectionate. He doesn't have another cat to play with anymore, so I think he needs or wants more attention from humans to replace that. He's got a lot of energy I guess! But his owner got him some new toys that he seems to love and he seems happy and friendly.

I was worried that both cats would become depressed when they were separated. Seems like they're ok, so I was glad to learn that.

After our talk about leaving kitties home alone, we left our big guy home alone from Friday morning with the intention of being back Monday night. Our flights got delayed and we weren't able to get home until this afternoon, but he seems to have done well though. 

He isn't particularly destructive when we're gone, as he mostly destroys stuff for attention. We knew that being delayed was a possibility so we left him extra food, and he has the appropriate amount left, meaning he didn't gorge himself while we were gone, and he had plenty of water still.

I also had set up a second litter box for him which was clearly necessary, and he didn't go anywhere he wasn't supposed to.

All in all, a success! He likely enjoyed this much more than he would have enjoyed being put in the car & then kenneled (and taken to the vet to get his feline distemper shot which I would have had to do last week as his previous vaccination expired on the 9th, so twice in a week and a half he would have had to ride in the car.)

He was very excited to see us this afternoon when we got home.

Yah!  I'm glad it was a success all the way around. 

Our kitties all react differently when we get home from a trip.  One of them just wants out, one of them wants love, and the old man pretends we don't exist and gives us the cold shoulder for a couple of hours to teach us a lesson before giving us giant loves. 

Yes, good work!

This also reminds me that our cat Fargo once was left alone for a weekend and could have potentially burned down the place with his idiocy because we came home and a lamp was knocked over from a table to a couch arm and the lightbulb was on and it had melted a big round indent into the arm. So glad it didn't catch on fire.

We both swear we did not leave the lamp on. Our guess is since he's so playful he started pawing at the little chain, turned it on, and subsequently knocked it over, breaking the lampshade off.

Luna before kid arrived, taking advantage of his future little chair

post-33948-0-27110100-1443847328_thumb.jpg

today - been home for a few days and this is the clost she's gotten so far.  going to be a long road

post-33948-0-77305900-1443847404_thumb.jpg

I'm sure you know this, but make sure the cat and baby don't get left in a situation where the former can go to sleep on the latter and suffocate it - that apparently is a thing that happens.

Once cats accept the new can opener they will protect it.

In that article there is one instance of a baby being found dead with a cat on top of it. The baby had already died. There's no reason to scare a parent with a brand new baby into thinking his cat is going to kill it.

Yeah, because that article is about cats sucking the breath out of babies, not suffocating them. A quick search for cats suffocating babies turns up a few possible cases, and pretty much every article I looked at repeated what that snopes article says: "it is possible a cat might lie across the face of a sleeping child and thus upon extremely rare instances accidentally cause a death, but that is not the old wives' tale at hand wherein the cat does so with malice aforethought". The experts (including the RSPCA) in each article all also pretty much uniformly agree that it's extremely rare but in any case a cat should not be left unsupervised with a baby, and "You can buy cat nets to go over a cot or a carrycot."

I'm sorry if my advice scared you, undermind9, but as long as you don't leave the cat alone with the kid, you're fine.

I'm sorry if my advice scared you, undermind9, but as long as you don't leave the cat alone with the kid, you're fine.

oh no, it is a well known threat in the home, we are vigilant and havent left him alone with any cat yet (or plan to till hes larger)

we put up a 4' gate to the kid's room that none of them have attempted to scale yet - so there is no overnight worry either. The white one is the only one who has gotten this close yet...the others see him as an Attention Sucker for the moment.

We're fostering kittens! This is what I see when I look over at my bed now, which means I've been more or less incapable of being in a bad mood for the past week.

j0lW3uV.jpg

Hello cat people!

I seek litter advice.

I'd really like to switch from using clay litter to vegetable litter.

One cat is not fussed about what it goes in, as long as the litter is reasonably clean.

The other is more particular.

(My feeling is that it reacts not so much to the presence of Different Litter as to Litter That Is Not Miraculously Box Fresh 100% Of The Time, but can't be sure, having got so used to wiping up gross puddles created near but not in the Assigned Place every two days.)

Anyway, are there any good tips for changing litter types with the minimum of stress for our lovely, adorable, furry, affectionate and sometimes quite annoying feline friends?

I just discovered this thread! Can I gush? Is that ok?

We adopted Finn one week after we moved to NYC. She was a tiny baby when we got her - 2.5 lbs and 2 1/2 months old.

Finn, early November:

https://twitter.com/Danielleri/status/665169446634283008

Her, today:

https://twitter.com/Danielleri/status/683712758160986112

She's adventurous and super, super affectionate. This probably has to do with the fact that we got her so young and we love holding her and walking around the house, but she doesn't go long in between cuddles. (And she sort of likes me better than my gf, but I just think it's because she spends more time with me!)

Every morning, she likes to give me kisses and spoon for a bit. Even when she naps, she likes to have her head and at least one paw on me. She's just a little snugglebunny, and I couldn't be happier.

I've never had a pet before, and I am head over heels in love with our little furball. I can't get over how loving and sweet she is (whenever I'm upset, she comes over to investigate and try to cuddle). I seriously miss her when I'm away for any length of time - even just when I'm out to class. I didn't see her for four days at Christmas and I think I almost died.

Is this normal?

We're thinking of getting a puppy sometime soon, so I was wondering if folks have any advice for kitty/puppy harmony. Finn is still a baby at 4 months (we've heard it's good to introduce them young so they can grow up together)... anything else we should be aware of?

The whole point of this thread is to gush and post lots of pictures of adorable cats! I left town for a week for Christmas and really missed my cat. There are days I'm at work and want to go home just to be near a cat who mostly just tolerates me.