Ucantalas

Meow.

post-34343-0-00214800-1434177353_thumb.jpg

These are Yuki (on the left) and Filo (on the right)

They where rescued by a local animal care group from an owner who had them only for the purpose of social status symbols and treated them as such. My wife adopted them and her at first and now we both (after I met her) try to make their life better again. The constant state of panic they had at the beginning slowly declined and now they like chilling on and around us...

post-34343-0-32620500-1434177335_thumb.jpg

and demand belly rubs :D

post-34343-0-58827200-1434177348_thumb.jpg

post-34343-0-07996900-1434177343_thumb.jpg

Girlfriend's cat Ollie with my fluffy little thing Minky. She's extremely sweet and affectionate except she won't stop biting like all the goddamn time.

Vleu11J.jpg

And a stray that we picked up for rehoming, named him Fang. Most talkative cat I've ever seen. Also buff as heck, getting him into a cage is a serious mission.

iLZwd8X.jpg

UGVkVPQ.jpg

this is the second of 3 fur piles that came out of Jellybean after getting the furmiator last night. A very good recommendation Bjorn. He's got an absurdly dense coat that it's hard to get it all out with a normal brush. I think there's probably a couple piles more worth, he gets bored of being brushed though pretty quickly and goes to nap in another room.

maya and all the toys the other morning

post-33948-0-62117200-1440798960_thumb.jpg

i love this cat so much, the big eye dilation and her soft black fur makes me melt.

oh, beautiful, their coats would give me anxiety in the spring.  

my wife says they are looking at "cat things" - sometimes a bird, maybe a big bug, or absolutely nothing - but all three will be in the door/window staring out enthralled by some magical blade of grass

maya and all the toys the other morning

attachicon.gifdownload_20150821_125619.jpg

i love this cat so much, the big eye dilation and her soft black fur makes me melt.

She looks like a cat I had called Tom (imaginative, I know). He was a very handsome cat, but of our three he probably most fit the aloof feline stereotype – he spent most of his time outdoors and didn't seem especially interested in people. Very occasionally he'd be more affectionate, though, which I enjoyed very much.

Anyway, Maya looks a lot like he did.

My dear sweet kitty is going to have to be kenneled when I travel later this month and I'm feeling a great deal of guilt and anxiety about it, as I know he'll hate every part of it, he'll hate riding in the car, he'll hate being there, and he'll be very upset with me.

We also land too late in the evening to pick him up that night, and I'll only be able to pick him up the following morning.

(we don't know anyone in town who would be able to stay with him for 4 days. : ( )

Is leaving him home an option?  Unless we're going to be gone more than 4 days, we always just leave our kitties at home.  We make two or three temp litter boxes out of cardboard boxes, put out a bunch of food and water, and they're fine.  If we're gone more than that, then we just have someone check on them a couple of times while we are gone. 

If he eats on a schedule or can be destructive when left alone, that may not be an option though.  I feel a lot better about leaving them home alone than I do about kenneling them. 

He's not any more destructive when left alone than when we're around. I feed him on a schedule, but only so I don't forget to feed him and so I can make sure that he's eating (which hasn't been a problem. He doesn't just decide to stop eating dry food.) He also doesn't gorge himself on dry food or anything if we leave food out for him. Often times there will be food left in his bowl when I feed him the next time around, and he seems good about only eating as much as he needs.

I guess he would really only be alone for Saturday & Sunday, as I leave on Friday morning and get home Monday evening.

I think kenneling him may make me more anxious and be more traumatizing to him than being left alone for what mostly amounts to ~72 hours.

I'll weigh my options. Thanks for the idea Bjorn!

I guess since my wife works at a vet she has easy access to cat/dog sedatives, but can you get any by maybe asking or visiting a vet? It's very handy for when animals freak out during fourth of July or Halloween, car rides as well.

I gave him some sedative when we flew him from Illinois to California, and I'm not totally sure how well it worked as he still cried most of the time, similar to how he is when he's in the car. We're leaving him home alone for a night this weekend, so we'll see how one night goes, and see if he might be okay for 3 nights.

He's a very big cat, both in stature and is somewhat overweight. I don't know if the dosage I gave him wasn't strong enough or he was that distressed.

Even very short car rides (like the one from our old apartment to our new place, a 25 minute drive) so he was in the carrier for a grand total of 30 minutes, and got so distressed that he cried the whole time and peed in the carrier, which is in part of why I don't want to make him ride in the car twice over a weekend.

Our old man kitty gets very stressed out going to the vet, which is only like a 15 minute drive away.  He's a big reason we just started leaving them at home.  I think it's somewhat stressful on them to not have us around for a few days, but it's a lot less stressful than a car ride and a strange kennel.

There is a all black stray cat that patrols my office parking lot at night.  i left around 11 last night and she took off running way further away than had to get to safety under the lights.

Absolutely breaks my heart but no way i could ever A) catch, B )acclimate to my home cats, C) take away from her home, especially if there are other kittens in a den

And another Maya pic looking fancy

post-33948-0-67669000-1441387118_thumb.jpg