Ucantalas

Meow.

a few more old pictures!

she'd always sit on the back of the chair, hangin' paws, when i was computering:

chairko.jpg

high as shit on christmas catnip. very rare treat as she couldn't handled her stuff:

weedbag.jpg

weedbag2.jpg

radiant as the sun!

railco.jpg

That's Big Roll. He showed up at my house a couple of months old and poisoned. We took him to the vet and kept him. He died three years ago at 18.

180317_1846299239814_723003_n.jpg?oh=1bc

167051_1846299999833_2313843_n.jpg?oh=b5

I'll concur that Varin is quite beautiful. 

We had a cat with coloring similar to Oscar, I'm really glad he ended up back with you.  Our black and white one was an absolute mountain of a cat. His name was Spot.  He was pushing 21 pounds at his biggest, a lot of it muscle.  It's hard to find pictures that convey the full scale of him.  The lady (on the right) is 6' 1", and his body was longer than her torso by several inches (not including his head). 

post-33601-0-47204700-1426311602_thumb.jpg

He was also very likely the half brother of Mangus, who he adored (different mothers, but we're pretty sure the same stray tom fathered them both).  They were practically inseparable, because Mangus would follow Spot everywhere he went.  One morning we just found Spot dead, no clear sign for any reason why, he was only 10 or 11 years old and had always had clear checkups from the vet.  Mangus' behavioral issues really started a few months after that.  We adopted Girlfriend from a shelter because we thought a younger companion might chill him out.  Old Man Tig generally refuses to acknowledge the existence of other cats, making him a poor companion to other cats. Unfortunately Girlfriend and Mangus never really bonded and his howling continues to this day. 

post-33601-0-76846100-1426311701_thumb.jpg

post-33601-0-83271200-1426311808_thumb.jpg

I miss the hell out of Spot, he was my big dumb buddy that was always happy to hang out and cuddle.

A while later some guy called up all "You still looking for that cat? Because I just killed one just like it." People are strange and awful.

Not to bring the thread down, but do you think that guy actually killed a cat, or that he just makes this call to every missing pet poster he sees to upset people?

I have two cats to share - one from my family home, and one from when I was living with friends recently.

First up is Tweebee, whose name is basically a corruption/merging of a few other things we tried to call him as he grew up. I first encountered him when I was around seven years old, and came home to find a tiny black and white kitten on the sofa (sadly no pictures of him at that size). I loved him from the first time I saw him.

rPBStc2.jpg?1

He was a companion for me through my teenage years, even during harder times when I was shutting everyone else out. More than one person noted that I showed him more affection than any human.

bMGaRh5.jpg?1

Cats love boxes. Which segues us nicely into the second cat, Enigma (technically in a drawer, not a box). He wasn't originally mine, but I moved into a house of a friend who was eventually planning to have his girlfriend, another friend of mine, move in. They decided that her cat should move in first, partly because he was already having trouble with her dog and partly just for convenience I think. One way or another, over the next few months my other housemate and I pretty much adopted him as our own, and were planning to take him with us (with the original owner's blessing) when we moved out.

yJPCz0y.jpg?1

Sadly Enigma had some kind of accident or medical condition, and showed up back at the house one day dragging his hind legs. We cared for him as best we could, and he made some progress, but his prognosis was still somewhat uncertain when an even greater tragedy befell him. Despite his seeming to get better over the course of a few weeks, I suddenly found him dead beneath my housemate's bed.

oAXVkiY.jpg?1

By some strange quirk of fate, my mother rang me the very next day to tell me Tweebee had also died. This at least was more expected, as he had lived a good long life by that point. Still, the first animal I'd ever really loved had died just a day after the only other animal I loved died. That said, despite how rough the manner and timing of these losses were, I don't want this to come off as a total bummer post - the main thing I want to communicate to everyone is how funny and joyful these cats were, and the immensely positive impact they had on my life. They really did make some very difficult times much more bearable, and I'm so glad to have had them for as long as I did.

As a bonus, you can engage in the game of find the cat I often had to play with Tweebee in this picture:

r72U3Y2.jpg?1

Actually getting to him where he is would have been pretty difficult - he's wedged behind and between a bed, chair, bookshelf and radiator. He had a talent for such things.

Not to bring the thread down, but do you think that guy actually killed a cat, or that he just makes this call to every missing pet poster he sees to upset people?

No idea, but I really hope the latter

I think this is a picture I've posted before, but now there's a cat thread so cats. Here are my "nephew" and "niece", my sister's cats Jack and Maude. Or as she calls them, Bean and Lil' Dummy. She names and then instantly nicknames every animal and some non-animals.

Do you all have layers of names and nicknames for your cats?

post-26470-0-33308300-1426340009_thumb.jpg

This thread is like equal parts joy factory and tear machine. 

I think this is a picture I've posted before, but now there's a cat thread so cats. Here are my "nephew" and "niece", my sister's cats Jack and Maude. Or as she calls them, Bean and Lil' Dummy. She names and then instantly nicknames every animal and some non-animals.

Do you all have layers of names and nicknames for your cats?

The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey--
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter--
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover--
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

post-34173-0-98648800-1426376692_thumb.jpgpost-34173-0-89707800-1426376722_thumb.jpg

I have a hard time capturing how handsome a boy he is.

Also lack of scale means it's hard to show that he is about 2 feet long from nose to the base of his tail.

This is Loki and Bartleby. Brothers we rescued from a shelter about 5 years ago. 

4c07EhD.jpg

This is Loki and Bartleby looking to stage right.

0hMWdRC.jpg

Yeah, what's with the unified posture? Did they develop a hive mind while in the shelter? Are there a dozen cats back there all sitting like that?

This whole thread is making me feel like a weird cat widower, because I love all cats unconditionally, especially my friends' cats, but have had no desire to own my own since we had to put my old cat Yoshi to sleep six years ago.

Maybe I'll go find a picture of him...

Yeah, what's with the unified posture? Did they develop a hive mind while in the shelter? Are there a dozen cats back there all sitting like that?

They... don't usually do that. Most of the time, when they're not napping or looking for scratches (Loki purring like an idling Peterbilt), they're beating each other up (like brothers do).

Girlfriend spends most of the day in our office with us, looking for interesting places to nap. 

Bjorn, i thought they were children he was between!