eot

Cities: Skylines

Just place a tiny little piece anywhere and delete it? There's *probably* a mod that disables that, though. :)

Ywa the smallest you can place is a $40 bit. 

Bulldozing it gives you most of that back, though, right?

Yea just checked I get like $30 back but its a nuisance. More of a #firstworld problem however

It would be nice if there was a was a way to plan out roads before building them. I think Prison Architect had a similar ability with blueprints. Anyone know of a mod to this effect? 

Oh, yeah, that would be *very* nice! Layout the roads and get a total price before plopping it all down.

That massive motorway interchange looked a bit too complicated, so I made a simpler version:

SWlOjR6.jpg

Gorgeous stuff, Brett.

Your train roundabout has me thinking about differences between cars and trains in reality. I feel like you wouldn't want a roundabout for trains because they can neither seamlessly merge nor easily slow down and wait, both of which cars do fine.

What a great game.

Yeah I'm sure it's not all that practical, you can just about see at the top a crisscross junction that seems to work ok though. 

Jeez, I was getting really annoyed yesterday because the game was running pretty badly on OS X. I installed it on Windows instead and there's literally like a 500% difference. Before it would seem a bit sluggish on low/medium settings at 1440p, whereas now it's maxed out and hitting 40–60 FPS. Lovely!

My very early impressions are:

The music seems really weirdly integrated, usually barely audible and not particularly interesting. Bit jarring after the WONDERFUL soundtracks in the SimCity games but whatever.

Holy crap it's a lot of work laying out water, sewage, and electricity routes for all buildings.

The game looks beautiful.

I'm not seeing much in the way of arbitrary stuff to do. It'd be nice if I had some little quests or scenarios to work towards. Maybe I should get The Dragon Age Inquiry to scratch that itch.

My traffic is for once not actually that bad, I think it's because I have a decent amount of roundabouts and I'm not packing much high density together but also I'm trying to use more public transport, which brings up other issues:

fu1amth.jpg

Gorgeous stuff, Brett.

Your train roundabout has me thinking about differences between cars and trains in reality. I feel like you wouldn't want a roundabout for trains because they can neither seamlessly merge nor easily slow down and wait, both of which cars do fine.

What a great game.

Interesting that you mention train roundabouts. Chicago's main downtown area is called "The Loop" because it's home to a large train roundabout. And funnily enough, trains entering 'the loop' pretty much always have to slow down and wait for other trains to get out of the way.

The more I play this, the less I enjoy the traffic management. I find myself out in the boondocks making scratchpads of crisscrossing roads of different types to see which ones get traffic lights and which ones don't, and it's so frustrating not being able to undo my way back to try different paths, having to bulldoze over and over to wrangle overlapping parts into place. It's really satisfying when it all comes together, but I feel like building more complex traffic structures is a lot more work than it has to be. I almost never bother with the curved roads anymore, as it's such a pain to avoid kinks and achieve symmetry (or at least I haven't figured out how it's done). A shame, since they look so fantastic when they're done well. It's amazing how well their assets look in all sorts of different angles and constellations!

Anyway, it's still super fun, despite my traffic frustrations; it has been a long while since I last played a game that seemingly swallows hour after hour just like that.

swLSyQg.png

My city isn't super huge but i'm starting to see signs of cpu stress. Anyone have a sense of cpu limitations in this game? Simcity 4 performance was abysmal but so far CS has been buttery smooth.

The more I play this, the less I enjoy the traffic management. I find myself out in the boondocks making scratchpads of crisscrossing roads of different types to see which ones get traffic lights and which ones don't, and it's so frustrating not being able to undo my way back to try different paths, having to bulldoze over and over to wrangle overlapping parts into place. It's really satisfying when it all comes together, but I feel like building more complex traffic structures is a lot more work than it has to be. I almost never bother with the curved roads anymore, as it's such a pain to avoid kinks and achieve symmetry (or at least I haven't figured out how it's done). A shame, since they look so fantastic when they're done well. It's amazing how well their assets look in all sorts of different angles and constellations!

Anyway, it's still super fun, despite my traffic frustrations; it has been a long while since I last played a game that seemingly swallows hour after hour just like that.

I wish they'd provide more tools for traffic management for sure. It would be nice to click on an intersection and change the light setup, or even force an overpass or something.

The curve tool is weird. Defining a start point and then defining a control point feels weird to me. It should be start point > end point and then curve control point, so you can see what the entire curve will look like.

My city isn't super huge but i'm starting to see signs of cpu stress. Anyone have a sense of cpu limitations in this game? Simcity 4 performance was abysmal but so far CS has been buttery smooth.

Yeah I started getting big cpu lag spikes around a 7,000 person population, they are spikes though, so not game ruining.

I completely demolished chud-ville and It is really annoying you can't move garbage dumps with garbage in them.

I have been trying to unlock all buildings in one game, any tips on 50% unemployment rate?

Start a new game and zone just one residential zone and utilities with nothing else? Put it at zero taxes and someone's gonna move in, right?

Trying to unlock some of these buildings, I turned off all my police stations and closed all my medical facilities. The crime rate is 21% and average health is 63%. Both have been stable at that for nearly a year. The game is screaming at me to fix the "problems" of having no police stations or hospitals, but my population's at 105,000 and rising, my weekly income's $20,500 and rising, and happiness has stabilized in the low 80s. This is a little disappointing, to be honest. How can a city function for a year without any policing or healthcare?

I wish they'd provide more tools for traffic management for sure. It would be nice to click on an intersection and change the light setup, or even force an overpass or something.

So I take it there are no options to tweak signal timing at each intersection or anything like that? From what I've heard about the traffic flow problems, it seems like a big part of that could solved by just letting players adjust signal timing parameters, cycle lengths, and offsets to improve progression down corridors.