eot

Cities: Skylines

Also there's no disasters. But I dunno, do people actually miss and want disasters? I never remember liking disasters.

I was a kid when SimCity 2000 was a thing and the only way we ever played it on the school computers was watching various disasters destroy cities. I think that can be a funny way to play these games, but even though there are no alien invasions it's definitely intact because you can ruin cities with bad dams.

Random natural disasters cropping up and ruining your city doesn't sound fun to me, but that said: I've got a giant forestry district and it's weird that I'm never punished for poor fire coverage. Traffic problems mean that individual businesses keep burning down but that never propagates to destroy everything else.

I was a kid when SimCity 2000 was a thing and the only way we ever played it on the school computers was watching various disasters destroy cities. I think that can be a funny way to play these games, but even though there are no alien invasions it's definitely intact because you can ruin cities with bad dams.

Random natural disasters cropping up and ruining your city doesn't sound fun to me, but that said: I've got a giant forestry district and it's weird that I'm never punished for poor fire coverage. Traffic problems mean that individual businesses keep burning down but that never propagates to destroy everything else.

Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, My city fails due to my own inability to play the game, natural disasters are the worst. Somebody WILL mod them in, but I wont be installing that mod. 

I'm finding the game to be disproportionately challenging for a game that so many people say is "too easy". I'm guessing this has a lot to do with it being the latest entry in a "one game genre**" that I haven't really played since the early 2000s. 

Also there's no disasters. But I dunno, do people actually miss and want disasters? I never remember liking disasters.

(** as Chris put it in the podcast)

I don't want disasters. It's a problem with tuning, for me. I know that contradicts my hope for variant-gameplay DLC in a previous post, but right now roads, fire, garbage, and corpses are important to the point of being over-valued, while tourism, leisure, education, employment, and police seem under-valued. Leisure is especially ridiculous right now, considering that it's served almost entirely by the gardens that get thrown down to improve property values, and tourism is only really able to cover the upkeep of the infrastructure needed to bring it in. Education and employment both serve your population even if your citizens aren't able to make it to school or work, which isn't particularly broken but a little silly, and you might as well not even build more than one police station, because crime relies on low education and unemployment that are extremely unlikely to happen because of the aforementioned systems' compromises.

Basically, I hope they keep tweaking stuff, because the simulation's not perfect and that makes the whole game rock solid in some respects and incredibly fragile in others, usually once a city's grown large enough for local trash and corpse pickup to overwhelm the basic road infrastructure (which is far from the most common reason that cities begin to stop growing and then decay).

My city is now facing a crippling low end worker population. I find it very interesting to think about when to build a highschool and university because if you educate too many people too quickly you are shooting your industry in the foot until you get offices. 

This game is excellent, and I was super pumped to hear Chris mention my flood post in the latest thumbscast. 

I restarted and built a new city based off some of those traffic guidelines from that video Chris posted earlier.  It's going good so far, about to hit 5000 citizens, I've got an abundance of power, and I just bought my second plot so I can expand eastward.

Had some really ugly garbage problems when I started (bad traffic routes between my residential zone and the landfill), but that's been solved.  Now, to see how I can expand this without things going crazy.

Wd0Y2oE.jpg

GuHLnU5.jpg

I restarted and built a new city based off some of those traffic guidelines from that video Chris posted earlier.  It's going good so far, about to hit 5000 citizens, I've got an abundance of power, and I just bought my second plot so I can expand eastward.

im going to copy you!

The big thing I've found that helps is to use your loans. You have to use the credit wisely, but if you're running up against power limits and don't have the money for a new windmill, then take the loan and try to pay it back as quickly as you can.

Your improvements, if done right, will increase revenue generation. Don't go hog wild with the credit, and pay it back as quick as you can, but there's no reason to just sit there letting things go bad just so you can save the cash for your badly needed improvements.

I find that this game is hard because I think it's hard to achieve the mental image of paradise that I want my city to be, and trying to match it.

Even if the systems aren't that challenging, every slight road congestion prevents me from achieving a perfect coodopolis. 

YjEzGHy.jpg

Operation 'Bright Flight' has been a success, those poor schmucks in the slums can't die as fast as I can put up high density housing. Once I have the proper suburb setup I will start on rebuilding the old city, for right now it is helping me build and expand. It was dicey though, at one point I had dipped back down to 5k pop and less than a thousand in income a week. Thankfully people starting moving into the new neighborhood and helped inject some cashflow into my government. 

Starting to think of using the auto-delete abandoned and burned down buildings mod, there is always a section of the city burning, dead or abandoned. It is taking too much time to manually remove them to play the game properly. 

to what end?

What do you mean? To the end that my cims (or whatever they're called) ride around the city using bicycles instead of cars sometimes?

It just feels like a natural extension to me coming from a city where so many people ride a bike everywhere and with dedicated lanes for bicycles..

Yeah, lack of pedestrian options is a shame. I'm not interested in planning highways, I'm interested in planning cycling routes and pedestrianised zones.

What do you mean? To the end that my cims (or whatever they're called) ride around the city using bicycles instead of cars sometimes?

It just feels like a natural extension to me coming from a city where so many people ride a bike everywhere and with dedicated lanes for bicycles..

Yeah, lack of pedestrian options is a shame. I'm not interested in planning highways, I'm interested in planning cycling routes and pedestrianised zones.

I guess because I haven't played a city sim for some time the pedestrian / cyclist option is apparent to me. 

I also started a city yesterday after watching the video Chris posted (and the guy's other Cities videos, they're a lot of fun!)

It was a lot of fun taking it slow this time around, spending more time thinking about where my roads go rather than just constantly expanding. I make sure not to rush into the milestones, which sort of means I enjoy my little town a bit more.

J8BNxNq.jpg

I got the same problem with forgetting to connect my residential to my industrial area, so the garbage trucks kept going all the way out of the region just to get to the landfill. Having forgotten how the youtube guy laid out his thing, I just put a one-way road over to the industrial area. I see now I should've extended my main residential road over to the industrial.. But whatever, now the trucks go into the residential from the little highway and go back through my little one-way connection.

ssvj135.jpg

It bothers me immensely that I didn't notice the entry point was crooked so my little highway got crooked and everything I thought was straight is now crooked BUT WHATEVER!

Just for funsies and to think about how to continue the road planning next time, I drew up the one ways. The green ones are potentially stupid and should be two-way.. But if I remove the one going to the industrial zone I lose the cool blue loop of trucks.. I think I'll keep it.

xmMmo3Ul.jpg

I guess because I haven't played a city sim for some time the pedestrian / cyclist option is apparent to me. 

I don't know if bicycling has ever been a thing in City Sims before, but it was just something that popped up in my head due to the ever-expanding swath of mods people are making.

There's already a mod that allows you to build pedestrian walking paths that are zonable, so you could make a city that has no car roads! :tup:

I've thought about cycling too, it would be a good way to reduce traffic, noise and pollution plus a lot of real cities have cycle lanes, so why not?

BTW, an update made it possible to switch the direction of one-ways! Makes quite a difference when laying out roads. Just select the upgrade road tool and right-click on a one-way road.

EDIT: Is there any way to easily access all the things you've renamed? Renaming things seems kind of silly if you can't easily find them again.

I keep finding new things, there is apparently already a "Proper Hardness" mod, with adjustable difficulty parameters. Workers are required to go to work (they weren't before?!), traffic is even harder, fire spreads faster (at all? Does it spread at all now?), households have wealth which lowers with shopping and taxes, etc. etc.

Not going to touch this as I'm finding this perfectly satisfying at the moment, but might be interesting for those of you wanting more challenge!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408706691

Here's the zonable pedestrian path mod I mentioned earlier! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409184143&searchtext=

ISOMETRIC CAMERA MODE!!! Holy crap there are so many freaking mods!

8hZVx0gl.jpg]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409359952&searchtext=

I'd like disasters and scenarios but that sounds crazy, I don't know why anyone would want that but fair enough. When I was editing the wind turbine I noticed a fire spread variable which also surprised me too, I don't think I've ever seen it and I've had a few buildings burn down fully.

WarmLegitimateFlyingfox.gif

Holy crap I love this game.

This is really cool to look at, but christ, that would be the worst place to live. Imagine the noise.

I hope it gets put up on the workshop, so I can plop it in a city and zone a little residential area right in the middle of that. Then watch the land value SKY ROCKET, amirite?!

I think he did already, but apparently it was too large or something so there are some parts you have to fill in yourself.

Your little town is looking good! I love the idea of your entry point roads being an extension of the highway. I am going to have to watch the videos Chris posted.

A bike lane street mod would be cool, it could be a two way three lane road and one lane can be bikes only.