eot

Cities: Skylines

I haven't started a new city since watching this, but I found this video guide to creating a very traffic-conscious city extremely eye-opening. I've never thought about traffic management this early on:

A guide of that type is just what I need. In my very first city I noticed traffic was backing up right at the entrance, so I made big sweeping changes with almost all the money I had, and then I ran out of money, and when people de-zoned they didn't come back, and then I was fucked. Now I'm scared to play because I ruin simulations.

So after my post saying that I was on the fence about this game, I logged on to Steam to see that a super-nice Thumb gifted it to me out of the blue. Thank you so much, kind benefactor! I have now installed it, and as I have the week off school due to March break, will be playing it on a nice slow day while my girlfriend is at work. Excited to dig in!

Has anyone seen a mod to remove wind turbine syndrome from the game? It's not really a big deal to build around it, but it's super annoying that such a dumb pseudoscience-y thing was built into the simulation.

Does anyone have any issues with this game (and other strat games) where you want to make it 'right' from the start and you just cannot.

Also I dont like how your city has to start from the off ramp. Its logical but its often too far away from the water and so i either spend heaps of $ extending it out or Iconnect two lane roads to the one way roads and that causes issues later. Or do you all just bulldoze later?

I haven't started a new city since watching this, but I found this video guide to creating a very traffic-conscious city extremely eye-opening. I've never thought about traffic management this early on:

Wow, that was excellent! Time to start a new city again, I guess! :tup:

Edit: Oh no, I just fell into the rabbit hole of just watching this guy's videos of playing Cities: Skylines instead of playing Cities myself! He shows a larger city he's built and it's wonderful with so many intricate little traffic details!

Ahahaha I used that as a template and made a really nice thruway to get into and out of the city and zoned it and was all set to go, and then I unpaused it, instantly went into debt, and noticed I hadn't connected the power lines properly and given water to all the residential I zoned. Instantly fucked, ruined all the intricate road work.

I just need "starting road template" so I can start with the confidence of knowing I won't be ruined 90 minutes from now.

Has anyone seen a mod to remove wind turbine syndrome from the game? It's not really a big deal to build around it, but it's super annoying that such a dumb pseudoscience-y thing was built into the simulation.

You need to mod the residents, not the wind turbines :P

Do people find this game difficult? I didn't run into any major issues apart from obligatory don't know where poop goes, first major traffic backup onto highway and destruction of electrical connections.

Does anyone have any issues with this game (and other strat games) where you want to make it 'right' from the start and you just cannot.

I ended up bulldozing my starter city entirely after I'd unlocked everything and made a new city from scratch. I wouldn't recommend it, it was extremely tedious and caused a brief economic depression from everyone becoming homeless and jobless before moving into the new lots near where they used to live.

Do people find this game difficult? I didn't run into any major issues apart from obligatory don't know where poop goes, first major traffic backup onto highway and destruction of electrical connections.

Not difficult at all. There are mistakes to be made, mostly with bad road layout, but otherwise a decent density of garbage, fire, and park facilities makes a city grow with no effort at all. I'm hoping/betting there'll be a DLC for "advanced" players sooner or later.

Yes, this game is hard as fuck. As good as I normally am spatially traffic is my kryptonite.

For me, traffic started to be a big deal at around 55k. At that point, garbage and dead people were stacking up all over the place, despite having plenty of room, just because hearses and garbage trucks couldn't get to where they needed to go. I figured out after some playing around with my cash, that the cargo trains and boats were creating huge amounts of heavy trucks that were completely swamping my already busy industrial core. I've de-centralized those services now, and things seem to be going better. I've topped 60k now and am saving up the cash for the space elevator.

Hard, not really because I've always had plenty of money and have never been in danger of actually loosing, but frustrating at times, yes.

Yeah I find this game fairly easy but there are definitely plateaus of difficulty the higher your population is. 

I started a fresh city and wanted to do nothing but one way streets and try to get away with my "everything on a grid" Chicago attitude, unfortunately you are so limited by starting money I did not have the capital for the super wide one lane roads so I went with the regular small roads. Everything worked out until I hit about 5k population, and then the dead (and garbage) littered the streets. This screenshot is after I had the issue mostly corrected but fire, garbage backup and deaths seem pretty rampant. I am just at 7k population and am using this GarbageCity to fund my nice grid based high density prosper zone. 

Sorry chuds of first city.

BBB5Xo5.jpg

"Zoom as far out as to see your full metropolis from God's eye! Zoom in far enough to see individual C.H.U.D.s crawl out of the sewers and devour people walking their dogs."

Maybe "hard" isn't the right word? I get analysis paralysis because I don't want to make the city the "wrong" way. I haven't started a new city since my ruined first attempt until yesterday (which I hilariously botched) because I'm afraid I'll get ruined by being bad at traffic.

Maybe "hard" isn't the right word? I get analysis paralysis because I don't want to make the city the "wrong" way. I haven't started a new city since my ruined first attempt until yesterday (which I hilariously botched) because I'm afraid I'll get ruined by being bad at traffic.

I mean, the advantage of cities in Cities: Skylines being so financially stable is that you can undergo a rezoning and road-widening project simultaneously in an entire neighborhood and, so long as you have at least five figures in the bank, you won't go broke. Once you have a stable city pulling in a few hundred dollars in revenue, it's really hard to put it into a nosedive. That's an advantage and a disadvantage, I guess.

I get that too.

But I do however find this game hard. Maybe I'm just stupid

I mean, the advantage of cities in Cities: Skylines being so financially stable is that you can undergo a rezoning and road-widening project simultaneously in an entire neighborhood and, so long as you have at least five figures in the bank, you won't go broke. Once you have a stable city pulling in a few hundred dollars in revenue, it's really hard to put it into a nosedive. That's an advantage and a disadvantage, I guess.

I went on a mass road-upgrading spree in my first city where I'd banked 100k+. It demolished all the buildings as the roads widened, I used up all my money, and no one moved back it. It is absolutely possible to ruin a completely stable city.

I went on a mass road-upgrading spree in my first city where I'd banked 100k+. It demolished all the buildings as the roads widened, I used up all my money, and no one moved back it. It is absolutely possible to ruin a completely stable city.

That's... really weird. I razed an entire city to the ground and rebuilt it on the other side of the highway, but it recovered just fine, at least the parts that still had water and power. Even the absence of basic services didn't keep people from moving back in and then complaining until their taxes paid me enough to construct them. I'm inclined to say that you just encountered a burp in the game's flow there or something, if literally no one moved back.

I'm finding the game to be disproportionately challenging for a game that so many people say is "too easy". I'm guessing this has a lot to do with it being the latest entry in a "one game genre**" that I haven't really played since the early 2000s. 

Also there's no disasters. But I dunno, do people actually miss and want disasters? I never remember liking disasters.

(** as Chris put it in the podcast)