eot

Cities: Skylines

The only real downside to this is if your services are on 2 lane roads that need to be upgraded, but even then once you have decent cash flow rebuilding a $10k school isn't a big deal and you can plan around it by keeping your services off major roads (which I do cause I think it helps with congestion anyway).

Just to clarify, you don't need to destroy and rebuild services buildings. They can be relocated at a cheaper price.

How do you build highway ramps? I was trying to figure out how to do that last night, but didn't have much luck.

Just to clarify, you don't need to destroy and rebuild services buildings. They can be relocated at a cheaper price.

Oh wow, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks!

If anyone else is like me and didn't know this was possible, you can click on the building and there'll be a little icon of a house with two arrows that lets you relocate buildings for a fraction of their cost.

How do you build highway ramps? I was trying to figure out how to do that last night, but didn't have much luck.

Far right side of the Highways tab, is the ramp. Note, still give yourself a wide berth- if you want a 'wide' ramp, you can make a ramp, then 'upgrade' it to a full highway(and even a sound-barrier one)!

Plus, use Page Up and Page Down to control the elevation. That took me a while to figure out.

Oh wow, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks!

If anyone else is like me and didn't know this was possible, you can click on the building and there'll be a little icon of a house with two arrows that lets you relocate buildings for a fraction of their cost.

Someone mentioned it already, but be aware that cemeteries and garbage dumps can only be relocated (or destroyed) once they are emptied. 

Plus, use Page Up and Page Down to control the elevation. That took me a while to figure out.

Someone mentioned it already, but be aware that cemeteries and garbage dumps can only be relocated (or destroyed) once they are emptied. 

Do people generally just switch to incinerators/crematoriums when they're available? I've been keeping some landfills and cemeteries around because it's more...realistic or something, I guess, but I don't know if there's a reason not to completely switch and free up some land.

Something else I've been thinking about is the 'end game' and if there is one. I've sorta just been spreading wider, but it doesn't feel like I have a lot of goals aside from unlocking all the special buildings and once I get a city on the right track, there's not a lot of challenge. I'm really enjoying the game, but without a bigger goal like the Arcologies in Sim City I feel like I'm losing steam. 

I just want to say, the "districts" tool is freaking amazing. That you can setup policies specific to each district is just... Gah. It's too good. It helps make each city feel alive.

Do people generally just switch to incinerators/crematoriums when they're available? I've been keeping some landfills and cemeteries around because it's more...realistic or something, I guess, but I don't know if there's a reason not to completely switch and free up some land.

Something else I've been thinking about is the 'end game' and if there is one. I've sorta just been spreading wider, but it doesn't feel like I have a lot of goals aside from unlocking all the special buildings and once I get a city on the right track, there's not a lot of challenge. I'm really enjoying the game, but without a bigger goal like the Arcologies in Sim City I feel like I'm losing steam. 

I think this is a game where you just sort of have to set yourself some goals outside of just profitable/stable city. I was thinking it'd be fun to see if the simulation supports minimizing car traffic, seeing too how big a degree you can do this and divert traffic to public transport instead. 

I think this is a game where you just sort of have to set yourself some goals outside of just profitable/stable city. I was thinking it'd be fun to see if the simulation supports minimizing car traffic, seeing too how big a degree you can do this and divert traffic to public transport instead. 

New mod idea: Ban all non-public transportation.

How possible would it be to build a Seoul or Tokyo style city in this game? High density of apartment buildings, condos and sky scrapers, lots of public transit and no houses. ~85% of people in Korea live in apartments and this has always appealed to me from an environmental standpoint. Also mega-cities are really interesting.

Not hard. Just once you get high density residential, don't ever zone low-density again, and unzone the old low density and re-zone it as high.

Thanks for the responses Pepyri and Nappi!

My wife has got super into this game. She's a graphic designer, and a city builder with this much flexibility is really putting her design brain into overdrive, it's impressive to watch.

Meanwhile since she's been using my computer to play the game I've had like two days to mull over a gnarly traffic problem that's going on in my city.

Tokro/Seoul style of city is probably doable.

Tokyo/Seoul scale of city may be difficult.

I just realized the road drawing tool has a grid line that will show up when the draw function is active, which can help plan out plots of land so you can maximize grid space for zoning, etc.

Also running into that thing Sean did where roads are like a couple degrees off and I feel like my city is RUINED.

Also learned the maximum capacity of coal power plants, finally. Not enough power for the drain system = Poopwater.

Edit - Hashtag poopwater.

Tokro/Seoul style of city is probably doable.

Tokyo/Seoul scale of city may be difficult.

The cities can be 36 square km

Tokyo is 13,572 km

Seoui is much more manageable at 605.21 km2

Some one on reddit has done something close to what i want to do 

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2yzafr/404_thousand_population_this_game_is_amazing/

The new patch for the game fixed parking spaces still working for buildings that were burning down. Thank god, the game was basically unplayable.  :P

So, music that fits playing this game.

Block Rockin' Beats by the Chemical Brothers (shit from my youth) came on the radio while I was playing. It somehow fit.

I have an irrational urge to build Canberra. Big gridded highways, and residential areas that are just these twisty cul-de-sacs.

Look at this. I want to build THIS.

I feel you. I really want to build Dallas, with its beltway loop and slightly off-grid main arteries, but to give it the real feel of home, I'd have to find an easy way to depress property values and keep most neighborhoods one-story or abandoned. Challenges!

I just realized the road drawing tool has a grid line that will show up when the draw function is active, which can help plan out plots of land so you can maximize grid space for zoning, etc.

Also running into that thing Sean did where roads are like a couple degrees off and I feel like my city is RUINED.

Also learned the maximum capacity of coal power plants, finally. Not enough power for the drain system = Poopwater.

Edit - Hashtag poopwater.

Coming from europe, when my roads are a couple of degrees off means they look way too right angled for my liking. :P

I was telling Mrs. Berzee yesterday about how I wanted to try this game but I knew that within a couple of hours I would probably get bored of the setting because it is modern and realistic and contains no wizards. Then she asked me if I couldn't mod it into a wizard-game, and now I am having an internal struggle about whether I ought to buy the game just to find out. =P Further investigation shows that there is at least one small reddit discussion about creating a medieval/historical mod. I hope that becomes a thing!

Maybe I would like this game even with all its "traffic" and its "electricity" and stuff, though.

The entrance to my city is getting backed up really far. How should I build roads to direct traffic in?

One way, no traffic lights til volume of traffic has been thinned out through high speed exit ramps.  Think of how Manhattan handles GWB.  That thing has like 20 exits and none of them have traffic lights to slow the main flow down.