eot

Cities: Skylines

Anyone here picking this game up?

It's a new city builder from the people who made Cities in Motion that comes out today. Everything I've heard about it so far sounds great. As to be expected from those guys it seems like it has a big focus on making traffic flow well. Sadly I think I need a CPU upgrade before I can play it, otherwise I'd be jumping on it. The only discouraging things I've heard is a slight lack of building variety since it's made by a small team (there's steamworks support though) and apparently there are no disasters. Boo! Can't have it all.

Here's a review

And a neat roundabout:

9O5F6RZ.png

Some additional screens:

m2eRZ69.jpg

RuWX0XP.jpg2Xt11n5.jpg

I'll be all over this in about 5 years when I have a better computer.

But seriously, this looks like exactly what I want to play!

I would like to pick it up at some point, but I don't feel like I have time to get into a city builder at the moment.

This looks like something I will pick up when I build my PC back up this summer. Hopefully I can really dig into it. City builders appeal to me but often tend to be rather inscrutable.

This looks incredible, and it's only $30. I'm just afraid I'll do the thing that I always do, which is spend money with enthusiasm and then go back to playing the 2-3 games I'm currently playing already.

From what I've been told, it lacks a real challenge- you don't seem to get punished at all for having few/no fire/police stations, etc. So I'm probably going to hold off while I can, as they've fixed other issues in the last couple weeks.

I've been interested in this game since I learned there were no disasters and it was a bit less "gamey" than Sim City. I'm currently working in a public office that deals with urban problems, so it the more realistic tone of the game is neat in my view.

But I also have problems with my current gaming time, so I'll wait for a better deal, even though the current price is really tempting.

This is currently available for $22 on GMG, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger. I haven't played a city-building game since Sim City 2000 on my friend's Mac.

Is the sale done? I see that it's on GMG for $30.

I'll probably still buy it after how much the podcast seemed to love it.

Is the sale done? I see that it's on GMG for $30.

I'll probably still buy it after how much the podcast seemed to love it.

It's still on sale. It showed up at  $30 for me before I created an account, and then once I made an account and logged in it was discounted. Try http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

This is currently available for $22 on GMG, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger. I haven't played a city-building game since Sim City 2000 on my friend's Mac.

I did it. I was up past 12:30 playing last night. My city is probably bad because it's all built around tiny roads but man it's fun.

Bought it, it ran like crap on my laptop, shelved it until I'm back home to play on my desktop. But I can see already that I'll spend WAY too much time playing this.

No disasters, my ass! I built a Hydro dam at the end of *two* streams and was going about my business when suddenly I noticed the entire lower half of my map was entirely flooded. Ruined half my city! Ruined my beautiful dick road !! :tdown:

Road congestion is also just a disaster all on its own! I made a lot of silly road at the beginning, especially near the entry point to my city, and man when it got large enough did I regret that! Massive blackout due to fuel not being driven to the coal plant. My STATUE OF WEALTH, for crying out loud, burning because the Fire dept. couldn't get there!

I love this game! :tup:

CAATdk1WgAEWDZx.jpg

I played a couple of hours five hours (fucking hell) of this and I can already tell that this is hundred times more enjoyable than Sim City (2013).

Road congestion is also just a disaster all on its own! I made a lot of silly road at the beginning, especially near the entry point to my city, and man when it got large enough did I regret that! Massive blackout due to fuel not being driven to the coal plant. My STATUE OF WEALTH, for crying out loud, burning because the Fire dept. couldn't get there!

Yeah, I started building my city like I would have done in previous Sim City, which is to make use of all the available space starting from the entry point. It quickly became apparent that I should have just extended the motorway and build residential and other zones off the off-ramps.

I was doing quite fine for a long time. I had more than million units of money and I was gaining 20k a week with my city of 35 000 people when the exact same thing happened to me. Suddenly practically the entire city was without electricity and although I made some dramatic changes to the street layout, the oil trucks just couldn't get through. My city dwindled to 4000 people in no time at all. My solution was to load up a save and replace all the oil plants with solar plants.

I still have to figure out how the traffic works exactly. The trucks delivering the oil from outside the city had only one right-hand turn and then straight road all the way to the oil plant. That particular road didn't even have heavy traffic, but still all my power plants were out of oil all of a sudden.

dibs, did you remember to connect it to a road? You probably forgot that.

It all got a bit meta when my traffic backed up so bad that no dead bodies were being collected.

gCnpqoT.jpg

Sorted now and up to 65k peeps.

Edit: My 71k city, going strong.

z3B056N.jpg

KGYZUC4.jpg

zJNlOz6.jpg

This screenshot is mesmerising

6WkalC7.jpg

This screenshot sold me on this game more than anything else I've seen at cursory glance. Wow that looks great.

Second city, managed to make it to 110k+. Still have another 5-ish maps to fill out. If pushed to the limit, I bet it'd be possible to hit 300k population. Money hasn't been an issue since ~$40k. 

Sadly however, it does become a bit of a rinse-repeat scenario.

• Biggest secret: Once you're big enough for two maps, make sure you've got public transit going. Subways will turn medium-density areas to high-density en masse with little buy-in.
  • Biggest bug: Two games now I simply cannot build a harbor, because it "can't connect to the route", this time the water route is in the middle of land. Yes. :(
  • Don't underestimate throwing parks/fun things at people. It can take an area that "won't grow for some reason" and fill it out.
  • Addendum to that: The secret to getting people to move in, is to saturate with services. Make sure they're never anything but blue in Police, Fire, and Health.
  • Watch your bars for education. Provide clear paths to enhancing it- this means what feels like a 10:3:1 ratio of elementary schools:high schools:universities. This will net you more money than you know what to do with.
  • Playing with traffic is a toy. Except in the most insanely severe scenarios, it won't impact your city's growth very much, maybe ~20% in a highly-localized area. But it can inhibit services, as shown above.

Probably gonna do a third city later after a map, but unless the mod scene starts putting more interesting mechanics in, I feel like I'm gonna run out of fun soon.

I just played for two hours and then lost everything when the game crashed. :(

Guess I'll just build a new city now. Save often kids.

The form of the crash was the game stopped displaying anything, but it seemed to still be running just without showing me anything at all; I could click and hear the sound of myself dragging a road around, and the music kept going. Is that a thing? I don't play many PC games.

I'm trying to build the incoming road as an overpass and then build off of that but I'm really bad at it? I am just trying to avoid horrible traffic problems to start the game and I don't know how really.

You can destroy and upgrade later if you want. Just one thing, don't put garbage dumps or graveyards where you might want to later upgrade, they can't be destroyed utill they are empty/exhumed.