Dinosaursssssss

Wizard Jam - Idle Thumbs Game Jam Interest Gauge / Chit Chat corner

Clydes sample project has reminded me that I put the source for my Public Domain Jam game up on github under a CC0 license. It's a little bit of a mess if I remember correctly, but if anyone has questions about the code or wants to know how to implement anything from that game I'd be happy to chat about it.

source: https://github.com/ChrisMaire/surfenstein

playable: http://dinosaursssssss.itch.io/surfenstein

And actually I think most of the games submitted for that jam are CC0 and include source code, so it might be worth looking around and..erm...borrowing features you like.

http://itch.io/jam/the-public-domain-jam

Oh hey, yeah, if we're doing that you can grab the source of First Person Soar which will probably be pretty messy, and have a few hitches opening in to Unity 5, but it does successfully implement the controller middleware called InControl, so that's a thing!

Hahaha clyde that frog was fantastic. nice. 

I guess ill repost this, I put this together recently as an interactive demo thing for a sound job at a gamestudio. The sounds not actually that great but I was hoping they would see how willing I was to dedicate time to something. https://www.dropbox....GtjEFbCJwa?dl=0 Its pretty much entirely based on googled scifi pics because im no artist. 

Iv since learned the audio is kinda broke. certain noises are glitched out a little(passingships) bit which bums me out. At the time i was working on this I thought it was just my soundcard and would work on other pcs.. 

I'm having trouble opening the link into a game. I'm not sure why.

It seems to happen when the guy hits one of the boxes. Also is the guy jumping when he turns intentional? Even if not I really like the transition it gives to turning.

...is it supposed to stop refreshing frames and leave crazy trails behind everything that moves?

if so I'd love to see the source code

Here is the relevant part, I put it on the boxes. Make sure to tag the player's transform and for some reason the preview-player will only show the Don't Clear if it's in Free Aspect. But it should work fine in the builds.

void OnCollisionEnter(Collision other)
	{
		if(other.gameObject.tag=="Player")
		{
			Camera.main.clearFlags=CameraClearFlags.Nothing;
		}
	}

------

It seems to happen when the guy hits one of the boxes. Also is the guy jumping when he turns intentional? Even if not I really like the transition it gives to turning.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I just used the default third-person controller asset. I didn't program anything about him. It's actually a pretty complex controller, I wanted to mess with it, but it didn't seem like something I can really mess with.

Definitely interested in doing this. I use Unity and C#. Also have some experience with MonoGame using C#.

I have an idea for a game! It's one of the more obvious episode titles, but I can't resist making Cyberpunk Cop-Killer into a cyberpunk-noir murder mystery in Twine. I'm gonna write a synopsis and start learning how to Twine. Are there any recommended learning resources?

Also, a narrative/IF question. I have several suspects in mind, and I wanna set up a Columbo-style wrap-up scene where the player points out who they think did it. Is it better to have:

1) One real murderer, ergo if the player picks everyone else, they get a "bad ending"?

or

2) Whoever the player picks turns out to be the murderer? Avoids bad ending, but might weaken the narrative.

I might go with the second one to force myself to write an equal amount of clues for each suspect. On the other hand, I don't want to bite of more than I can chew on the first project.

Here are some Twine basics

http://aliendovecote.com/twine101/#/

As far as the failstate/victory condition goes, I know that I prefer games that do one while my wife prefers games that do the other. Both of us think we are right. I think a good balance (though it takes a little more writting) is to give an interesting epilogue regardless of whether or not the player picks the real murderer. That way people like me don't feel like we wasted our time failing and people like my wife feel

like there is a "real" answer. It does!'t hve to be much in order to feel like a reward, but it should be an interesting ending in all cases to make me feel accomplished.

How about a tier of possible victories?

Murderer - Best win

Accomplice - Lesser win

Wrongly Accused - Failure

On that resource I linked, note that there is a little arrow at the bottom right. It's kinda useless without it. 
Here are the wki pages on functions and expressions in Twine which is what interests me most after learning the basics of how to link pages.

So I'm currently making a visual novel and the claims that TyranoBuilder can speed up thr process was too much for my $12.50

My initial impressions are that it's pretty great. Just having a somewhat limited drag&drop visual-novel maker that allow you to export HTML5 is useful to me. There aren't any real default art-assets, so they still need to be created or found elsewhere, but look at what I put together today!

I would have taken it further if I knew where it could go.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/odds-and-ends/TyranoBuild/2015-3-28-lizard_doodle/index.html

Edit: Holy shit, the build works on my iphone! There is no music, but I think that is part of the optimisation for the platform. Wow.

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to do simple interactive music/audio ambiance within or on top of any of the popular IF tools? I don't need anything as involved as iMuse, but just being able to either add and remove layers of audio when moving from scene to scene would be good, or to switch from one audio loop to another smoothly on the downbeat (or at least without introducing any weird pauses or popping).

In what little dabbling I've done with kinda "indie" game creation software in the past, the tools for dealing with audio have always seemed super shitty, even in stuff like Unity. 

How scary is FMOD?

Have I mentioned that I have like zero programming knowledge? (I studied FORTRAN 77 in college, but that's about it.)

Thanks for reading my dumb questions.

Here's a good introduction to twine for anyone wanting to dip their toes in. It's a 300 word max twine game jam:

http://itch.io/jam/twiny

The page has examples of other people's work as well if you want an idea of where to start it.

I have an idea for a game! It's one of the more obvious episode titles, but I can't resist making Cyberpunk Cop-Killer into a cyberpunk-noir murder mystery in Twine.

Kicking around a similar idea, although based around I Am Suspicious of Myself, which would suggest I need to find a way to make the player subtly doubt themselves along the way by changing little things when they are not looking. Or make them the murderer.

Anyway, if you want to go down the route of having fail states, you can add extra complexity by making several people plausible suspects (or accomplices) and rolling a variable at the beginning of the game. Here's the code I used in one of my prototypes for this:

<<set $murderer to Math.floor((Math.random()*x)+1)>>

Where x should be the amount of different results you want to have, i.e. set x to 3 if you want it to have three possible outcomes. This works by generating a random number between 0 and 1, multiplying it and then rounding down. The +1 is option, I just added it to make sure the count starts from 1 rather than 0.

Alternatively, if you want to avoid fail states, one way that detective stories often resolve this is by having a helper character that's working with the real mastermind, so that say Sherlock turns to Watson and asks "Did you figure it out yet Doctor?" and then the player picks one of several candidates and Sherlock either goes "Well done" or "Obviously not!" If that's not what you have in mind for your protagonist, you can also have them turn to somebody else and ask them if they worked it out yet.

If you do want to make sure that players don't just flat out lose the game, you could offer some subtle guidance by maybe just letting them influence the detective's final murder reveal a little bit. Like, you have a section where they begin the parlor room scene that ends with a choice of whodunnit, except if you pick the wrong person the next page says something along the lines of "Such an obvious suspect, aren't they? Of course, I have long since ruled out X since" and then you get another choice of why they can't have done it. Kind of as a way for the player to redeem themselves, or to make sure, at least, that they have to choose the wrong option several times in a row in order to fail the game, rather than just once.

I just started poking at setting up the itchio page, if anyone wants to do a banner/make a pretty jam page, let me know in a PM and I can make you an admin! Otherwise it will probably look...only ok.

Edit: Coods sent me a banner so I put the page up http://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam

It's real, it's really happening

Awesome, great work Dinosaurss!

It's going to be a busy few weeks for me so I'll likely not be able to enter a submission, but I'll still be around for help. If any Unreal Engine beginners get stuck with anything, give me a buzz.

Since it's getting closer and closer, does anyone want to get some concrete teams down, or wait til the first day?

Yeah, I definitely don't have a solid idea, so grouping up with somebody about now would be ideal.

I'm thinking of possibly

The Anonymouses as a game about a team of mice pulling heists or

Unmasking the Brain Burglar as a goofy detective story.

I'm still up for teams too, not super married to those ideas.

Folks who are looking for teams, you should post whether you have an idea (and if so, give a short pitch), what you're planning on doing during the jam (coding, art, etc), and what sort of folks you need for your team. I'll try and post some of that in the OP as people do it.

Also I'll probably make a separate IRC channel at some point this week that people can use to find teammates in and ask questions and such.