Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 297: Frozen Cortex

Mode 7 developer Ian Hardingham joins Rob and Fraser to talk about Frozen Cortex, the robot football follow-up to 2011's Frozen Synapse. Fighting robots! Running plays! Stats? Wrong end zone!

Listen here.

I share Rob's weakness for being unable to deal with endzone passes. The problem is that's often the most wide open parts of the field, so even when I have a robot back there, I'm never quite sure what counts as good positioning.

The stats vs. no stats design question was an interesting one. Another tactics game that I'm greatly enjoying at the moment is Chaos Reborn, and if you click on any of the monsters or other wizards the game will bring up all sorts of different stats that are, frankly, quite meaningless to me. Luckily it mostly isn't the sort of thing you really need to dive into to play the game correctly, but it sort of begs the question of why they are even there.

At one point it was mentioned how nice the multiplayer community is, and that has been my experience as well. It is also true for Chaos Reborn, and if I had to guess I suspect it has something to do with turn-based nature of the games. Perhaps when you take away frenetic action away from players you shut down the part of someone's brain that makes them think that acting like a jerk to a total stranger is an acceptable move. Or perhaps something about turn based games is unappealing to jerks.

I do hope the sports theme isn't such a turn off to people. It really is a wonderful game, and I prefer quite a bit to Frozen Synapse.

Looking forward to that expanded single player content. I think I liked the single player stuff more than maybe Rob did, but I'll concede it was a little thin (admittedly part of the reason I like the single player is I'm so awful at the game and I feel like I have a better chance of beating the AI than any of the human opponents I've been playing!) and would benefit from a deeper simulation.

I feel like it might be worthwhile to drop a link in here to the thread wherein matches are being made: https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9941-frozen-cortex/

I don't often evangelize for games, but more people should be playing Frozen Cortex. It's like a hyper-concentrated drama machine. Just now I checked in on my game with sclpls, and realized I'm about to go from leading the game to losing utterly in a single turn, and there's nothing I can do about it. 

There's something unique about the tension that WEGO-style games can create, and I love this distilled form of it so much. I don't have the time or energy to get into a multiplayer match of Combat Mission, but I can juggle a few games of Cortex and get all the drama without the fuss. I could have already said that about Synapse, but this supersedes it for me.

I have a couple of friends that have picked the game up, but are too scared to jump into the multiplayer. I really hope I can get them to come around to it because I really prefer playing other people, and I am totally awful at the game. I haven't won a single match of the half dozen or so games I've completed, and I still feel like it is a wonderful game that more people should be playing.

Do you find the community is getting sharper as time goes by? I haven't played in about a week or so just due to other obligations. But I'm curious whether the online experience is getting harsher as a core of dedicated players forms.

That's a good question, but I don't really have a good feel for it. It definitely looks like I see less opponents available though so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

The last time I tried playing an online match of Frozen Synapse I felt like I had just dived into a shark tank.

I have to admit, I'm one of those people who glanced at the game and thought "American football, and it's not Blood Bowl? BYE!", but I'm reconsidering now.