Jake

IDLE THUMBS 200

Sorry this is a day late!

Idle Thumbs 200:

662__header.jpg

The Idle Thumbs Super Show

Those bifocals you threw away and those books you burned all those years ago are remembered fondly this week, as we celebrate our 200th episode with a fully stocked six pack of hosts. Join Chris, Jake, Nick, Steve, Sean, and Danielle for a discussion of Valve's VR announcements, the life of Minecraft's progenitor, GDC 2015, and why we don't usually use Skype on these things. Thank you so much for listening to and supporting us through the casting of 200 pods.

Things Discussed: Valve Vive, Far Cry 2, Half-Life, Minecraft, 80 Days, Black Ice, Disorder

Goddammit, I was so close to firsting this without even trying.

The new music is amazing. Is it me or does it have a major Radiohead vibe? Wonder how the vocals will be.

Happy 200, Thumbs!

kt32f3C.jpg

As someone with a podcast that frequently has far-flung guests, I feel you with the Skype frustration. I imagine the auto-muting is so a grandma Skyping her grandkids on Christmas doesn't accidentally deafen them all with a feedback loop but is BEYOND STUPID that, in a world of earbuds, there is no option to turn it off.

G-Chat is a little better for this, in the unfortunate and unlikely event you ever have to do this in the future.

Ten minutes in:

• Man, that is a classic Breckon meltdown. Even Jake can't go on about having nothing to say like Nick can in his prime. Please be on every cast, Nick. Not just Idle Thumbs casts, every cast.
  • I'm glad that Danielle's incomparable Toad voice is finally getting the airtime it deserves. It's been my own private meme for months already.
  • Steve Gaynor is the master of callbacks.

Wait did I miss something, did Nick leave after the first part or is he just being completely mute?

Or, as was way back when, is Nick giving interjections that I am internalizing as Gaynor because I have trouble telling their voices apart sometimes?

EDIT: Nevermind, he chirps up at the end. Classic Breckon.

Just started this episode. OMG the instrumental intro is amazing.

Would "Lord's Quest" have saucy ads with Chris Remo showing off some neck and shoulder while saying "Come play with me, YOUR LORD" 

Someone should take advantage of the combination Hover ad/200th episode to buy a bunch of terrible Thumbs redirect pages.

I recommend something in a .ninja, .juegos, .motorcycles, .graphics, .blackfriday, or .cancerresearch.

Also, "if Toad gets disagreeable, he'll just sound like Marge Simpson" might be my new favourite Idle Thumbs quote ever.

Someone should take advantage of the combination Hover ad/200th episode to buy a bunch of terrible Thumbs redirect pages.

I recommend something in a .ninja, .juegos, .motorcycles, .graphics, .blackfriday, or .cancerresearch.

I am really surprised that rancheros.juegos hasn't already been swiped... Is pod #200 a good time to establish a new round of entirely fictionalised inter-site beefs?

Anyway, congrats Thumbs. You did good. The crew did good.

Sat here in my Thumbs' shirt listening to Idle Thumbs 200, the motherfuckin' sixer. Congrats Nick (and everyone).

I think Papa & Yo is different from the games Chris was trying to describe because the message of the game is directly tied into the mechanics of the monster (who is an allegory for a drunk, abusive father) that the player is interacting with.

I think maybe the problem with these subset of puzzle-platformer games (even setting aside the potential objections that some of these games might be appropriating other people's struggles) might be that they are the indie equivalent of the ludonarrative dissonance problem where the theme and mechanics just aren't aligned in a satisfying way. Or that's just me speculating from listening to the conversation, I haven't actually played any of these games (besides Papa & Yo, which doesn't sound like it really belongs since it actually does have some mechanical and thematic coherence).

I think maybe the problem with these subset of puzzle-platformer games (even setting aside the potential objections that some of these games might be appropriating other people's struggles) might be that they are the indie equivalent of the ludonarrative dissonance problem where the theme and mechanics just aren't aligned in a satisfying way.

That is definitely how I feel about them(or at least how I personally felt about Thomas Was Alone...I haven't actually played any of the others.

Oh, also...

It's the Mirror of Erised. It's like the weakest possible name for a magic mirror. COME ON.

Oh, also...

It's the Mirror of Erised. It's like the weakest possible name for a magic mirror. COME ON.

"Why is it called Erised... Oh."

- Me