Lu 

The Big VR Thread

I've taken advantage of the Oculus sale, and have picked up a few titles I have had my eye on for a while :). I now have Chronos, Technolust, Call of the Starseed, and Hitman Go VR to try out

Me too, got the Summer Games Bundle, mainly for The Climb and Edge of Nowhere, tho Raw Data and Landfall looks good too.

Have climbed 4 mountains in The Climb, can confirm it's good stuff!

Following the Oculus sale, the Steam Summer Sale started today, and I got Audioshield and BlazeRush.  I LOVE Audioshield! I thought it was VIve only, but am very glad it's not. You can use any music in your library, or on youtube, and get your aerobic looking-like-a-pillock on :D

I also got climb in a surprise (to me at least) extension of the Oculus sale... very intense with the Touch controllers!

It might be me, but I'm finding Chronos pretty hard, thanks to the fixed camera angles and floaty combat. I do love the atmosphere though, and will definitely persist, as I love the overall conceit of the game where you age 1 year for each "death", with positive and negative traits for aging. Given that death is a big part of the mechanic, maybe it's deliberately hard?

It's supposed to be on the hard side, yeah. It's a good one tho, probably the VR game that had me the most engaged until I finished it, even though it doesn't do much with the VR-format.

Currently really into Ultrawings. Here I'm flying through rings and listening to feelgood flying music in my jet-powered glider. B)

It didn't bother me at first, but now I'm finding it hard to make time to isolate myself from the world in a VR helmet. Maybe it's just the bright summer days or something, but I've only played a couple missions in Bridge Crew and not really anything else in VR of late.

@dewar same. I'll sit down and end up playing Overwatch and reading Twitter for two hours, but the commitment to go in and play Pinball or make a model means that I Know that I won't be doing anything else for atleast half an hour.

I have more than enough games to play, but I find myself wanting to see if Sansar is going to live up to my expectations.

I'll likely play King Spray today around 2-3pm EST if anyone is interested in hanging out send me a dm. I'm feeling social.

Google Blocks got released a couple days ago. It's a lightweight 3D modelling tool for VR, and I've been poking at it a bit. Here's a vid where I'm making a steamroller:

It's very easy to use, and the ability to constrain objects to right angles makes it better than Oculus Medium for making non-organic buildings/vehicles/rigid objects. But it's still a bit too sparse on features. There's no object merging/subtracting, no settings for how many edges a cylinder should have, no texturing, etc. Maybe for something with a Crossy Road aesthetic it might be good enough, but not really usable for anything more complex than that.

Wow. That is so much less expensive than it used to be. 

Cool. I hope it helps folks who want to play in VR get the hardware.

----

I tried to play the Lone Echo beta, but I was never able to get into a game. But I think Unspoken is free now?

Oh that's a shame. I played a bunch of the Echo Arena beta, both this weekend and the earlier one. Never had any trouble getting into matches either. Anyway, it's great stuff in a kinda Rocket League-ish way. I have a lot of fun playing it but whenever I get my hands on the disc I'm too excited to do anything useful with it.

Holy moly, that's a huge price drop. In local currency with delivery the Rift is now significantly less than half the cost of the Vive, $590 vs $1400 AUD.

I haven't jumped on it yet, mostly because around the time they launched I heard what seemed like unanimous reports that the Vive was just better. Touch seems to have evened things out a bit, but it's still a lot of cash. That said I'm now actually tempted for the first time ever.

I guess I can take solace in the fact that I've gotten a few free games over the time I've owned the headset, along with the Xbox controller and wireless dongle. With two price drops though, I'm starting to feel like I should get an ambassador program or something.

15 hours ago, Laco said:

I haven't jumped on it yet, mostly because around the time they launched I heard what seemed like unanimous reports that the Vive was just better. Touch seems to have evened things out a bit, but it's still a lot of cash.

Since launch the Vive has slimmed down a bit in weight a bit to more closely match the Rift, and Rift has added touch controllers and room-scale, so at this point they're more or less identical, hardware-wise.

I played some GORN yesterday. Its pretty fun, a lot harder than I expected. Had an interesting movement solution, you can either use the default which involves pushing on the touchpad and swinging your arm or just touching the touchpad and sort of gliding, far less disorienting than I expected.

Hey folks I'm making a VR version of my Wizard Jam game In Search Of Paradise and I need testers!

In Search Of Paradise Beta v0.4 (86MB)

Works with Oculus Rift. Mayyyybe works with Vive? I checked Oculus and OpenVR SDKs when I built it, dunno if that actually does anything. Would love if someone with a Vive could download and see if anything happens at all when you launch it. But I suspect I'll eventually have to make a separate build for Vive.

In it's current state the game is complete, with a beginning, middle and end. Only major issue is that vehicle velocity does not reset to zero when loading a checkpoint or restarting, so it'll have the same momentum as it did before the load and thus might end up flying all over the place after you've loaded. Working on a fix for this. Also of course there's plenty of spit n polish I still need to do, gague texts, better sun flare, gas station text issues, etc.

But let me know if you find anything major. All suggestions and feedback are welcome!

I'll test it later today on my Vive!

edit: it works fine! a couple of comments:

1) room scale required me to sit quite far from my computer to be able to read the text, since I only had a keyboard available and couldn't recenter. Also, because I only had a keyboard available, that was difficult.

2) It looks fantastic, especially on the zoomed out camera! However, there's something that just felt wrong about head movement in that camera, it made me feel a bit sick after some minutes. I don't know that much about VR to know exactly what was wrong, if anything, but it's something you might want to look into.

Other than that, it was really cool to see one of my favourite Wizard Jam games in VR!

Oh cool, thanks for the feedback! I'm kinda surprised it worked at all. :D

Did the in-car view work as well? It didn't put the camera on top of the car or anything? And when you run it does it start up the SteamVR pop-up thingy?

Not sure what might be causing nausea with the chase-cam. I'm quite prone to VR-sickness myself but I haven't felt it with this.

oh, the in-car view was on top of the car, but I thought that was intended. :)

yes, running it from SteamVR closed opened up SteamVR and launched the game, everything just worked right the very first time I tried it. 

There's something about this Duck Hunt Season VR horror game that makes me wish I had a VR set.