Lu 

The Big VR Thread

Robo Recall is fun but super intense. I prefer experiences that are more similar to Budget Cuts Demo where I can kinda take my time and execute plans. 

The springiness of grabbed objects is an interesting way to give the objects weight without haptics. I think it works pretty well.

I'll play more. It kinda reminds me of how I remember a certain era of arcade games. It feels very Neo Geo for some reason.

I haven't played a VR arcade shooter with so much freedom of movement and the environments are fairly well-realized. I mean, I tend to compare it to physically being in an amusement-park so that is a high standard. Being on top of cars and shooting at the bots as the jump off of skyscrapers is exciting in a badass way. But having so much freedom means that there is stuff all around you and it feels like it's too much (at least at first). The announcer keeps telling me that I should be moving around, but it's hard when I'm concentrating on an onslaught of robots.

Edit: Not NeoGeo. It's those Sega arcade games it reminds me of. Like Virtua Cop 3 .

Also I played some more. I see a lot of potential fun in refining your run through a mission. I hope that there's an option to do these missions in less structured ways once you achieve all the star-ratings. I expect mod support will make that happen either way.

Man, I ordered that third sensor last week. What a bummer.

Edit: And my Return/Complaint window with Amazon closed last week as well. Oh well, I could have used the extra $200.

I strongly recommend getting a third sensor for the Oculus if you want to play games like Robo Recall and Rec Room. It is a significant improvement in my set-up. I have no idea where the pc is anymore.My biggest issue now is cord-management.

On 3/9/2017 at 1:54 PM, Cordeos said:

Anyone play any of Isaac Cohen's VR games? I am having a VR themed birthday party and want some more interesting/weird stuff

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/08/isaac-cohen-vr-work/

I bought Warka Flarka Flim Flam and it's pretty cool. The mother-of-pearl shader is pretty and I find myself wanting to examine it, but when I bring it close it becomes blurry. It is certainly weird, but I'm not sure if it would make for a great party-game. It would be kinda like buying a ball-and-cone game or a paddle-ball for a party; it's rather abstract and requires ten or so attempts to even start trying to get a high-score. That said, it's a neat little thing.

I haven't picked up the Touch controllers yet, but the price cut is definitely making them way closer to impulse buy territory rather than waiting for when I want to play a specific game that requires them.

28 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I haven't picked up the Touch controllers yet, but the price cut is definitely making them way closer to impulse buy territory rather than waiting for when I want to play a specific game that requires them.

I don't know what your financial situation is or your interest in sculpture, but Oculus Medium is easily my favorite thing in VR and it comes free with the Touch controllers as does Robo Recall, Dead & Buried, Quill. The Touch controllers are a substantial addition to the experience of being in VR. Not to mention that you then open yourself up to being able to play things like Steam's Lab and the Budget Cuts Demo. I highly, highly recommend the Touch controllers for anyone in a similar situation as my own.

I give myself a monthly "mad money" budget to spend on fun hobby stuff. So I could afford to grab the Touch controllers no problem. I actually had NO IDEA that they came bundled with those free games, though. That's actually a pretty big selling point. I mean $100 for the two controllers, 2nd camera and bundle of games? That's actually a pretty damn good deal. Thanks for the heads up.

Let me ask you this follow up question, though... how much space do I really need? As it is now, I don't have a whole lot of room in my game room for moving around. I mean standing up in one spot and being able to move my arms around (think of a person playing Wii sports or something) seems do-able. But I wouldn't have much room to like walk around.

I have a 9x5foot space and it isn't comfortable, but certainly worthwhile. It varies per game. In Oculus Medium or some of Dead & Buried's modes you can easily play just standing in one spot. Dead & Buried's main multiplayer mode is horrible for me though because I want to jump behind cover physically and I simply don't have room in physical space to do so. During the Budget Cuts Demo I have to move slowly (it's a stealth game so that is mostly fine) because I need to be aware of my space. Robo Recall is fine, but as I posted earlier, it makes the third camera very attractive; without it, you have to manage which way you are facing a lot. Everything I've played in The Lab is fine in my space. Paint-ball in Rec Room is downright dangerous, but I play anyway. The issue for me isn't so much walking around as it is wanting to physically duck behind cover that is two feet away from me in some games.

I would say that if you can turn slowly around in a circle while standing with your arms outstretched, then there is a good amount of stuff to enjoy with Touch; you just won't be able to play all the games comfortably.

Sounds good - and mildly dangerous. My desk is one of those big L-shaped GLASS ones. But this sounds worth the risks of things and self.

Speaking of turning around though, has anyone come up with a good way to not get tangled? I recently played Minecraft in VR sitting in my computer chair so I could swivel and use my face as the camera (and Xbox One pad for movement). It worked really well, but by the end of the session there was a lot of tangled wires under the chair.

I got a Rift+Touch earlier this week! Woop woop!

However, my GTX 960 isn't really up to the task. Some older games with VR support work fine (Assetto Corsa VR is very smooth even on high settings), but newer games like Robo Recall is LAG CITY. So, I'm in the market for a new card. RX 480 looks like very good value for money, or perhaps I'll spend a bit more and get a GTX 1070.

What are cards are you using, fellow VR-ers, and how's the performance?

I'm using a 970 and I think a 6600k? (might be 6500k) and everything works good enough.

The other day I was getting lag and I realized that I had left the geforce experience save-last-5-minutes recording thing on. I turned it off and it became fine.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I ended up splurging on a GTX 1070! Just played a couple levels of Robo Recall and it was super smooth and SUPER GOOD! :D

970 isn't quite good enough to play Elite Dangerous, but the frame doubling magic they have in the Oculus keeps the sickness away. Other than that my 970 has been plenty for everything I run.

As for the amount of space an Oculus requires, part of the reason I went with Oculus is that they can't depend on you having room scale, so a lot of the experiences in the Oculus store can be done standing only. Steam VR can be a little more touchy with that stuff, but I've managed all right with a pretty cramped space. I can barely eek out a 5x5 space just larger than my wingspan and I can do a lot.

Third camera is pretty nifty, but I wouldn't call it a must-have.

I got my Touch controllers last night and am really glad I did. Seeing your hands in-game just changes things big time. Y'know that demo where the little 80's robot is giving you diskettes to 3D print stuff to play with? That blew my mind. He handed me something and I took it out of his hand and my brain was just like "yup, that's it, totally believe this is happening now." 

Robo Recall is really intense, though. I can't fathom how to move myself, and be turned the right way, AND try to focus on shooting stuff. I bet 3rd-cam would help me, but I'm not in a rush on that. 

I tried Minecraft VR but not a good idea. While it played fine for me sitting w/ Xbox controller, the forward motion while standing up for some reason really threw me off. Like, as soon as I hit the analog stick it was like "ok stop right now or we'll throw up." 

I downloaded the Google Maps thingy on Steam, but it said it won't work w/ Rift (?)

ohhh that's that sort of sculpting thing, right? I forgot about that. It's nice having some new Rift stuff to try - and actually one benefit of the Touch controllers is that now I have a reason to do some gaming while standing up. 

19 hours ago, noiseredux said:

I downloaded the Google Maps thingy on Steam, but it said it won't work w/ Rift (?)

Ooooh, I'd forgotten about that one!

Seems there is a hack to make it work with Rift. Gonna have to try it out when I get home today.

1 hour ago, Henke said:

Ooooh, I'd forgotten about that one!

Seems there is a hack to make it work with Rift. Gonna have to try it out when I get home today.

woah, thanks bud! I knew nothing about this - as actually this is the first SteamVR game that I've encountered that didn't just work on the Rift. Super excited to give the Google Earth VR thing a try. :)

I hadn't played King Kaiju in a while, the game is really coming along. I wonder if they will add health at some point. Really enjoyed knocking bi-planes out of the air as the giant cat. Probably my favorite demo game for newcomers to VR