Lu 

The Big VR Thread

I noticed that Trackmania Turbo has a demo now and I knew that their VR update just came out so I downloaded it and tried it out. I didn't get the slightest bit of simulation-sickness which I found really odd considering that the type of motion that was occurring in the game was the type that I usually have trouble with. Then I remembered that the platform-wide Asyncronous-Space-Warp update was supposed to have come out so I started wondering if that's why I didn't have any problem. I went into Project Cars which I have been able to play, but which has always made me feel a tinge of simulation-sickness... no problems. Minecraft is the only game that I have tried this morning that I still have problems with and even it feel much better than it did last month. I'm really surprised that my simulation-sickness was from some technical issue rather than a perspective in the game. Everything had been mostly holding 90FPS with just a few frame-drops.

I tried it out again just now to see if I was just somehow not susceptible to nausea or something this morning; that's how much of a difference asyncronous-space-warp is making, that I have a hard time believing it. No nausea at all with motions that I know would have done so just a week ago. I even played a time-trial of a level in Lucky's Tale that has a drop that I remember having made me nauseated before; it's fine, I experience no nausea. 

Now, like I said, Minecraft still makes me a bit queasy so it's still possible to get simulation-sick, but this difference is significant for me. I feel that I will be able to comfortably play genres of games that I had simply accepted I would not be able to play.

The Giant Bomb guys were also saying that a good number of games on Steam that work with the Vive standing-only experience just work with Occulus touch. Now that the Vive and Occulus provide roughly the same experience for roughly the same price, and my PC isn't anywhere near my living room so I don't have room for Roomscale, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to spend my bonus on.

14 minutes ago, Dewar said:

The Giant Bomb guys were also saying that a good number of games on Steam that work with the Vive standing-only experience just work with Occulus touch. Now that the Vive and Occulus provide roughly the same experience for roughly the same price, and my PC isn't anywhere near my living room so I don't have room for Roomscale, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to spend my bonus on.

Well I've already ordered the Touch. If there are any questions you want answered about it you can ask me once I get it. There are a couple of other folks on here that have Vives so they might be able to provide answers about that product.

FYI: I canceled my Touch pre-order from Oculus because I still have gotten know info on being charged or shipping even though it is launch-day. Best Buy had them in stock online so I just ordered from there; expected delivery is Friday. This means that I won't get The Unspoken or VR Sports Challenge for free, but I don't really have an interest in those games anyway.

It sure seems like Occulus has a different idea of what "preorder" means than most customers do. They did the same thing with the original headset right, shipping them to Best Buy before they fulfilled all the preorders?

I apologize in advance, I'm gonna shill a tiny bit...I don't think a lot of people have the hardware yet, but if anyone has a Google Daydream, the game I've been working on just came out today and you should check it out :) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.otherside.underworldoverlord (Also, I might have a couple keys, so if you PM me and I recognize your name from around here / the slack channel, I can probably give you a copy)

ALSO I finally played Vanishing Realms (on the Vive) and it was...maybe the best VR action game I've played yet. Really polished, and it makes tons and tons of good decisions related to VR interactions and movement. I was worried about how an action game with teleporting movement would work, but they sort of force you to 'charge' up the teleports so you can't spam them in combat and block you from teleporting through enemies to exploit the instant movement.

Best Buy delivers!

This shit is fucking cool yo.

The opening demo with the robot was just awesome for me. The Bullet Train demo was really wild. I think the audio had a lot to do with it. I felt very present in that subway. I thought this would be cool, but I didn't know it would be such a big difference than using a controller. It's significant in comparison.

After doing 40 minutes of tutorials, I made this in about 30 minutes.

https://skfb.ly/XwVX

Oculus Medium is going to have a big impact on my game-assets. I'm not sure if the artifacts that show up in Sketchfab will also show up in Unity, I haven't checked yet. They don't show up in Oculus Medium.

Also I checked Quill out last night and some of the demo pieces of art are just so intimidatingly impressive. I'm really excited about all this.

Oh neat, I hadn't seen quite what Medium put out, so I assumed it was like Tiltbrush, but that looks like it a legitimate sculpt. That...really makes me wanna set the Touch that we have in the office up and throw our artist at it.

23 minutes ago, Dinosaursssssss said:

Oh neat, I hadn't seen quite what Medium put out, so I assumed it was like Tiltbrush, but that looks like it a legitimate sculpt. That...really makes me wanna set the Touch that we have in the office up and throw our artist at it.

From what I understand, Quill is like TiltBrush. Medium is  volumetric and you can paint on the meshes. I recommend checking out what the non-artists in your office can do with it.

I just tried Dead and Buried, and Kingspray. Dead and Buried is cool, but now that I can use the sight on the gun, I want to take my time shooting and the majority of the modes have active threats. I still like it, but I need to just do target-practice for a while before jumping into multiplayer.

Kingspray is great. There is a boombox that plays internet-radio and you can just chill and paint on walls without your nozzles clogging up. It's a really neat way to just spend some time. I haven't tried multiplayer out in it yet.

Also, I keep getting weirded out when I look at my real hands after playing for a while.

Funny thing about Kingspray, they announced they were gonna be Oculus exclusive a while back, so someone made a knockoff called Vivespray (which I bought and thought was OK). Then I checked the store yesterday and it seems like they're on Oculus and Touch, and have a way higher quality app than Vivespray. Whoops!

I wonder if Kingspray multiplayer is cross-platform.

Edit: apparently it does. If anyone has this game, I'd be interested in figuring out how to paint together.

Thumbnail.jpg

Here's what I painted.

Just hung out with some rando on a rooftop and listened to funk while we painted these in on our separate sides.

This is much more enjoyable for me than just painting in Gimp on a tablet and one of the exports is a .png with transparency that doesn't include any of the game's surfaces. This is perfect for me. I'll probably start a Kingspray thread later.

kingspray.jpg

Clyde that looks awesome! It kinda just looks like real graffiti on a real wall. I like the tropical vibes.

Does this mean that environment artists will someday spend their workdays in the actual environment they're decorating? I never was into watching artists work when they live stream, but if I could virtually hang out in a world as it's being built? Imagine the early access phase. "It's live build day!" Arranging virtual tours with actual tour guides and special pit stops where we get to see an artist "at work". Or academic deconstruction tours of important works from the past.

I think Medium and Kingspray have a recording functionality so you can record the process. I'm not entirely sure, I haven't examined those features. The Medium tutorials do seem to be recordings though and I totally stood back and watched the person in Kingspray I was painting with. 

I think Quill might have recordings too. 

I will say that when I was painting in Kingspray with that person, it was like we were just hanging out listening to music and painting which is something I used to do a lot (not necessarily grafitti). They didn't have their mic on, but they gestured a lot. Sometimes I would stand back and look at my progress while dancing a bit. It's chill as fuck.

Also, it's worth mentioning that when that person came into the public Kingspray room, it lagged really hard for about a minute, but then it just fixed itself and we were fine.

I just played The Lab. I really enjoyed my time in it. The archery game was especially fun. I think it works a lot better than Dead and Buried's shooting-range because you are using both your hands to aim and you can only shoot one projectile before reloading. I liked that one a lot.

If you're talking about the Valve lab thing, I found that I kept bumping the controllers together trying to knock arrows (I did really enjoy it though!). I think the NVidia VR Funhouse thing did a good job with bow/arrows too; their solution was I think you hold arrows by the end, so your hand is naturally a little further back and doesn't collide.

Also, I finally got to play some SUPERHOT VR and hoooly shit that's great.

edit: I finished superhot while playing a Bach concerto and it was a transcendent experience that I highly recommend. At first I thought needing to wiggle controllers occasionally to advance time was sort of awkward, but you can use it as an opportunity to dance a little bit and the whole thing flows really delightfully. After repeating a section a few times, you've choreographed a little murder ballet and it feels awesome.