Lu 

The Big VR Thread

I think you get the idea. Whenever an app moves me (the player) through a space the way a typical first-person game works, it makes me nauseous with a few exceptions. So my fantasies of wearing VR and running around castles or cyberpunk cities are in doubt.

Maybe that Facebook charity-money will go into vertigo-research and they'll end up with an inner-ear peripheral on the side.

Awesome. If they keep the price reasonable, I'll definitely be pre-ordering. The Vive seems great, but my study is pretty small, and I think there is only like 3'x 8' of room to walk when the computer chair is jammed in.

I'm definitely tempted. I'm writing something about VR, which I think I started doing subconsciously so I could rationalize ordering one when they come out.

I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll pre-order the Rift. I suppose price will be the deciding factor.

I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll pre-order the Rift. I suppose price will be the deciding factor.

Its probably a good idea to wait until both the Rift and Vive are out and reviewed. Thats my plan.

I'm long overdue for a new PC and my plan is to wait until around Christmastime and see how things have developed, then (if things look good) spend an irresponsible amount of money on a virtual reality setup to play with over the holidays.

Well that's kind of a bummer when I specifically followed their warnings to not buy it unless I was a developer. 

Seems like a nice way to honor the contributions to the final product that user-base has made though.

Well that's kind of a bummer when I specifically followed their warnings to not buy it unless I was a developer. 

I think they gave those warnings before their office was flooded with facebook money.

Can't always please present and future versions of all people. Life sucks (because I haven't eaten bibimbap in 19 days).

Yeah, it's just a bummer because I'm so excited for this and would have jumped on the train a long time ago, that's all. I guess we'll see the price. If it's significantly more expensive than the Kickstarter price, I will be a bit more cross.

I just found out that the recommended specs require 3x USB 3.0 for the Oculus Rift. I thought it was 2x USB 3.0

BUT then I found out that there are PCI cards that provide more USB 3.0 slots so I might not have to upgrade my motherboard just yet. This is so expensive.

This is gonna be $500. Maybe $449.

Maybe.

You're probably right. Though for it to be a mainstream success (which is already a long shot given the PC hardware requirements), it probably needs to be around $400 or less. Charging more than the cost of a console for a peripheral, no matter how awesome that peripheral is, just seems like a hard sell.

I'm stoked for the release of all 3 major, high-end, HMDs in the next 6 months or so - I think the price could put off the general consumer to start with though.

I'd guess that Oculus might go $500 to begin with though, if Facebook subsidised some of the device on initial launch they'd struggle to sell it for more later.

I'm stoked for the release of all 3 major, high-end, HMDs in the next 6 months or so - I think the price could put off the general consumer to start with though.

I'd guess that Oculus might go $500 to begin with though, if Facebook subsidised some of the device on initial launch they'd struggle to sell it for more later.

I guess Palmer's been saying that the initial device will be subsidized to some extent, so I'm holding out hope for a slightly more reasonable price. But it will probably cost

and we'll all be told to get a second job if we can't afford it.