Lu 

The Big VR Thread

I've been thinking all along that AR is going to be much more interesting than VR. I severely doubt that this video is an accurate representation of the current Magic Leap technology, but even as an aspirational target it's got me salivating.

That kind of AR is quite a ways off, power requirements alone really limit it. I honestly prefer VR to AR because I dislike the mixture of CGI and real imagery, I prefer cohesive experiences. The best use of AR that I could think of in my life would be unlimited screen size/space for my work computer while still being able to see when a co-worker comes over to talk to me.

That kind of AR is quite a ways off, power requirements alone really limit it. I honestly prefer VR to AR because I dislike the mixture of CGI and real imagery, I prefer cohesive experiences. The best use of AR that I could think of in my life would be unlimited screen size/space for my work computer while still being able to see when a co-worker comes over to talk to me.

Actually, I do admit that my favourite part of that video was the early UI/productivity/whateverwanttoyoucallit interaction. Give me some Terminator-vision goggles!

Recommended system for the Rift:

• NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
  • Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • 8GB+ RAM
  • Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
  • 2x USB 3.0 ports
  • Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Which means I'm all set! They also confirmed it to be running at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays. Those are the same specs as the Vive headset from HTC/Valve!

I think I'll just need a new video-card. That's good. I know I have an i5 chip, but I'm not sure which one.

If you go to run (windows key + R) and type dxdiag, it should give you the processor model right there on the little system info window. Assuming you're running Windows of course.

i5 760. Looks like I'll have to spend an additional $200? Ugh.

More incentive to upgrade my GPU later this year...maybe a birthday present to myself? I can make it another seven months.

Looks like I'm set for Elite Dangerous, SOLD (so long as the text is readable) :)! I'm also looking forward to Albino Lullaby, and GTA V in OR. Maybe also (please please please) Fallout 4?

I'll make a gentleman's wager that Mirror's Edge 2 is going to be a VR game.

I'm not sure that game would be possible in VR, so I'd bet against that. If they were to do something like that in VR, it'd be so different as to be unrecognizable as Mirror's Edge, I think. It'd have to be first person to start, but you cannot take away control from the players head without making them sick.

Looks like a new video card for me too, I'll probably pick up a new SSD as well.

As part of my day job I've been researching the state-of-the-art VR stuff for a few months now, glad to see there's a reasonable level of excitement amongst the intelligent gamer community.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on mobile? It seems pretty obvious that mobile could be the biggest, quickest adoption of this technology in the near-term. Do we think there's scope for interesting gaming or narrative drive content on a mobile system or is everyone hyped about Half Life 3 in VR too much?

As part of my day job I've been researching the state-of-the-art VR stuff for a few months now, glad to see there's a reasonable level of excitement amongst the intelligent gamer community.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on mobile? It seems pretty obvious that mobile could be the biggest, quickest adoption of this technology in the near-term. Do we think there's scope for interesting gaming or narrative drive content on a mobile system or is everyone hyped about Half Life 3 in VR too much?

I think mobile games would have to get a lot better to make VR worth it. Not sure what VR brings to candy crush.

I'm hoping for VR ports of Pinball FX2 and Pinball Arcade, but I would only use VR at home. I don't know if that is useful to the mobile question.

I'm hoping for VR ports of Pinball FX2 and Pinball Arcade, but I would only use VR at home. I don't know if that is useful to the mobile question.

It could be nice on planes. I am just sceptical of mobile gamings ability to really utilize VR well.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that the mobile VR experience is going to be comparable to the dedicated device experience. I think they're going to be positioned differently, and I don't know how they're going to handle input on mobile VR.

I think it's slightly cynical to say that mobile gaming is just candy crush caliber pap although I do see where you're coming from. The quality and breadth of mobile games is wide and it's generally focused on quite a small locus around free to play and super-casual.

I only really mentioned mobile as it seems like a home run for the technology, not necessarily the content. Input problems are relevant in mobile, dedicated or casual home and event spaces at the moment. Just interesting to see what other gamers think on the matter.

I can think of at least half a dozen mobile games that would benefit from VR, and will do so now: The Room, Epoch 2, Fotonica, Infinity Blade, Republique, Midnight Star.

The thing about mobile is that the technology is a good fit but the reason people like their mobiles doesn't have a lot of overlap with the reasons people like VR. It feels like the Vita - what people want out of their mobile gaming isn't necessarily what the Vita's optimised for.

I can think of at least half a dozen mobile games that would benefit from VR, and will do so now: The Room, Epoch 2, Fotonica, Infinity Blade, Republique, Midnight Star.

The thing about mobile is that the technology is a good fit but the reason people like their mobiles doesn't have a lot of overlap with the reasons people like VR. It feels like the Vita - what people want out of their mobile gaming isn't necessarily what the Vita's optimised for.

If this is a representative example of what will happen with Mobile VR I will get on board:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-the-mobile-vr-jam-2015-winners/

If this is a representative example of what will happen with Mobile VR I will get on board:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-the-mobile-vr-jam-2015-winners/

Wow, there's a lot of interesting games in there.  The bullet time one sounds like a fascinating toy (something I'd play enjoy playing with, but probably not for terribly long). 

DRIFT is the first bullet simulator we’ve played. From your perspective as a bullet, time is dilated – it becomes “bullet time”. Use your head to guide your path around obstacles, slowing time further in the toughest spots. Test your reflexes until you find your target — that green man is never quite where you expect him to be!