Lu 

The Big VR Thread

I briefly used a oculus rift today :tup:

I was pleased to find out they comfortably fit over my joe 90 style glasses. But a little dismayed that I actually felt a bit dizzy :/

It drummed up quite a lot of excitement in the office, men and woman of all ages wanting a go. Hilariously some women turned up with her 8 year old son especially to see it, then continued to have a go before her child :/ nice parenting.

Anyway, I always thought VR was gonna blow up big, but witnessing it today? I'm thinking potential Nintendo wii + balance board big...?

Oh, and fucking minecraft, in 18 months time the only way anyone will be playing minecraft is in VR. FACT.

Gone Home. Announced for PS4 like a year ago, where is it? Morpheus is gonna need games when it launches this Christmas. Bazinga

Also, if fire watch isn't a VR compatible experience... AND isn't released shortly after the PC version on PS4 with Morpheus support, I'm going to boycott fire

All this naseua talk (I was remided of this by Lacabra's mom) has been edging us more towards the Vive. We don't have enough information to make a decision (and we don't really need to yet), but if one of the products can promise us that we won't get naseua, then that's the one we will have to get. I hope the Oculus can promise that because I'm incredibly excited about the Unity-support. I want to be able to play all these hobbyist walking simulators and potentially go into an environment that I myself craft. It's too early for me to concern myself with these things.

I wonder how much of simulation sickness is caused by the hardware though?  Most cases of simulation sickness doesn't happen because of a TV brand, people get sick because of what's being shown.  I would assume that simulation sickness would have to be solved on program by program basis on the software developer's end to not put naseua inducing elements and to tie in control scheme well.

The reason I am considering that it naseau may be hardware-induced is because I read multiple accounts from GDC that point this benefit of the Vive out. One article quoted Gabe Newell of claiming a 0% naseau reaction to the device, another was a initial impressions video where one host claimed that they experience no naseau at all (and implying that they did frequently with other devices).

Oh and by the way, you said "simulation-sickness" non-chalantly and unironically. This is the cyberpunk-future I've been promised.

It's possible the Vive has just been demonstrated with only games that are well designed to avoid nausea.

Though that would still be a worthwhile selling point of Valve continued to filter for games that... Ok wait, it's Valve that's still cause for scepticism.

The reason I am considering that it naseau may be hardware-induced is because I read multiple accounts from GDC that point this benefit of the Vive out. One article quoted Gabe Newell of claiming a 0% naseau reaction to the device, another was a initial impressions video where one host claimed that they experience no naseau at all (and implying that they did frequently with other devices).

Oh and by the way, you said "simulation-sickness" non-chalantly and unironically. This is the cyberpunk-future I've been promised.

I think odds are the demo software they ran is just better written and designed than others.

BTW simulation-sickness I was referring to military research since 1950s :P

Interesting tidbit BTW... According to wiki... as the pilot got more real life experience, pilot's likelihood of nausea increased.  Meaning slightly awkward walking simulator (activity most of us are used to (not trying to single out people with disability, just pointing on general likelihood given I know so little about rest of you guys)) might be more vomit inducing than some wild flight sim (activity that most of us are probably not used to) XD

I'm excited as hell at VR from a personal level but I have no excited from a game dev perspective for the immediate future as the hardware requirements to get a solid 75FPS at the graphic quality that gamers expect these days is still 2-3 years away from being mainstream which means we're really 2-3 years out from even knowing if VR is going to even be adopted by the mainstream.   Does anyone have any info on when the Vive Dev kit will be available?

When I was a teenager, I read an interview Jaron Lanier gave Omni where he talked about Virtual Reality and consequently told my highschool guidance counselor that I wanted to be a VR artist and that poor woman had absolutely no idea what to say to my doughy nerd ass.

Today I can go on indeed dot com and enter the phrase 'virtual reality' and there are real actual jobs with that phrase attached to them, and what's up now, highschool guidance counselor.  What's up now.

I'm excited as hell at VR from a personal level but I have no excited from a game dev perspective for the immediate future as the hardware requirements to get a solid 75FPS at the graphic quality that gamers expect these days is still 2-3 years away from being mainstream which means we're really 2-3 years out from even knowing if VR is going to even be adopted by the mainstream.   Does anyone have any info on when the Vive Dev kit will be available?

The Tested guys have mentioned a couple of times on their podcast that perfect motion tracking makes things feel more real than more flashy bumpmaps and such. I'm certainly willing to take a drop in quality if everything else is smooth in VR. Of course, I'm willing to take the quality hit for a smooth experience without VR as well. Frame rate drops will pretty quickly ruin a game for me.

This is what VR is for:

[EVE video snipped]

Does it strike anyone else as a terrible idea that the HUD elements exist in the game's "physical" space? If the player isn't looking dead center, then at least one of their main HUD elements is going to be out of frame (because they maximized this problem by scattering HUD elements to all four corners of the screen).

What if VR has to go through a "90s PC gaming" phase before the UI becomes remotely usable?

I've been thinking all along that AR is going to be much more interesting than VR. I severely doubt that this video is an accurate representation of the current Magic Leap technology, but even as an aspirational target it's got me salivating.

Not sure if this is worth checking out: http://www.vrideo.com

My friend at work is attempting to film a VR experience, he's bought a go pro rig where the camera points at a shiny half globe which somehow manages to capture an entire 360 degree space

That is incredible.. It's stuff like this that starts to really get me excited about VR.  An entire VR tourism industry rising up

Not sure if this is worth checking out: http://www.vrideo.com

My friend at work is attempting to film a VR experience, he's bought a go pro rig where the camera points at a shiny half globe which somehow manages to capture an entire 360 degree space

VR scares me almost as much as Big Dogs. Hello cyber-dystopia. After going through the Kinect, I've realized that I really don't want these gimmicks. I like to sit down sometimes and play a game, but I don't want my entire life for those few hours to be that game. I want to be able to have a conversation or eat a bowl of cereal too.

It also just seems really frightening to use. I get scared very easily playing modern FPSs, especially those with melee enemies or bug-type things jumping out at you. I can't imagine that in a VR experience; I would lose my shorts. Plus the lack of distance would make committing the acts of violence inherent to modern games far more disturbing than it already is to me. Combine that with the motion sickness I get with 3D, and I will be a sad sad man.

I feel like a downer but honestly I'm just kinda scared :/ . I'm sure it'll all sort itself out though. I feel like one of those guys who decried the Wii because they felt like it was going to be the end of "their" games. While VR is big now, I'm sure there will always be a market for the games I like to play, especially since they are getting smaller and easier to create. I will try to be excited, because I don't like the idea of being that old man who hates/fears all technology, which is what I am slowly turning into. 

What if VR has to go through a "90s PC gaming" phase before the UI becomes remotely usable?

This excites me, if vr/ar is indeed more than a gimmick theres going to be a whole new medium to explore. I think your right in that VR would be able to have its own distinct way of depicting ideas and I am so excited to think that we all get to get on at the ground level.

Damn im excited. So many possibilities. If this whole thing blows over as a gimmick i think ill become the biggest cynic in the world.

Also I agree about the potential for terrible content WickedCestus but  think the other side of coin could be worth it. Imagine how potent a well thought out VR experience could be and how  much you could positively effect people. Also yeah I don't think regular gamings going anywhere, I think VR is sort of a different medium and will only deviate away from standard video games as it calcifies its own rules and techniques.

I've been thinking all along that AR is going to be much more interesting than VR. I severely doubt that this video is an accurate representation of the current Magic Leap technology, but even as an aspirational target it's got me salivating.

I'm really excited about AR, but I also feel that this is gonna be the kind of thing that makes people realize that FPS characters are constantly holding their hands way up into their forward field of view and just how silly that is.