Sign in to follow this  
Smart Jason

Developers Commentating On Their Own Games

By now, I bet most people here have watched at least some of this cool, cool video:

This video is unique among Double Fine's Devs Play series because it's virtually the only one (besides Romero on Doom, I think) to feature developers providing insight and commentary on a game they actually worked on rather than one that inspired them. I find this sort of thing enormously fascinating and entertaining, and surprise myself with the attention I have for it. This thread is a repository for collecting all such videos of developer commentary across the Internet, because it's the best thing.

Some favorites of mine for years now have been courtesy of Idle Thumbs, of course. There's JP playing through Arcadia:

(Continued for embedding.)

And Steve playing Minerva's Den:

One non-Thumbs alumbs commentary I know of (although still tangentially related) is this one of the original System Shock by Irrational developers:

Soren Johnson has some really good videos archived on his twitch stream where he is playing and commenting on Civ 4.

You mentioned Romero's Devs Play episode, he also did a similar Doom playthrough with IGN awhile back:

Double Fine also has some videos of Tim Shafer playing Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Day of the Tentacle:

I watched a bit of this Conker's Bad Fur Day playthrough a while back, though all I remember is a fair amount of swearing and discussion of Rare's weirdly competitive office politics:

Are we only referring to stuff on Youtube or mentioning commentary that is actually within the game? I can name a bunch if that's the case.

Anyway, as far as web videos here's some from devs:

This one is pretty fun. The people who worked on Conker's Bad Fur Day play through the game and give their experiences on making it. It's a pretty sleazy commentary at times, but what would you expect? There's a lot of mean jabs at Rare and other coworkers plus some insight on the Microsoft takeover as well as a lot of hate for certain design choices within Bad Fur Day itself. It's also fun to watch these people play terribly at their own game after all these years. Unfortunately the video series abruptly stops at episode 21, the game not being finished whatsoever, but it's hours of content already, so that's fine.

(EDIT: I see this was just mentioned as I typed this message. Oops)

If you have love for the Space Quest games, these promotional playthroughs were done for the Spaceventure Kickstarter (When will that game be finished?) with Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe commenting through the whole series. Sometimes it's hard to follow because it was done over Twitch and they respond to people in the chat and I have no idea what they were saying, but I loved the commentary the whole way through. There is an edge of sadness to it because Scott Murphy seems like a dude who has come out of a rough time, not having an industry job after being fired from Sierra and pretty much becoming irrelevant. It was revealed by Paul Trowe being a jerk somewhere on an internet forum that he had a major drinking problem, but whatever I feel for the guy. His dorky scifi writing was a major part of my childhood. Space Quest will forever be my favorite Sierra games.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but this year's Awesome Games Done Quick featured some dudes from The Behemoth commenting and chatting with the runners during Battleblock Theater.

Sometimes it's hilarious insights like a story about all of the cats talking like gangsters because of endless dorm room plays of Burnout Paradise, other times it's them being made aware of massive bugs in their own game ("this note just says 'build onix'?").

Ooh, good thread!

This video is unique among Double Fine's Devs Play series because it's virtually the only one (besides Romero on Doom, I think) to feature developers providing insight and commentary on a game they actually worked on rather than one that inspired them.

Didn't the Lion King episode have one of the game's devs or producers?

Ooh, good thread!

Yeah, and the Gauntlet DS devs also had their video.

Ooh, good thread!

Yeah, and the Gauntlet DS devs also had their video.

Look, this thread is for developer videos. If you're looking for the "Times Jason has just been straight up incorrect" thread, it's much longer and as old as the Internet itself.

Also more Devs Play videos posted here just in case:

I haven't watched the Doom stream because I don't love the game as much as others but it has John Romero and 10 parts, I'm sure some would love it.

I also haven't watched Symphony of the Night but I watched this completely (and I should get to it one day). It was incredibly insightful I felt to see a Japanese developer giving commentary and see the difference approach to to Western Designers and probably most Japanese developers. Igarashi seems like he just loves to stick whatever in the game as long as his team makes cool things.