Sign in to follow this  
twmac

EGX Rezzed: March 2015

Hello,

Anyone going to this? Also, anything to recommend (I think Nachmir normally has the inside scoop on good indie stuff)?

Am planning to go down as part of a small group who write for Arcadian Rhythms  (as well as Shaun who guests for Rock Paper Shotgun now) so any tips and/or helloes will be more than welcome, would just like to gauge if there are going to be people present.

I'm not currently booked to go, but now that it's in London I might try and get a cheeky last minute ticket...

Thank you for the link!

Friday I will be wandering around and fairly sober, with an Arcadian Rhythms black T-Shirt, beanie and zombie back pack. Saturday I will most likely be wearing an Idle Thumbs T-Shirt but will likely be fairly drunk on that day.

If you see me then say hi!

Hey yes! We will be exhibiting Beacon at the show! :D Would be great to say hello to anyone from these forums. I'll probably be flaunting my Idle Vice tshirt on one of the days :P

Hmm. In my mind, Rezzed is still held in Brighton, and I think "Maybe I should move to Brighton", when of course it is held in London now.

But maybe I should move to Brighton. Or wherever the new Brighton is.

Dan will be there showing The Swindle and doing a Dev Talk (I think 3pm Friday but I'm not sure).

Sweet - will be making sure to say hello as I want to see The Swindle.

Hmm. In my mind, Rezzed is still held in Brighton, and I think "Maybe I should move to Brighton", when of course it is held in London now.

I really enjoyed that one. Not that Gamer Network don't work on it for all of their events, but that one had really lovely atmosphere. I think it was a combination of the size and the place.

Brighton, alas, seems to be in the gravitational pull of London's black hole. Hopefully it'll reach a stable orbit, but I've known a few people grow up there, love it, and find it difficult to afford to stay. It's a nice town. Everyone dresses ten years younger than most other places in the UK.

I'm going to be at Rezzed this year! Does anyone know if RPS are doing their meetup like last year?

I am disappointed that Rezzed moved to London this year. I live in Birmingham and really enjoyed going for the last 2 years.

I guess London has to be kept happy though and it's the trade-off for getting the main EGX show in September.

I know that Midnight Resistance are doing some drinks on Saturday - but I am not sure about RPS.

The Birmingham one was nice - I went to one but I did feel a little isolated.

I spotted I_smell! (Nice to meet you earlier)

Vasari: I've not heard of an RPS meetup, but there's stuff going on at Loading Bar on Saturday night.

So, it was a great couple of days for me - saw Beacon and said hello to Hollow Night. Someone saw my T-Shirt and just said 'The Wizard' at me.

As for the games, man, so much cool stuff there. The stand out was Gunsport but Hue, Mutiny!, and Ohklos were all great.

I played The Swindle and I really liked the art style and the procedural nature of the levels but I didn't like the control scheme. RB should never be used for knocking players out, especially not on the Xbox One pad as the bumpers are the worst button to use for that.

I kept getting blown up as well and couldn't figure out a way to disarm the bombs with out getting too close. But that jump and grip to the wall mechanic is tight!

I played The Swindle and I really liked the art style and the procedural nature of the levels but I didn't like the control scheme. RB should never be used for knocking players out, especially not on the Xbox One pad as the bumpers are the worst button to use for that.

I kept getting blown up as well and couldn't figure out a way to disarm the bombs with out getting too close. But that jump and grip to the wall mechanic is tight!

I think Dan tweeted that the control scheme will be configurable. I don't mind it myself, though.

Were you using the remote detonation tool? That's pretty easy to use, it gives you a fair bit of range...

Ah, no, I didn't realise about that. I looked at my gear but there is a fair bit of placeholder text so it wasn't completely clear.

RT over RB any day of the week.

I think it would be worth looking at which buttons players are most likely to use and make the default setup map to that and then let crazy people reconfigure attack to RB. The reason I say that is that I picked up the controller mid session and it wasn't until I died that I realised that there was a knock out button.

I was at Rezzed also!

I completely fell in love with

, but the developer was not around!

I really liked a game called Concrete Jungle, which looks like a city-builder, but is actually a competitive card-game. The aim is to slam down buildings and increase the property value of your residents while decreasing your opponent's neighborhood. Such a novel idea!

Her Story is a very cool game filmed with cameras from 1990. It's a police detective story, looking through footage to piece things together. A fictional story, influenced by real events, played out very well by actors.

Very happy to meet the writer on The Last Night, a really cool new adventure game with a playable browser demo out there, I told him how excited I was about it.

Nice to meet Nachimir!! Didn't meet any other thumbs at all, I would've really liked to spend more time with the people I did bump into at the show.

I think I'll definitely be at the next EGX this September, probably showing games.

Her Story is a very cool game filmed with cameras from 1990. It's a police detective story, looking through footage to piece things together. A fictional story, influenced by real events, played out very well by actors.

So they actually used old cameras to film it? That's ace, I always get annoyed by tv shows that feature "old" footage which obviously was filmed on a 2015 camera and put through a post-production filter.

I just used that as a short-hand to evoke a mental image of what the game looked like, you shouldn't actually take my word for it.

If I'm reading this correctly, it was shot on HD but then "piped" through VHS players, similar to what the Alien Isolation team did:

After originally shooting everything in HD, the aesthetic intention won out, and Barlow ended up piping it all through old VHS players and including authentic tapes from second-hand shops. "I love the texture of old VHS — the imperfections and artefacts are out of your control," he enthuses. "It’s like painting watercolour: stuff just happens and you roll with it."

Rezzed was great! I can't even remember all the cool stuff I saw there so I'll just list some cool games:

Aviary Attorney: Phoenix Wright with fancy French birds. Really well written and a gorgeous art style, the way they make it is like the webcomic Wondermark where everything is repurposed art from a 19th century illustrator.

Line Wobbler: A game from the train jam made with Arduino. It's a 1D dungeon crawler that takes place on an LED strip. You use a springy paddle to move back and forth, attacking enemies and avoiding lava. It's not the kind of thing that could show up on steam but if you ever get a chance to see it in person it's really cool.

Monstrum: I'm a bit biased since the devs went to my university, but I genuinely really like this game. It's a first person horror game on a procedurally generated cargo ship where one of three monsters hunts you as you try to repair an escape route. It looks really nice and has stuff like traps and loads of items to interact with, which makes it more interesting than stuff like Outlast where you just had to run and/or hide from everything.

Radial G: I loved this because it reminded me so much of Wipeout. It's a gorgeous racing game with cool floating racecars (Like Wipeout) and an awesome sound track (Like Wipeout).

Bloodborne: I'm a big Dark Souls guy so I was really into this. I love what they've done with the combat and the aesthetic. Also it only took me four tries to beat the demo, what now motherfuckers

Gunsport: I'd never heard of this one before but it's the kind of game I love. It's like volleyball + Windjammers but all the players shoot the ball with guns. It sounds dumb but it plays really well and the art style makes it look like Street Fighter 2.

I unfortunately didn't get a chance to sit and play Her Story or Beacon :( I also got a free hotline miami tshirt at the loading bar and then left it behind, which I'm really upset about. It was a fantastic show though.