I started watching Steal My Sunshine and I don't know if I can even finish the first one.  I'm going to echo a few others here and say that watching them play is making me twitch in all the wrong ways.  The fact that they seem to regard Dan as some kind of high level expert is driving me insane because from what I've seen of him play he's not that good.  Maybe I've seen too many speedruns of it and am used to actual high level play but the lack of even basic Mario proficiency is frustrating me.  I'm pretty sure if I were in the room I would have ripped the controller from their hands long ago and finished the game myself.

The overriding feeling I have thinking back to when I played Super Mario Sunshine for the first time is one of frustration though. It's a frustrating Mario game to control in my memory. It's just inaccurate and rage inducing in its bullshit. Mario falling into slides when you feel like he shouldn't, hit any wall jump at an off angle and get bounced in an unintuitive direction,  levels designed around the jet pack meaning it 's mostly tiny and thin platforms everywhere. and like 60% of all the shines are "collect # of this". If you're playing this game only for an hour and a half (divided amongst 4 people) a week or so, it's pretty understandable why that mastery isn't there. Just every level I see them going in is one where I think "I remember this! What a chore..."

Just wait until they get back to that level with the village where the fire doggies were. Under that level, the bit with the mushrooms. Fuck the collision on that bullshit! Fuck Super Mario Sunshine! A bad 3D Mario game, in my opinion.

That said, I get the the frustration on watching people struggle to play a game competently. But eh, I like the banter!

Oh I like everything about it that's not the part where they actually play.  And I wouldn't have nearly the issue if I wasn't proficient in a game myself.  I haven't watched any of the Xcom stuff because that series just doesn't interest me but I probably wouldn't mind inept play since I'm not competent either.  I don't mean to suggest they should be able to do crazy jumps or speedrun strats.  It's when simple things that I think of as Mario staples like a triple jump elude them.  Abby I can kind of excuse since she's probably too young to have the back history (which in itself serves as a depressing reminder of how old I feel) but I can't help but feel like the rest of them should know better.

On 9/11/2017 at 6:44 AM, ratamero said:

I regret to inform Dan Ryckert is at it again. I closed the newest Exquisite Corps 7:30 in before I felt angry about it. I feel like Dan is just dragging this feature down with no other payoff other than "I get to play an asshole".

Have to agree, it would be slightly different if he was playing a jerk who was really great at the game but he's both terrible and his coward shtick is annoying

The latest Abby episode is pretty great, though. I'm glad they're pushing back against Dan's nonsense a bit, but making a story out of it.

On 9/19/2017 at 5:05 AM, James said:

The latest Abby episode is pretty great, though. I'm glad they're pushing back against Dan's nonsense a bit, but making a story out of it.

Yeah that made me feel better about the series, she really pulled the game out of the garbage - I was afraid they were about to hit the death spiral in that game. I guess that would lead them canonically to XCOM2 though, hah. 

I feel like they are doing pretty decent with their decision making currently in xcom but those panic levels still keep drifting up...The mech is pretty cool

when talking about wario on the latest episode and how wario is greedy:

dan: "there's nothing wrong with greed"
vinny: "ttthat's an interesting statement..."
dan, clarifying: "wario likes money, i like money, everyone likes money!"

jesus christ

I'm listening to old episodes of the Bombcast and Dan talks about how the show Making a Murderer made him realize the justice system is messed up when previously he "just figured everything worked out the way it should" and all I could think of is that Making a Murderer is a show about a white person being chewed up by the system.

I'd wager he's forgotten all that now and would make the same statement again about a different show/whatever.

He is probably so distracted by having to make a song out of every two word item he sees.

That bit was delightful.

I've been a Dan defender in this thread before, but if one moment were to sum up my criticisms of Dan, it was the excitement he expressed at the idea of being a narc during this week's Giant Bombcast.

Yeah, it is awesome! Probably my favorite feature since Project B.E.A.S.T.

Abby's latest, Exquisite Corps 25 is worth your time.

Spoiler

She crushes an absolutely unfair mission that made me rage quit at least one XCOM playthrough, the decision to send the high jump gene modded solider onto the ship was ace

That was the mission that killed my first EW playthrough. It came around super early. I didn't even have lasers.