Video Games Hot Dog is 100% not what you're looking for, but it's a really good and funny as hell video game podcast, with the perspective of 4 people who make video games.

Yeah, it's definitely not what I'm looking for. Also, I have listened to AN episode of it and the hosts kinda put me off, though that's not a judgment on their thing as much as a sign of how fickle I am when it comes to podcasts.

Polygon show is great! I'm not a big fan of Plant/Frushstick so I kind of bounced off of that show.  It's hard to find a replacement for Jeff's history lessons - I always find his knowledge of the industry pretty interesting. 

Yeah, the problem is that I find he's had less and less enthusiasm over the course of this year, and there's been more and more Jason who makes every game he's ever played sound like the same thing.

1 hour ago, Patrick R said:

Yeah, the problem is that I find he's had less and less enthusiasm over the course of this year, and there's been more and more Jason who makes every game he's ever played sound like the same thing.

To be fair there's a reason all the things Jason talks about sound really similar.

I miss the video game news podcast, where a man talked about video game news as if he were reading the video game newspaper.

Does anyone listen to 8-4 Play? I've heard that's good but I just don't care much 'bout games from Japan very often.

5 hours ago, ratamero said:

Also, Dan "doesn't get" eggs. I love the Beastcast but it's been so hard to listen to every time Dan decided to do some of his bits.

Fucking seriously.

I don't like Besties at all. I gave Polygon Show one episode but was bored... I'll probably give it another since everyone seems to like it, but I dunno.

I remember 8-4 being even longer than GB's stuff and I didn't like it, but that was literally years ago.

I really should give VGHD a chance.

Crate and Crowbar, I want to like, but honestly I think I'm about to drop it.

I dunno about video games anymore. I think they're dead??

7 hours ago, Gwardinen said:

In principle I like the idea but the first two episodes have actually just been very frustrating for me. I don't necessarily need everyone who's recording something to be a pro player, but when they don't even bother to read basic instructions it does kind of bother me. Hopefully as time goes on and they get more familiar with the game this will be less of an issue.

Oh it's maddening for sure, but I still enjoy it. I don't really mind the players fucking up, but I got pretty wound up about Vinny giving specifically counterproductive advice, like having one character start their turn with an overwatch and have another one sprint from behind, meaning they missed out on a meld. But I still really like it. 

@miffy495 That stage in Steal My Sunshine exhibited one of my least favourite things that Giant Bomb does: missing something that seems obvious to me, then getting mad at the game about it. It's something I usually associate with Brad, but on this occasion Vinny was doing it pretty badly. Like, it becomes obvious pretty early on that if you spray the chain chomps from a distance (before they charge you) they run away, but he still kept spraying them from miles off and getting frustrated when they disappeared into the distance. Also, reasoning that losing health to the fiery paint was "worth it" to get a chain chomp into the water seems pretty silly when taking damage also makes you drop the tail before you can launch it. 

I don't know, I should be more laid back, and I'm no Mario Sunshine apologist, but sometimes I feel like they aren't meeting games half way. 

On the other hand, Abbys's ridiculous acrobatic showboating at the start of that jetpackless stage was incredible. I really enjoy that series most of the time. 

6 hours ago, James said:

Like, it becomes obvious pretty early on that if you spray the chain chomps from a distance (before they charge you) they run away, but he still kept spraying them from miles off and getting frustrated when they disappeared into the distance.

To be fair, that mechanic is not very intuitive.

19 hours ago, Patrick R said:

Sometimes I feel they play bad for show, because it's funnier that way.

At this point I think I only listen to the Bombcast because I like staying abreast on the industry and it's the only podcast I know that cuts so wide a path between news and games they've been playing and emulation stuff and I like when Jeff talks about video game history. If someone can recommend another video game podcast that has the same approach but less of a tendency to reduce all games to "You upgrade your weapons, there's a skill tree. The shooting feels good. It feels tight. The netcode is ok." I'd check it out.

Waypoint is good but more focused on a few topics per episode and I can't really get behind any of the episodes where Austin isn't there, which is disappointingly frequent (if understandable). And then Beastcast has Dan. The only other non-Thumbs video game podcast I've listened to is Crate and Crowbar, which had bad audio and seemed to focus exclusively on PC Games.

Not sure when you last listened to C&C but they seemed to have improved their audio equipment sometime last year (I think). It's much better than it used to be. They're still primarily a PC focussed podcast though.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:41 AM, ratamero said:

The newest Exquisite Corps might have been the first time Bad Play has made me actually angry in years of Giant Bomb.

In that case, you might want to skip today's episode of Exquisite Corps.  That episode is an exercise in frustration.

I just watched it. It was a different kind of frustration, though: Dan is vaguely competent at the game, but his "I am the only important soldier" bit was more important to him than anything else. urgh.

Also, apparently 

Spoiler

failing that mission locks you out of a portion of the DLC?

I don't know whether that's the case because I haven't played Enemy Within, but if so that's a huge bummer.

Just renewed my yearly subscription (Though this may be a last) and just wanted to drop a coupon code to the Giant Bomb store if anyone was interested.

Also, yeah, just finished that Xcom episode over there and Dan's "shtick" really screwed that mission over; still not a fan and that is a perfect episode to illustrate why.

Giant Bomb Store Code for $15 off: 478a5gaae01c-5bt9acf5

Tried the Polygon show and I did not like it at all. I like all of the people's individual work on Polygon, but not them collectively just talking about Zero Calorie Coke for 10 minutes, or obsessing over whether McCree has a belly button or not. The latter was eye-opening as I imagine it is how a lot of women feel when they listen to all-male podcaster groups talk sexually about video game characters - a little bored and a little uncomfortable. 

I'll try and listen to some more before I give up on it but if there is too much Zero Calorie Coke talk I am going to end up zoning out.

Its way more fun if they take chances and die a lot. If every run was a overwatch fest the show would be like watching grass grow

4 hours ago, twmac said:

Tried the Polygon show and I did not like it at all. I like all of the people's individual work on Polygon, but not them collectively just talking about Zero Calorie Coke for 10 minutes, or obsessing over whether McCree has a belly button or not. The latter was eye-opening as I imagine it is how a lot of women feel when they listen to all-male podcaster groups talk sexually about video game characters - a little bored and a little uncomfortable. 

I'll try and listen to some more before I give up on it but if there is too much Zero Calorie Coke talk I am going to end up zoning out.

What was the McCree verdict?

I agree, people dying inexplicably is more interesting than flawless play. They're idiots playing on ironman, it's gonna happen. I don't know why the stabilized soldier died either!

The fact that watching GB videos is always the 2nd or 3rd activity I'm paying attention to has dampened the blow of selfishness, apparently. I read the posts before I watched the episode and from that perspective it was way overblown. The Dan Selfishness angle isn't what fucked up the mission, it was the being bad at XCOM part completely divorced from that.

17 hours ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

What was the McCree verdict?

Hhahah, I think that in his summer garb they decided he definitely didn't have a belly button.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:53 AM, Badfinger said:

I agree, people dying inexplicably is more interesting than flawless play. They're idiots playing on ironman, it's gonna happen. I don't know why the stabilized soldier died either!

The fact that watching GB videos is always the 2nd or 3rd activity I'm paying attention to has dampened the blow of selfishness, apparently. I read the posts before I watched the episode and from that perspective it was way overblown. The Dan Selfishness angle isn't what fucked up the mission, it was the being bad at XCOM part completely divorced from that.

It's also a pretty tough mission that comes early on. I've often lost at least one guy when they start dropping enemy units in on your sniper like that. Just wait till they get to that all chryssalid mission, its gonna be a bloodbath lol

I go between frustration and entertained with their x-com series - I thought Dan was going to be their ringer, but wow - not great hah. 

Also, I really enjoy Abby and Ben's new podcast - improv heavy and goofy. 

Yeah it's been a fun podcast...some things fall flat but that's how it is with improv heavy stuff sometimes. I wish they had told that Patrick guy to stay close to his mic though. The way he kept fading in and out was driving me crazy.

The bomb and beast casts were the last 'standard' video game podcast I listened to and I tried a couple like Polygons, Waypoint and  US gamers since I dropped them earlier this year but I think that is a format of covering Video game that I have lost  interest in.

This is likely tied in with me losing interest in video games that aren't strategy, RPG games or ones cane and rinse/ retronauts do an episode on. Those two, along with 3 moves ahead, axe of the mad blood god  are the only Video game focused podcasts I still listen to. Is there other video games podcasts that focus on a particular theme or genre or focus on a particular game per episode that are worth checking out?

Abby and Bens new podcast is entertaining.

The custom intros to Exquisite Corps is worth every mario party and stolen sunshine. It is worth owning premium just for that.

I regret to inform Dan Ryckert is at it again. I closed the newest Exquisite Corps 7:30 in before I felt angry about it. I feel like Dan is just dragging this feature down with no other payoff other than "I get to play an asshole".