Janina was fuckin great. It was sad to hear her feel the need to do "no for real I'm a woman and I like games" thing, just because it's unfortunate that's still a fight we need to have every 6 weeks.

"i fucking hate pickles"
"i've taken maybe two bites of pickles my whole life"

thinking face

they did talk him into trying a pickle, at least!!

They also got Dan to admit that his progress through College was bullshit and bad in the last podcast.

Now that Giant Bomb East's Yakuza 0 endurance run is over, I'm super excited to see what their next project is (assuming the Super Mario Sunshine run is not the replacement). At some point, I would like to see them get back to Kerbal Space Program. Abby, based on her Twitter avatar, is clearly into space exploration, and Dan would be just helpful in general when it comes to space and astrodynamics. On the other hand, they may want to wait until the KSP expansion pack gets released.

It is ridiculous how much more enthusiasm the Giant Bomb East grew seems to have compared with the West. They look like they actually enjoy each other's company and are having a lot of fun, whereas I can imagine that a year from now the Unprofessional Fridays are just the guys playing the same old fighting games and not speaking at all except to compare their energy drink preferences. 

(I admit that the Star Trek VR thing was pretty fun, though.)

Is Beast in the East worth going through? At some points I read some people getting frustrated with it for various reasons (mostly Dan's playstyle), but then people always complain about that stuff so I dunno how much credence to give it.

Agreed the energy and enthusiasm on the east coast is really great. I haven't watched a Unprofessional Friday since Ben joined but the ones I saw before that were snoozefests.

I liked Beast in the East. I was interested to see what Yakuza games were like, but knew that I would probably never actually sit down and play one of them, so I found this a good substitute. Giant Bomb crew banter was a nice added bonus. Dan's playstyle did not bother me at all, but then again I don't give a shit if someone is not exploring "the full potential of the combat mechanics" or whatever. He died like once during the entire game, so it is not like you have to watch them try and fail again and again. That playthrough is really long, so if you have no interest in the story, then it may not be for you, but otherwise go ahead.

Oh god, Dan's little rant about Ass Creed is perfect. Vinny making a half-hearted defence of it... I was so pleased to hear someone on a podcast finally say it. I thought I was alone.

16 hours ago, Nappi said:

I liked Beast in the East. I was interested to see what Yakuza games were like, but knew that I would probably never actually sit down and play one of them, so I found this a good substitute. Giant Bomb crew banter was a nice added bonus. Dan's playstyle did not bother me at all, but then again I don't give a shit if someone is not exploring "the full potential of the combat mechanics" or whatever. He died like once during the entire game, so it is not like you have to watch them try and fail again and again. That playthrough is really long, so if you have no interest in the story, then it may not be for you, but otherwise go ahead.

Yeah it was mainly that there were mechanics he never understood or used. Typical internet stuff. I'll have to make it my lazy weekend morning programming from here on out.

5 hours ago, twmac said:

Oh god, Dan's little rant about Ass Creed is perfect. Vinny making a half-hearted defence of it... I was so pleased to hear someone on a podcast finally say it. I thought I was alone.

I love Vinny but his love of Lore is often his undoing. I'm surprised he hasn't read the Assassin's Creed novels...

On 7/20/2017 at 4:43 AM, twmac said:

Dan's throwing stones from glass houses.

He holds up the least coherent video game story of all time on a pedestal as the pinnacle of game writing and then goes after Assassin's Creed, which is at least explainable.

Hhaah, yeah, I got to that point and Jeff just going 'that kind of undoes everything you just said'. Soo good.

Wether I agree or disagree with Dan's overall opinions, he has no articulation beyond "good" or "bad" and any opinion he expresses is so dull to listen to.

38 minutes ago, Spenny said:

Wether I agree or disagree with Dan's overall opinions, he has no articulation beyond "good" or "bad" and any opinion he expresses is so dull to listen to.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

beastcast has been far far worse since he joined

i thought maybe it was okay once upon a time but ughhhhhhhhhh

*eating a sandwich with pickles on*

Dan is wrong of course, but not liking pickles because of a summer of gross hot mcdonalds pickle car is probably the most sympathetic and understanding I've ever felt to one of his moronities.

Hahaha I mean yeah I get it. I'm with you. I'd fucking hate pickles too if that were the case. I basically hate ketchup for similar reasons. The smell actually grosses me out. When I was a kid other kids would eat fries with their ketchup instead of the other way around and the smell these days literally gives me a physical reaction, often of gagging, usually of holding my nose or some such. So I'm the one throwing rocks in glass houses here. It's just an easy thing to poke fun at Dan for this.

There are so many other things that are very similar to this instance, though, that, you know, it ends up that: I still don't like him on Beastcast. :P

I continue to have a love/hate relationship with Dan.  About half the time I find the dumb shit he says amusing (mostly because he continues to not be aware of even the simplest things like having a remote idea what an electrical breaker is or understanding that weight is a concern when going to space) but the other half of the time I'm infuriated at his "I don't know what this thing is so it must not be important and is therefore dumb" attitude.

I don't listen to the Giant Bomb podcasts, so I'm probably spared most of the infuriating stuff. With the video content, I am mostly amused by his remarks and revelations, and especially the reaction they get from the rest of the crew. I love the fact that he doesn't have any reservations about asking about stuff that he doesn't know, especially since it occasionally reveals something about the others as well. For example, during one of the Fast and Furious commentaries after Alex had used "4-dimensional chess" for the fifth time to describe a plot where a character was basically occasionally one step ahead of the others, Dan asked him what 4-dimensional chess means and Alex went like "ummm..".

Dan's curiosity often comes across as a shtick to me. He feigns a desire to learn by asking a lot of questions on shows, but if he was actually interested he could just look any of this stuff up in his free time. He doesn't seem to want to learn as much as he wants to play his character, and it can often get a bit grating. I still like the Beastcast but I often find myself skipping around segments since it's so long.

19 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

I continue to have a love/hate relationship with Dan.  About half the time I find the dumb shit he says amusing (mostly because he continues to not be aware of even the simplest things like having a remote idea what an electrical breaker is or understanding that weight is a concern when going to space) but the other half of the time I'm infuriated at his "I don't know what this thing is so it must not be important and is therefore dumb" attitude.

Same. Dan has gotten a lot more open minded since he joined GB, which is great, and like for example recently he actually acknowledged how fucked up his time in college was whereas the last time it came up when I'm pretty sure he said something like "I don't see why anyone works hard in college and how I got through is good and cool", but sometimes the "I thought the screwdriver bit was the one you used to drill holes in the wall" or "what is a mortgage" type of stories/questions are just too much for me.

What I'm saying is fire Dan, hire Jeremiah.

On an unrelated note, did anyone else watch the latest Mario Sunshine video? Their struggles on the first FLUDD-less level were...impressive.

Every time I think I'm getting used to Dan he once again asserts himself as the smirking shitty face of privilege. Literally every story he has is about how he never worked hard for anything and things just fell into his lap. I bet his whole life hasn't actually been this way but the gleeful way he brags about his lack of hardship is fucking obnoxious and awful, even if it's not as bad as it once was. Sure, he now admits he understands why people get mad about his college story it doesn't stop him from breathlessly describing every way people went out of their way to make sure he'd never have to endure any effort, down to a total lack of student loans. He loves getting a rise out of people too much to care why the stories upset them in the first place.

The fact that he won't eat vegetables seems very secondary to this for me.

35 minutes ago, Patrick R said:

Every time I think I'm getting used to Dan he once again asserts himself as the smirking shitty face of privilege. Literally every story he has is about how he never worked hard for anything and things just fell into his lap. I bet his whole life hasn't actually been this way but the gleeful way he brags about his lack of hardship is fucking obnoxious and awful, even if it's not as bad as it once was. Sure, he now admits he understands why people get mad about his college story it doesn't stop him from breathlessly describing every way people went out of their way to make sure he'd never have to endure any effort, down to a total lack of student loans. He loves getting a rise out of people too much to care why the stories upset them in the first place.

The fact that he won't eat vegetables seems very secondary to this for me.

Completely agreed.

Him not eating pickles is just an easy target for me that doesn't require writing out everything you just said over and over, which is what I really want to do. :P

I'm fine with Dan. It's nice to see someone who has almost no filter and is comfortable saying incredibly stupid and naive things on a regular basis while still somehow not being a miserable piece of shit.

I can totally understand why so many people are put off by him but I feel like there are plenty of podcasters out there who are super careful with every word that comes out of their mouth, sometimes to a fault. Dan is like the polar opposite of that and it's kind of refreshing sometimes.

I've o nly ever heard about Dan (or any other Giant Bomb stuff) second hand from stuff like this thread and he seems like kind of a strange guy. He just doesn't like any vegetables?

9 minutes ago, Zeusthecat said:

I'm fine with Dan. It's nice to see someone who has almost no filter and is comfortable saying incredibly stupid and naive things on a regular basis while still somehow not being a miserable piece of shit.

I can totally understand why so many people are put off by him but I feel like there are plenty of podcasters out there who are super careful with every word that comes out of their mouth, sometimes to a fault. Dan is like the polar opposite of that and it's kind of refreshing sometimes.

I get that, but (for instance) the dude also published a book that basically said, "I ignored doctors and refused to take medication for anxiety so crippling that I almost couldn't work, then I taught myself meditation and I'm fine now," as an autobiography-cum-self-help-book. It skeeves me out to think of Giant Bomb's younger fans paying money to hear that strain of Dan's ignorance and trying to imitate it, to their likely detriment, because it's held up as aspirational. There are people who don't really see that Dan is naive and stupid, they think he's just honest and bullshit-free. I run across them constantly.