3 hours ago, Gamebeast23456 said:

Looking at the Bombcast's comments really bummed me out. They seemed so negative on just about everything. I thought the episode was a little awkward, but also I think Chris and Jake bailed them out. I can't imagine them getting as much out of this news week without Thumbs around. 

imo the best way to enjoy Giant Bomb is to ignore 80% of their active community and just skip the comment section/chat/subreddit/forums for the most part.

23 hours ago, RubixsQube said:

I don't know if I understand this, can you describe this feeling a little bit more? Like, not as a way of me trying to prove a point, but mostly because I want to understand the origin of this reaction, as a lot of people feel similarly. 

To a large extent it's a matter of a self-selecting audience: the people who will have the strongest opinions about an upcoming adaptation will be the people who liked the original the most, and having liked the original so much, the prospect of change brings the risk of diminishing what they enjoyed. Of course, that isn't guaranteed to be the case (different media have different requirements, after all), but it's the fear.

Also, if you're particularly steeped in the original, you might find deviations distracting – even if the change isn't actually for the worse, you might find yourself pedantically thinking "Hey, that isn't how it went", taking you out of the flow of things.

I do agree with you that seeing something new is a good thing, but I also am guilty of "I preferred the original" -itis. Perhaps it's an easy example, since the film wasn't regarded as a success by any measure, but I was disappointed by the loss of the clear symmetrical structure in Cloud Atlas' transition from book to movie. It's quite possible that that simply didn't work on screen; perhaps with it being a visual medium it made sense to drive home the parallels by cutting back and forth continuously; but as someone who specifically enjoyed the boldness of that device, I really missed it in the adaptation. But perhaps the problem isn't that it was changed, but rather that it wasn't improved.

15 hours ago, James said:

Also, if you're particularly steeped in the original, you might find deviations distracting – even if the change isn't actually for the worse, you might find yourself pedantically thinking "Hey, that isn't how it went", taking you out of the flow of things.

TOM BOMBADIL!!! :angry::angry:

Today's PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS stream was fantastic, highly recommended if you missed it. You could easily make a whole Best of Giant Bomb out of it.

2 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

GBeast hired a lady.  She was also on the last Beastcast.

Yeah but there was also mention of her being relagated to production duties...not sure if that was just kidding around or not, but I hope she gets more time on the other side of the mic.

Judging by the latest GBE Megadate, Abby seems to be a great fit for Giant Bomb East, so I hope she will get to be in more stuff.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:57 PM, juv3nal said:

Yeah but there was also mention of her being relagated to production duties...not sure if that was just kidding around or not, but I hope she gets more time on the other side of the mic.

I have to imagine that's a joke. She has been on camera/on mic for everything they've put out this week so far. How much screen time she gets is probably up for debate though. I imagine she's the Jason to Vinny's Drew, or possibly the Drew to Vinny's Vinny if you want to go back to small times. (e: heard the comment from Vinny about "putting her in the production booth" on the podcast. It's possible they don't want to do a 5 person podcast so there might be some truth to the joking)

Kingtern Ben definitely has the right cadence of humor for the bombcast. Will he keep landing jokes? We'll see.

Yeah, they have a small enough crew that I'd be surprised if Abby does only production stuff. Though she might handle more of it early on, just to give Vinny a well-earned break from being the sole production guy.

Ben is fitting in well so far, although from a purely selfish standpoint I'm hoping the DOTA/fighting game talk is kept to a minimum. :P

17 hours ago, rohlfinator said:

Ben is fitting in well so far, although from a purely selfish standpoint I'm hoping the DOTA/fighting game talk is kept to a minimum. :P

Yeah, I hope that even though Jeff, Jason, and Ben all seem to love fighting games, they don't play them during every Unprofessional Friday. I rarely find watching other people play fighting games fun unless they play at a very high level or the game is totally crazy.

On 2017-5-15 at 3:26 PM, Badfinger said:

I have to imagine that's a joke. She has been on camera/on mic for everything they've put out this week so far. How much screen time she gets is probably up for debate though. I imagine she's the Jason to Vinny's Drew, or possibly the Drew to Vinny's Vinny if you want to go back to small times. (e: heard the comment from Vinny about "putting her in the production booth" on the podcast. It's possible they don't want to do a 5 person podcast so there might be some truth to the joking)

The obvious solution would have been the rotating production duties approach taken by the Bombcast while Drew was still there, if Vinny weren't the host of the whole dang show. I hope she's in a bunch of stuff, regardless. Both she and Ben seem like great fits.

I can't look at Ben without wondering why GB hired Andrew Ryan. That is all.

Wow, you guys like Ben?

He seems nice enough and is getting more interesting, but I don't really care for him.

I haven't enjoyed him much in the content I've seen (UPF, Sega Saturn Stream, and Demo Derby) but I'm willing to give the guy a few weeks. I can imagine it would be hard to come into that room and banter. Jeff and Brad both seem pretty intimidating.

On the other hand, Abby's personality and GBEast's welcoming attitude both made this week's east coast content dynamite right off the bat.

I feel like I didn't hear enough from Abby to get a feel for her, but she seemed ok (I've only listened to the Beastcast so if she's in other stuff I haven't seen it yet).  At the very least having a female voice alone is already a nice change.

I'm actually leaning the opposite way of Dewar right now. I didn't like Ben much as an intern, but find that he's pretty quick-witted and keeping up well with the West's shenanigans, adding his own twist pretty well. I still prefer the vibe of GBEast, but I feel like Ben is fitting in where he is.

By contrast, I am ecstatic that GBEast hired a woman but feel like the one podcast and stream I've seen Abby on so far have not shown me enough to actually have an opinion of her. She has seemed very reserved (even intimidated?) by the Vinny/Alex/Dan trio and was a lot more quiet than I was hoping for in the stream in particular. I'm sure she's rad, but until she gets more comfortable and finds her voice there, I'll reserve any judgement.

So it turns out that when they said "Next week Abby will be in the booth" they were being totally literal. She's now participating in the podcast from the production room like they're a real radio studio or something!

On 5/17/2017 at 7:00 AM, twmac said:

Wow, you guys like Ben?

He seems nice enough and is getting more interesting, but I don't really care for him.

He has the right sense of humor for the podcast and live shows.

Abby has a much more defined presence on this week's Beastcast and is awesome for it. Progress!

On 5/20/2017 at 1:19 AM, miffy495 said:

Abby has a much more defined presence on this week's Beastcast and is awesome for it. Progress!

She's pretty rad in today's Beastcast!

the fan art for the new bombers is very cute and good: 

DCdWhA7UAAA0U5O.jpg

DCdVvLQXkAERLw8.jpg

I saw that, and I think that might have been proof of a higher force controlling everything.

As for Ben, he has grown on me a bit more in the last few podcasts.

The E3 podcast with Austin Walker and the MBMBAM guys made me laugh a lot, Jeff Gerstmann did a great job of letting people talk. The woman in the new Star Wars Battlefront was in parts insightful, funny and veering into drunken idiocy (I liked it).

4 hours ago, twmac said:

I saw that, and I think that might have been proof of a higher force controlling everything.

As for Ben, he has grown on me a bit more in the last few podcasts.

The E3 podcast with Austin Walker and the MBMBAM guys made me laugh a lot, Jeff Gerstmann did a great job of letting people talk. The woman in the new Star Wars Battlefront was in parts insightful, funny and veering into drunken idiocy (I liked it).

I thought Jeff killed it during the E3 night shows, I could not imagine taking 3-5 totally different people and interviewing them all at once and keeping it flowing and being entertaining. 

Janina was great! Seeing someone so human kind of be the face for the game makes more interested in it, hah.