Do they ever figure out the parry mechanic in MGR? I'm on episode 2 now and it is driving me nuts. I'm not one to go "you're playing it wrong!" but it just feels like such a bummer because it's what makes the combat in that game so satisfying and fluid. I just feel frustrated on their behalf for missing out on a lot of great moments. 

Also I imagine that certain boss fights will become incredibly tough without parrying, like is Monsoon and Armstrong even possible to beat without parry? IIRC they have phase triggers tied to it.

4 hours ago, Fingus said:

Do they ever figure out the parry mechanic in MGR? I'm on episode 2 now and it is driving me nuts. I'm not one to go "you're playing it wrong!" but it just feels like such a bummer because it's what makes the combat in that game so satisfying and fluid. I just feel frustrated on their behalf for missing out on a lot of great moments. 

Also I imagine that certain boss fights will become incredibly tough without parrying, like is Monsoon and Armstrong even possible to beat without parry? IIRC they have phase triggers tied to it.

I'm through part 4 and the answer seems to be "No".  They manage to get through Monsoon because they turned on the auto-parry thing and it seemed like when it got to those spots the game just does it for them.

I'm kinda torn on finishing this because it's honestly so frustrating to watch, even though I really want to see Drew's reaction to Armstrong.

That's why I'm pushing through as well. Their reactions to the crazy bullshit and their banter is really why I'm here, and so far it hasn't disappointed. (Also, jesus fucking christ Paul Ryckert) 

Considering that they ostensibly recorded this during the GOTY podcasts I'm slightly surprised nobody made any references or comparisons to DOOM. Or maybe I'm the only one who feels the parallels are obvious. The use of music, health restoring Glory Kills / Zandatsu, the hyperbolic action, and most of all what Alex succinctly described as the dumb-fucking-grin-the-entire-time effect of the gameplay. 

I also never got along with the parries in MGR, I had to play it on Easy with auto-parries to beat the final boss.

I liked it, but I was glad that it was over as I kind of hated the last boss.

They've had auto-parry on the whole time. In Episode 5 Drew reveals that he's never even trying to block, and when the game goes into a block stance it's automatic and he's just hitting the attack button.

I don't mind it personally, I'm getting what I came for. The parts when Drew would have to repeatedly try an area in the other Metal Gear games were the least fun bits for me. I like when he's cheery (and dreamy.) :)

I'm trying to give Dan on Beastcast a chance, but it's realllllllllllllllly not working for me. ):

I think he worked much better with those Bombcast cast than he does with Beast guys. They're are already clowny enough on their own and don't need Dan bringing them down.

I'm so sad. I liked Beastcast a lot even after Austin left and now I just don't look forward to it anymore. Prolly have to drop it soon. ):

I continue to maintain that Vinny is the perfect foil for Dan, and perhaps games media's only deployable countermeasure to The Ryckert.

I love me some Shoemaker but I don't think he's cut out to be a host in the traditional sense, and that has an effect on the Bombcast as well.

I like the members of the Bombcast individually but as a group I find them lacking.  Jeff only seems energetic when he's arguing how terrible something is, Brad is lackadaisical even when he's passionate, Drew rarely gets that into it and seems fairly stoic, and Jason I just don't know that much about.  Dan was the one that bounced off of them a lot and made things interesting, if in no other way than to get a rise out of them.  I half agree with Twig in that the Beastcast was already pretty jovial without Dan.  I think he fits in there fine but it cut a big piece out of the Bombcast where it was needed way more.

Basically my enjoyment of the Beastcast has gone up, but it doesn't equal how much my enjoyment of the Bombcast has dropped.

Dan's absolute refusal to play along with any bit that doesn't involve him as the center of attention is absolute death in the context of the Beastcast. But as a source of video series ideas, he's been a boon to the East Coast guys.

Bombcast, on the other hand, has greatly improved for me, though anytime Jeff isn't on it (like the last one) it sinks it. But Drew needs to talk more because he's great.

21 minutes ago, Patrick R said:

Dan's absolute refusal to play along with any bit that doesn't involve him as the center of attention is absolute death in the context of the Beastcast. 

Yes, this. This is what makes Beastcast so lackluster to me now. It's a friction the 'cast didn't need to be interesting. Arguably, there was room for fiction on the 'cast pre-Dan, but it's definitely not in the humor quadrant. I guess I just have to accept that once again Giant Bomb as a whole has become Not For Me, just like it was pre-Beastcast. C'est la vie. ):

I'm curious how the Bombcast will go once they hire a new person. As weird as Matt Rorie is, his completely spur of the moment thought approach to conversation sends the podcast down some weird tracks and livens them up.

I dont mind Dan, Beastcast is still probably the gaming podcast I most look forward to listening to. I have tried waypoint as i like everyone involved in it, but ( and i know this is a totally anal thing ) but I feel like the last one I listened to everyone had taken up Austin's " huh " ( his replacement for interesting ) and all that my worm brain was hearing was huh, huh, huh,... every few minutes from all the hosts. I'll dip back in to the latest one and see where its at.

On 27/01/2017 at 6:08 PM, Badfinger said:

As weird as Matt Rorie is, his completely spur of the moment thought approach to conversation sends the podcast down some weird tracks and livens them up.

Rorie's pretty great.

His – as you aptly term it – spur of the moment conversational style does lead to a lot of awkward dead ends, but he just kind of powers on through in a way I usually find hilarious and endearing. Perhaps because I have a slight tendency to ramble my way into killing conversations. I admire his ability to overcome this debilitating condition.

I also love how frequently he returns from being distracted just in time to repeat the exact thing everyone else just got finished talking about.

Rorie is a treasure. It's true, his ability to ignore or power through awkwardness and just keep going and being genuine is something I really wish I had.

I've come to despise the Giant Bomb E3 and trade show podcasts. There is something incredibly off-putting about hearing a bunch of game developers being interviewed at the end of the day when they are all half drunk and slurring their words. And especially when they interview super annoying people like David Jaffe and Palmer Luckey (and to a lesser extent, Leigh Alexander, but I'll give her a little bit of the benefit of the doubt since she was obviously incredibly drunk in both of her appearances).

I think hearing intoxicated people talk on a podcast can totally be an entertaining thing but it's pretty damn cringeworthy on these trade show episodes.

I don't like them either, and I would even say they've gotten progressively worse. However, I actually enjoyed Leigh Alexander's drunken ramblings about sexy SS uniforms. Never quite got why her appearance became such a big deal.

1 hour ago, eot said:

I don't like them either, and I would even say they've gotten progressively worse. However, I actually enjoyed Leigh Alexander's drunken ramblings about sexy SS uniforms. Never quite got why her appearance became such a big deal.

I'll give you a hint: it's because she's a woman.

7 minutes ago, jennegatron said:

I'll give you a hint: it's because she's a woman.

Eh, it was pretty bad though. But she was really wasted and did come back on a later episode and apologize so she at least seems like a decent person with some level of self awareness who just acted kind of dumb. David Jaffe on the other hand... there are very few people in the world that have managed to irritate me as much as that guy.

29 minutes ago, Zeusthecat said:

Eh, it was pretty bad though. But she was really wasted and did come back on a later episode and apologize so she at least seems like a decent person with some level of self awareness who just acted kind of dumb. David Jaffe on the other hand... there are very few people in the world that have managed to irritate me as much as that guy.

Honestly, if you don't think that it became the deal it was because she's a woman & a woman of color at that, you're being willfully obtuse.

Greg Miller goes on and takes off his shirt and acts like a doofus and no one bats an eye, but a woman has the audacity to be drunk, like every other guest they have, and not be a door mat that everyone talks over and it becomes a whole fucking deal for like a decade.

eot asked why she specifically was singled out and is remembered and it's 100% because of who she is rather than what she actually did.

11 minutes ago, jennegatron said:

Honestly, if you don't think that it became the deal it was because she's a woman & a woman of color at that, you're being willfully obtuse.

Greg Miller goes on and takes off his shirt and acts like a doofus and no one bats an eye, but a woman has the audacity to be drunk, like every other guest they have, and not be a door mat that everyone talks over and it becomes a whole fucking deal for like a decade.

eot asked why she specifically was singled out and is remembered and it's 100% because of who she is rather than what she actually did.

I'm just talking about my personal reaction to the episode she appeared in. I'm not at all plugged in to how the community at large reacted to any of this versus how they reacted to dumb shit other people did and I even made it clear that I was giving her the benefit of the doubt. 

Thanks for the unnecessarily hostile response though. That was real cool!

15 minutes ago, Zeusthecat said:

I'm just talking about my personal reaction to the episode she appeared in. I'm not at all plugged in to how the community at large reacted to any of this versus how they reacted to dumb shit other people did and I even made it clear that I was giving her the benefit of the doubt. 

I was answering eot's question. He was asking about the internet's overall response to her.

Counter point: Giant Bomb's E3 podcasts are great. I especially enjoyed the ones that featured creators of games like Firewatch and Gone Home.

It has not-so-good moments, but there's stuff that happens in these things that would never see the light of day otherwise. Last year's segment with Griffin McElroy, Mary Kish, Chris Plante and Danny O'Dwyer constantly dunking on Patrick was wonderful.