I feel like this one wasn't as outright hilarious as fiasco primarily due to the presence of two actually competent characters in FLITZ and Serenity, but it was still a good time.

I just finished all five days and overall I loved it. The passion about Lucky Palmer struck me as an important point to make especially among the GB fanbase that do have a lot of lulz types that probably think it is great that Palmer spent loads of money on that stupidity.

The top ten was pretty painful but I appreciated how much our tastes differ. I hated TF2, I've not played Overwatch, and I thought Hyper Light Drifter was a complete missfire. That didn't stop me smiling as Dan tried to defend Star Dew Valley, despairing when people changed their votes for Overcooked as they realised it was getting too many votes and one of their other favourites might not make the top ten, and the horror that they were talking about removing Inside.

Good fucking times and a great way to start the year.

Haven't listened to the Holiday Special beastcast yet, looking forward to it!

There was only one point in the GOTY awards that felt awkward, Jeff got super salty about Inside in the last GOTY podcast at one point and it was awkward for like, 10 seconds. 

8 hours ago, twmac said:

I just finished all five days and overall I loved it. The passion about Lucky Palmer struck me as an important point to make especially among the GB fanbase that do have a lot of lulz types that probably think it is great that Palmer spent loads of money on that stupidity.

The top ten was pretty painful but I appreciated how much our tastes differ. I hated TF2, I've not played Overwatch, and I thought Hyper Light Drifter was a complete missfire. That didn't stop me smiling as Dan tried to defend Star Dew Valley, despairing when people changed their votes for Overcooked as they realised it was getting too many votes and one of their other favourites might not make the top ten, and the horror that they were talking about removing Inside.

Good fucking times and a great way to start the year.

I thought HLD was a good to very good game that asked you to be pixel perfect but didn't hold up its end of the bargain. It was so close to being incredible but just didn't get there.

The Palmer Luckey thing rang true to me. I know people have been on GB for not always being as progressive as they'd like to present, but having followed the site since 2010 they have made a lot of strides forward towards inclusivity and also for saying so out loud. Not all the time, but when things happen that need to be commented on they do so. I'm sure there are plenty of literal kids in the audience for them, but they don't seem interested in trucking with that kind of behavior.

Now hire a lady.

I also thought it was a crazy travesty that Doom didn't win GOTY, for them specifically. If it literally just had a single player it would have glory killed its way past any argumentation, but because id included multiplayer which was Just OK (not terrible) and snap map which is legitimately ambitious but doesn't quite hit the mark, there's somehow animosity even though they unanimously agree the campaign is the best FPS in literal decades. It ended up as #1 on either 3 or 4 of their personal lists. It's a very weird thing.

Maybe it's because he feels Giant Bomb represents him more personally than some of the other guys, but I find Jeff has the hardest time just saying "Well that game wasn't for me, but if everyone else likes it I'll step aside." He'll eventually do that, but he usually mounts a handful of arguments about how something is an Objectively Bad Game first.

31 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

Now hire a lady.

Cara Ellison for GBEast 2017.

31 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

but because id included multiplayer which was Just OK (not terrible) and snap map which is legitimately ambitious but doesn't quite hit the mark

Throughout Jeff's points about why DOOM shouldn't be #1, I couldn't help but remember that they gave the really broken Skyrim #1 back in 2011.

9 minutes ago, SgtWhistlebotom said:

Throughout Jeff's points about why DOOM shouldn't be #1, I couldn't help but remember that they gave the really broken Skyrim #1 back in 2011.

He was also against that choice so that in some ways probably bolsters his argument. I don't agree, but I could see how you get there.

1 hour ago, Patrick R said:

Maybe it's because he feels Giant Bomb represents him more personally than some of the other guys, but I find Jeff has the hardest time just saying "Well that game wasn't for me, but if everyone else likes it I'll step aside." He'll eventually do that, but he usually mounts a handful of arguments about how something is an Objectively Bad Game first.

Frankly, I really enjoy those bits, but that might just be because Jeff's opinions on games tend to match up with my own quite often. I enjoy his critical views on things almost as much as the things that he's excited about.

10 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Frankly, I really enjoy those bits, but that might just be because Jeff's opinions on games tend to match up with my own quite often. I enjoy his critical views on things almost as much as the things that he's excited about.

I think I'd enjoy it more if there were more people with the same approach, but since no one else really does it as much (except Dan, who seemingly hated the entire premise of the Best Computer category, but still fought hard against Quadrilateral Cowboy at every turn) it comes across as him trying to muscle more of his taste onto the lists. And since he is everyone else's boss, that has a weird vibe to it to me.

I don't really have a dog in the race (I played none of the games from 2016), but I like where they landed of letting the personal favorites of Stardew, Hyperlight and Thumper on the list, even if no one made an argument for them the way Austin was able to for Invisible Inc.

In november I predicted 1. Doom, 2. Hitman, 4. Overwatch and 5. Titanfall 2 with the Witness on the list somewhere (with some hot mover jumping to 3 on the list), so this was weirdly something of a foregone conclusion to me. Obviously I didn't actually get those bang on correct, but if you hadn't listened to their deliberations and had just asked it has the air of believability. The way they selected the list made it seem like somewhat of a foregone conclusion to them as well.

This year's deliberations weren't brutal enough for my tastes. I liked it more when they started with a huge list of games and cut them one by one, instead of doing it the other way around this time. Maybe they're too old for the endless arguing now. Brad gave up easier on Doom than he's done with other games in the past.

5 hours ago, Badfinger said:

I also thought it was a crazy travesty that Doom didn't win GOTY, for them specifically. If it literally just had a single player it would have glory killed its way past any argumentation, but because id included multiplayer which was Just OK (not terrible) and snap map which is legitimately ambitious but doesn't quite hit the mark, there's somehow animosity even though they unanimously agree the campaign is the best FPS in literal decades. It ended up as #1 on either 3 or 4 of their personal lists. It's a very weird thing.

I think Jeff was personally really disappointed by the MP and wasn't going to let that slide, and the others could probably have gone either way, except Brad.

I also find Jeff's vindictiveness about the Doom multiplayer a little hard to relate to. Intellectually I can understand that adding things can reduce value (think of games with pointless filler, or some hypothetical game with excellent design but also a lot of racist content), but with something like multiplayer it's so easy to compartmentalise it to the point of it essentially not existing for you. I never even select the option on the main menu. It might as well not be there.

I suppose a game of the year award is an endorsement, but reasoning that precludes flawed masterpieces from ever winning seems like a mistake.

Some of Jeff's argument alluded to how disappointing the multiplayer was in light of the original game's key role in multiplayer history. I wonder, then, if he would have had similar objections had the game not included multiplayer at all. That would be a clearly intentional decision, but it would still be failing to live up to the series' legacy.

I'm fine with Hitman winning – it's a great game, and it clearly captured the imagination of the staff. It's just the path they took to get to that point that seemed like it never quite solidified.

Pet peeve: They rely way too much on the phrases "it doesn't hang" and "it doesn't stick the landing". I know that it's hard, when talking at such length, to avoid falling back on convenient set phrases, and I'm sure I unknowingly am similarly repetitive, but when you notice it it does grate a little.

The multiplayer being so contentious I think was a good reason to stop DOOM making it to number one.

I played that multiplayer beta and never wanted to play the game again. Then the single player demo came out and I changed my mind. I am still waiting for it to drop in price, simply for how bitter a taste the MP beta left in my mouth. It is utterly irrational because I am never going to play the MP but it just lurks in the back of mind how much I hated it.

Agreed on the repeated phrases!

As for Titanfall 2 - ugh, I would have put that on biggest disappointment of the year.

Titanfall 2 was the first multiplayer game I've ever enjoyed playing pub matches in. It got me to try Overwatch, which is now the second. The campaign was super fun and I wanted more of it badly enough that I clicked on "Multiplayer" on the main menu, which I would never have thought of doing with most games. I will give it loads of credit for that.

Yeah, I thought Titanfall 2 was pretty great. I mean, the story and writing were fairly bland standard military action fare, but the mobility has always felt good, and the single player campaign gives you space to really get into it without worrying that you're letting your team down when you're repeatedly trying and failing to do a cool sequence of wall-runs instead of working on any of the objectives. The campaign is pretty obviously a loosely-connected sequence of cool set pieces, but as far as set pieces go, I found them very imaginative and entertaining. I can see how it wouldn't appeal to everyone, though. 

On 1/6/2017 at 6:34 PM, James said:

Pet peeve: They rely way too much on the phrases "it doesn't hang" and "it doesn't stick the landing". I know that it's hard, when talking at such length, to avoid falling back on convenient set phrases, and I'm sure I unknowingly am similarly repetitive, but when you notice it it does grate a little.

I was less annoyed that they were saying it, and more annoyed that they just left it at that. "It doesn't hang with WHAT?" is what I would rhetorically ask my phone.

Titanfall 2 would have probably won for me in many years. It's a great game that I keep playing. Maybe not last year, the Witcher inspired near-DOOM levels of enthusiasm in me, but definitely the year before.

On 1/6/2017 at 9:52 AM, twmac said:

That didn't stop me smiling as Dan tried to defend Star Dew Valley, despairing when people changed their votes for Overcooked as they realised it was getting too many votes and one of their other favourites might not make the top ten, and the horror that they were talking about removing Inside.

Dan defending Stardew Valley in every category he could was adorable. 

On 1/6/2017 at 6:06 PM, Badfinger said:

The Palmer Luckey thing rang true to me. I know people have been on GB for not always being as progressive as they'd like to present, but having followed the site since 2010 they have made a lot of strides forward towards inclusivity and also for saying so out loud. Not all the time, but when things happen that need to be commented on they do so. I'm sure there are plenty of literal kids in the audience for them, but they don't seem interested in trucking with that kind of behavior.

Yea, I thought that was good as well. You could hear how uncomfortable some were that they weren't just talking about which game release was the worst, but an actual a thing (a point they make repeatedly too) and agreed with what you said about GB even though I don't follow them closely I have noticed too. 

On 1/6/2017 at 6:40 PM, SgtWhistlebotom said:

if only! She is sorely missed 

15 hours ago, sucks2Bme said:

if only! She is sorely missed 

100%.  When GB posted her top 10 of 2017 list, I realized how much I missed her writing.  Hopefully she's having fun doing whatever she's doing, but damn I miss her stuff.

11 minutes ago, thefncrow said:

100%.  When GB posted her top 10 of 2017 list, I realized how much I missed her writing.  Hopefully she's having fun doing whatever she's doing, but damn I miss her stuff.

She's working at Arkane, so think of her when you hear the incidental dialogue in Dishonored 2, or perhaps the cup dialogue in Prey.

Oh man, Mary Kish just announced this is her last week at Gamespot. 

I know it on't happen, but pretty awesome candidate for GB West.

11 minutes ago, YoThatLimp said:

Oh man, Mary Kish just announced this is her last week at Gamespot. 

I know it on't happen, but pretty awesome candidate for GB West.

is the spot they're looking to fill in GB West? GB East seems sparse and I feel bad for Vinny having to pull double duty as video producer and on-screen person.

Also, is there a specific reason people are slowly leaving GameSpot or are Danny, Alexa Ray Corriea and Mary just sticking out in my mind?

5 hours ago, SgtWhistlebotom said:

is the spot they're looking to fill in GB West? GB East seems sparse and I feel bad for Vinny having to pull double duty as video producer and on-screen person.

Yeah, the spot they're going to fill is GB West.  GB East had the vacancy but Dan slid over to fill that, leaving GB West down a person.

Also, the Metal Gear Scanlon with him playing Rising has been slowly driving me mad watching it.  Dan starts off by telling Drew not to bother with the single mechanic that actually differentiates that game and just play on easy so he can just mash buttons and get through.  That's left them with a lot more room for conversation, but it also means they've almost entirely tuned the game out, to where there's points where Drew's just running around without any idea of what he has to do despite the game having chimed in 2-3 times to say "do this".

After hearing last week's Beastcast and a correction involving nuclear subs, I'm strongly considering writing in to explain to them how nuclear reactors actually work since they got quite a bit wrong.

4 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

After hearing last week's Beastcast and a correction involving nuclear subs, I'm strongly considering writing in to explain to them how nuclear reactors actually work since they got quite a bit wrong.

Considering Dan read the correction, they got everything wrong since there's no such thing as a nucular submarine.