If anyone remembers when GBeast & Pat Baer played Fiasco, Austin and Pat have returned for another Fiasco-like game (which is a sort-of sequel in that it features some of the same characters) in the most recent episode.

Also, Dan is a 65-year old man when it comes to dancing. I found it almost adorable.

On 12/30/2016 at 5:33 PM, juv3nal said:

If anyone remembers when GBeast & Pat Baer played Fiasco, Austin and Pat have returned for another Fiasco-like game (which is a sort-of sequel in that it features some of the same characters) in the most recent episode.

Thank you very much for pointing this out. I stopped listening to GBeast since Austin left and picked it back up just for this episode.

There have been occasional Austin episodes and I enjoy going back for those. This was great and makes me want to relisten to their Fiasco from last year.

Sorely missed Austin's presence on the GOTY podcasts this year. Right at the end, Brad says something along the lines of "We should have talked about the games more instead of just dealing on which spot they should be" and my immediate thought was how that's what Austin is really good at- asking people "Why?" in a way that gets them to say interesting things.

On 12/31/2016 at 7:46 AM, ratamero said:

Also, Dan is a 65-year old man when it comes to dancing. I found it almost adorable.

Everyone;

Brad has a nice voice

On 1/1/2017 at 10:23 PM, SgtWhistlebotom said:

Sorely missed Austin's presence on the GOTY podcasts this year. Right at the end, Brad says something along the lines of "We should have talked about the games more instead of just dealing on which spot they should be" and my immediate thought was how that's what Austin is really good at- asking people "Why?" in a way that gets them to say interesting things.

Agreed. The GOTY deliberations is the only time I really listen to GB - really like the format. But this time I felt like, no matter what category, they were only talking about the same handful of games and where they should be ranked. In addition to the "Why", I also missed Austin campaigning from games that weren't super big. I remember him going to bat for Invisible Inc. so hard and rightfully so. I still have the last one to listen to but I fear its just going to about where Doom, Titanfall, and Overwatch are going to be on the list. 

On 2016-12-30 at 5:33 PM, juv3nal said:

On 1/1/2017 at 3:23 PM, SgtWhistlebotom said:

Meanwhile, I missed GOTY from Waypoint this year. According to a recent Waypoint Radio episode he really didn't like the GOTY process, but I feel like Waypoint's year-end material swung super hard in the other direction to the point where I couldn't figure out why I was supposed to want to read it. None of the deep critical dives, just cute shit about what character has the best car, or super convoluted justifications to shallowly talk about a genre within the context of a yearbook. What?

41 minutes ago, Patrick R said:

Meanwhile, I missed GOTY from Waypoint this year. According to a recent Waypoint Radio episode he really didn't like the GOTY process, but I feel like Waypoint's year-end material swung super hard in the other direction to the point where I couldn't figure out why I was supposed to want to read it. None of the deep critical dives, just cute shit about what character has the best car, or super convoluted justifications to shallowly talk about a genre within the context of a yearbook. What?

I get that the yearbook thing isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea, but I thought it was fine barring the fanfics featuring characters from games I hadn't played (which I just skipped). Don't know about the rest of the staff, but Austin had a "normal" goty thing

I feel like the yearbook stuff fits with other Waypoint #content I've seen. Where it's sometimes a bit more fluff or clickbaity, but I still see it as positive because it's fun (or at least trying to be). I prefer it frankly, because I just want to hear game recommendations. Tell me a game, and why it's got a cool thing about it. Don't try to tell me the best 10 because I definitely wont care about half of them.

12 hours ago, sucks2Bme said:

I also missed Austin campaigning from games that weren't super big. I remember him going to bat for Invisible Inc. so hard and rightfully so.

This is also what I liked about Patrick Klepek when he was there.

9 hours ago, Patrick R said:

I didn't get the sense that Austin hated the GB GOTY process, just that the Waypoint team wanted to do something different. I agree that it's not really my cup of tea though.

I wasn't a huge fan of the yearbook stuff, but It also seems like Waypoint may not have had the time or production team to do anything really big this year, especially after the 72 hour live stream just a couple of months ago. Maybe next year we'll see more?

On 12/31/2016 at 9:46 AM, ratamero said:

Dan has the worst voice of anyone I've ever heard in my life who was singing earnestly.

I agree with Brad, I was excited to have some Top 10 positivity, but they ended up having a teeny-tiny list and were struggling to add games to it on the third pass. I know it gets cutthroat but I like games being recognized, which is why I like what Alex does and goes to bat for their moment in the sun before being removed.

I did think Alex's strategy of recognizing rather than fighting ended up biting him in the ass multiple times, but when I asked him on Twitter he said that wasn't the feeling in the room. He was there and I wasn't!

I wasn't a huge fan of the yearbook stuff. I had to do extra work to explicitly avoid the fanfiction, there wasn't much substance (which is frankly what I go to waypoint to get), and I didn't like that.

I'm 75% sure that he was singing bad on purpose. 

I posted this on the Rocket League thread, but I just finished the Rocket League Rubber Match this morning on the commute and it's pretty damn good.

On 1/3/2017 at 5:46 AM, SecretAsianMan said:

This is also what I liked about Patrick Klepek when he was there.

Yeah. People think of Austin's Invisible Inc. defense and Brad's DotA 2 and Destiny crusade, but Patrick had a hand in getting ZombiU, Papers Please, and Rayman Origins on those lists.

17 hours ago, Dewar said:

I'm 75% sure that he was singing bad on purpose. 

I can't follow you down that suck hole. That seems consistent with how Dan does things. With enthusiasm but no fluidity.

It turns out I like Stardew Valley in the context of someone playing it and Vinny goading them on!

1 hour ago, Badfinger said:

I can't follow you down that suck hole. That seems consistent with how Dan does things. With enthusiasm but no fluidity.

It turns out I like Stardew Valley in the context of someone playing it and Vinny goading them on!

Trolling the viewers like this without letting on it's joke is also his MO though.

I think Dan probably is that bad at singing. I think the trolling part comes from him saying "I'll sing first."

EDIT: Also that Rocket League Rubber Match absolutely made me buy a copy of Rocket League. So good!

It always impresses me on these holiday Beastcast specials that Alex, who I'd probably peg as least likely to play a tabletop RPG, goes for these rolls with such gusto. I think he really might have a future as an improv comedian if his careers as a game writer and a drummer fall through,