Yeah, as someone who followed Giant Bomb after they hired Austin, and doesn't really watch or listen to the stuff the west coast crew puts out, I'm a little bummed that whoever the new hire is will be out there instead of on the east coast. Dan's fine, but I'll probably just go back to just not paying attention to Giant Bomb again outside of the freelance stuff, assuming they keep that going.

I was taken in by the ruse. Figured he'd be going back to SF as part of the plan. Then they started a Shenmue endurance run.

He actually is going back out to SF.  He'll be out there for the rest of the year, and then he's moving in the winter.

They recorded the entire Shenmue run in advance.

Anyone here been watching the Shenmue Endurance Run? I've been enjoying it and while it reminds me of all the worst parts of Shenmue, it also reminded me of why I really liked it then and still find it appealing now.

It also seems like the pressure of playing it as a performance places them in a bad spot where they just can't take it slow and explore the spaces, which is where that game excels. For instance they bopped into the convenience store once, but didn't see that you could buy tapes and some other doodads, or that Ryo's desk has a tape player in it. I also think they haven't run into the dojo to do the sparring practice stuff.

To be fair though, the ratio of content to empty space is weighted to the latter- for instance the way in which you can knock on almost every door but most have nothing behind them- and this is definitely one of the game's weaknesses.

Anyone here been watching the Shenmue Endurance Run?

I have never played Shenmue, and I'm enjoying the Endurance Run quite a bit!

Back in the day, a buddy brought his Dreamcast to my house and he showed me Shenmue and it's one of those few times where a games visuals just blew my little kid miiiiind. That game looked so good and everything about it was just fascinating. That game had a mystique for me, because I couldn't see where its boundaries were. That said, we never got beyond the point of "Do you know where I can find some Sailors?" We did find them, but I never played much more of it after that. So it's really fun to see the whole game played by Vinny & Co.

Also, I remember thinking "Wow, those QTE's are the coolest, more games should have those!" But weren't seen again until God of War made them popular. Then the VAST majority of developers using them as instant fail states, as opposed to Shenmue, where failure to hit the button doesn't necessarily mean you failed the sequence. Just that Ryo got punched in the face. With all that in hindsight: Fuck QTE's though.

I started listening to the Beastcast because I couldn't take Dan on Bombcast anymore, then I started listening to the Bombcast again for a month because Dan was on the Beastcast but now I guess I will go back to Bombcast next year? It's like the fox, the goose and the grain up in this piece.

I've been watching the Shenmue ER as well. I was iffy on it until Episode 6, when Vinny lost it trying to remember "Fireball". God damn I was in tears laughing at that.

holy shit the whole of episode 12 of the shenmue ER searching for that goddam key

Enjoying the Shenmue Endurance run, but man that game is really bad. Dan keeps saying it was good for its time, but I'd rather play something like Myst that came out years earlier. 

Danielle on the Beastcast was awesome!!! 

Yeah, that was a pretty great episode. I haven't really dipped my toe into Idle Weekend, I think I am going to start though!

Enjoying the Shenmue Endurance run, but man that game is really bad. Dan keeps saying it was good for its time, but I'd rather play something like Myst that came out years earlier. 

Shenmue is a fantastic game that I would never recommend to anybody.

I'm curious to hear what Vinny thinks of Shenmue when talking about it in the context of Deadly Premonition, which he also did an Endurance Run for. Deadly Premonition sometimes feels like Capcom decided to make a clone of Shenmue in 2002.

Danielle on the Beastcast was awesome!!! 

Agreed! Hers and Austin's styles jive real well so could almost see a hint of the academic in the wonderful wonderful beast once more...

I'm just watching part 16 of the Shenmue Endurance Run. As the game keeps getting worse, the endurance run gets better. Holy shit, this is great stuff! 

I'm just watching part 16 of the Shenmue Endurance Run. As the game keeps getting worse, the endurance run gets better. Holy shit, this is great stuff! 

well that certainly was...something.

Yeah, that was a pretty great episode. I haven't really dipped my toe into Idle Weekend, I think I am going to start though!

Personally I find Idle Weekend to complain-y. I don't like listening to how gamer culture sucks and how gamers are terrible people every single episode.

Oh my god I was in tears. That may be some of the best content that GB has ever produced.

Oh, that's awesome. When I saw the old style podcast posted on the 23rd, I figured it would be months before we got the new one.

Vice Gaming UK also has their own podcast, which I have not listened to. That will continue on its own.