His change from straight up willful ignorance to ignorant but willing to learn has been nice. He also seems to be meshing with the Beast guys pretty well. I wish he could be on more podcasts with Austin Walker. Maybe Vice will start doing it's gaming podcast more often and we'll get some more talent sharing going on. I really want to hear Patrick and Dan in the same room for some reason.

I dunno his insistence that reptiles and amphibians like crocodiles and snakes look similar therefore are more similar than humans and reptiles drove me insane. He even managed to ignore a quiet voice that said "they're both reptiles" which would have just ended the whole argument instantly.

This beastcast was tre magnifique. Austin dropping Foucault and being in Dan's corner in a roundabout way was wonderful. My guess is Dan ignoring the "both reptiles" thing was probably less of him omitting that and more hearing himself and losing a very quiet comment in his headphones while they were talking over one another. The fiver was so good, and I certainly miss Austin.

I think the Beast is excellent for Dan. Their combo of patience and subtlety works wonderfully to make Dan stop and think not only upon reflection which he has done all along, but also in the moment.

Dan's such a sweetheart. Latest ep was beautiful.

(I still don't want him on fulltime!!)

I just finished up the Beastcast with Dan and Austin.  I'm with Twig in that I think Dan's entertaining to have around but I don't want him to become a permanent fixture.  Also every part of the "science" talk made me alternate between laughing and cringing so hard I wanted to pull my hair out.  I think the thing that made it bearable for me was Dan's willingness to admit that he's an idiot who knows nothing.

Forget the gaps in Dan's science knowledge, let's talk about the fact that he has never had potato salad or a baked potato or coleslaw WAAAT

I feel like that dude would be on an 80% baked potato diet, shocking. 

I think the thing that made it bearable for me was Dan's willingness to admit that he's an idiot who knows nothing.

Didn't he do the opposite and keep fighting what people were saying without anything to back it up?

Didn't he do the opposite and keep fighting what people were saying without anything to back it up?

Dan basically never does this. He will keep living his dumb life, but he will acknowledge it's his dumb, wrong life.

After the fact. But when people say "There's more to animal classification than what animals look like what." he just repeats "But a reptile looks like an amphibian!" He never seems curious, only combative. If he truly acknowledged he was dumb and wrong he would eventually stop starting arguments and start asking questions. I think "I know I'm wrong and I'm dumb." is just his emergency exit out of any conversation he can no longer handle.

After the fact. But when people say "There's more to animal classification than what animals look like what." he just repeats "But a reptile looks like an amphibian!" He never seems curious, only combative. If he truly acknowledged he was dumb and wrong he would eventually stop starting arguments and start asking questions. I think "I know I'm wrong and I'm dumb." is just his emergency exit out of any conversation he can no longer handle.

That's a more than fair criticism. They definitely do call him on that during that segment, that his default response sounds more aggressive than he thinks he's being.

I think Dan just likes to argue and his acknowledgement that he knows nothing is his way of justifying picking a fight he's not actually interested in having.  The fact that he sticks to his guns so much in the face of clearly contradictory and well reasoned information just because it doesn't make intuitive sense to him is the part that really bothers me but I also know that sometimes trying to argue with people like that leads to nothing but frustration.  His willingness to at least say that he has no clue what he's actually talking about puts him slightly above a Reddit troll and is kind of the thing that makes me able to stand him.

I am very legitimately going to miss Dan in NYC. Vinny and Alex bring out the best of him, and have the range to fit his lunatic dynamics.

I, on the other hand, am glad he's not a permanent fixture, as it'd probably mean I'd end up dropping the Beastcast like I did the Bombcast. They still need a replacement for Austin, though.

Yup, I liked Dan on there. He fit in well. Dan's the most interesting when people are questioning him about his weirdness. I think the Bombcast crew got tired of that, and so he seemed to just drift into the background. 

So Danny O'Dwyer has left Gamespot leaving raising the questions of A: Is he going to Giant Bomb? And B: Is Giant Bomb dumb enough to hire another straight white dude after all of the flak they got after the last time they hired a Dan?

Jeff already confirmed on twitter that there isn't even an opening at GB officially at the moment and they're not hiring Danny. (Austin also confirmed Danny is not going to Vice Gaming)

Jeff already confirmed on twitter that there isn't even an opening at GB officially at the moment

So they're just not replacing Austin?

He said there WILL be an opening, so considering the time it took to hire Austin they'll have someone new by 2020

I wonder if Alt+F1 will continue. This weekend I'm finally going to actually watch a race.

It sounds like Gamespot is a sinking ship :(

Edit: Found a post in his twitter feed that Alt+F1 isn't over, so at least I'll get to hear him there.

They just announced during their PAX panel that Dan's moving to GB East and that they're looking for someone to fill his spot at GB West.

I guess I dislike him less on the beastcast, and it sounds like he much prefers New York to san fran, so I'm glad that's working out for him. But I stand by my :/