So Dan did an AMA on the Giant Bomb subreddit yesterday. His "proof" picture included Letterman hat, a conspicuous set of Amiibos, and a set of coins. Anyway, the first letter of all the Amiibos spell out "GB NYC" and the change adds up to 8/5, so I guess Dan starts at GB East tomorrow?

I wonder if that means that SF will get a new hire, or if they're just going to be down a man.

I am of mixed opinion. To tell the truth, I never really cared for the Jason vs Dan stuff. I know it was mostly made up, but I don't need that kind of angst in my off time. I also miss Brad's more analytical view of games that is so often stomped on by Dan. At the same time, Austin put his stamp on GBeast, and it feels like any last shreds of that are being washed away with this move. Though Austin's shoes would be pretty tough to fill, so maybe going a completely different direction is the way to go *shrug*

I don't even know who Jason is. I don't listen to Bombcast, and Dan leaving won't make me start. But I loved the Beastcast even up until last week. I loved it a lot. I don't dislike Dan, but... if he continues to be Dan, I don't think I will like the Beastcast anymore. ):

I'm coming from a different angle then, because I watch almost every video and listen to almost every podcast they put out *shrug*

I don't hate Dan, but I think the only way this works out well is if the rest of the GBEast crew pivots more intellectual as a counterpoint to Dan instead of letting him drag them down to their level.

I don't hate Dan, but I think the only way this works out well is if the rest of the GBEast crew pivots more intellectual as a counterpoint to Dan instead of letting him drag them down to their level.

austin's particular talent wasn't just that he was smart and thoughtful, but that he was able to coax and interrogate the rest of the crew and create great discussions out of that (i think chris plays a similar role in the Thumbs cast). it seems that dan's preferred way of being is intentionally antagonistic or thoughtless (his thoughts on Quadrilateral Cowboy on a recent Bombcast illustrate this). it's unfortunate b/c i don't think it's as entertaining as he thinks it is (maybe he jumbles attention w/ positivity?) and also b/c i think dan can actually be insightful when he makes an effort.

i'm not sure what effect he'll have on the Beastcast but i don't countering him is the way to go. i think Jeff and Jason counter him on the Bombcast and it just winds up being antagonistic. ideally you'd have someone that invites him in a way so that he adds to conversation instead of just steamrolls it.

i think Jeff and Jason counter him on the Bombcast

I dunno, I haven't watched every quicklook or listened to every bombcast, but the impression I have of the dynamic is certainly not this.

Until I hear about it officially, I still think Dan is just screwing with people and he's not going anywhere.

I think that both podcasts would suffer if Dan transferred.  The Bombcast would lose a considerable amount of enthusiasm.  Even though Dan will often reach the point where I want to reach through the internet and slap him in the face, I appreciate the way his comments get the others going.  Brad, Jeff, Drew, and Jason are pretty sedate compared to Dan and I don't think his leaving the Bombcast would change that.

On the Beastcast side, I think they're already energetic enough.  Ironically with the departure of Austin I don't really see anyone there to play against Dan.  I think the two of them would have been great foils for each other.  Austin was a force of reason and order, Dan is a force of nonsense and chaos.

Okay he's only on NY for a month. I can handle a month!

I am of mixed opinion. To tell the truth, I never really cared for the Jason vs Dan stuff. I know it was mostly made up, but I don't need that kind of angst in my off time. I also miss Brad's more analytical view of games that is so often stomped on by Dan. At the same time, Austin put his stamp on GBeast, and it feels like any last shreds of that are being washed away with this move. Though Austin's shoes would be pretty tough to fill, so maybe going a completely different direction is the way to go *shrug*

Vinny and Alex are the perfect foils for Dan. Alex can judo his wrestling crap and won't put up with it on podcasts like Jeff indulges far too often. Vinny's incredulity is pure wonderment, and he'll dig at the weird edges of Dan's personality rather than being cynically dismissive like Brad has the penchant for doing.

Dan is like, peak Beastcast. Imagine him playing Kerbal Space Program. It'll be a cool month.

I listened to the first 20 minutes on the drive into work and it's Very Good just like I expected.

!

BADFINGER I NEVER SAID THAT HOW'D YOU MAKE IT LOOK LIKE I SAID THAT!

Listening to Dan learn about gravity on yesterday's Beastcast was magical.

Forget the gaps in Dan's science knowledge, let's talk about the fact that he has never had potato salad or a baked potato or coleslaw WAAAT