Dan is that guy you hang out with, end up being "friends" with and finding his shenanigans funny, then one day you realize you actually hate him and there's nothing funny about anything he does and that he's inadvertently a bad person.

There's still a whole lot of things he does that are actually funny and I respect his evident desire to become a better person, but he's still oblivious to how shitty he can be.

In many ways that makes him great for a website, where I can just turn off the video if I don't feel like putting up with it.

also, the way he pronounces Pokemon as Paul-Key-Mon drives me insane.

also, the way he pronounces Pokemon as Paul-Key-Mon drives me insane.

As someone who doesn't watch/listen much of anything Giant Bomb related, this is the most egregious Dan Sin that I've heard so far.

I wish Dan and Vinny were on a cast together, because I feel like that would not work so profoundly that it would actually swing around to working.  I think they've had a few really good interactions on some of the megacasts.

Dan is less of an actual asshole than folks give him credit for.

I refuse to follow him on twitter because his twitter is often infuriating, but I feel like twitter tends to magnify everyone's most infuriating aspects, and I enjoy him in all GB content i've seen him in.  

I also really hope he continues to coach brad through each new Hitman 2016 quick look, because that's a really fun way to record a stealth game: with a devil on your shoulder who has bizarrely specific desires

Bumping this thread to recommend Dan and Brad's series of Hitman videos. http://www.giantbomb.com/hitman/3030-45150/videos/

I'd not a fan of Dan usually, but he works perfectly as a devil on Brad's shoulder on these videos. Brad spends the entire time trying to play cautiously and be a good stealthy hitman. Meanwhile, Dan's just prodding him toward making horrible decisions constantly. 

I guess someone needs to bump this topic with the news that Austin is leaving, right? :-(

So what are the guesses for his new gig? I'm going with unannounced gaming vertical at ESPN.

edit: nevermind, looks like it's already been announced.

Vice Media has recruited Austin Walker, news editor at CBS Interactive’s Giant Bomb, to head up its forthcoming dedicated site on video-game news and culture.

Wow, his own site, I can see why he'd take off for an opportunity like that.

Does anyone know much about Vice as a company? I hope this doesn't end up being a site that's just sold or closed after a year or two.

While I'm bummed to be losing his voice at GB (he's probably my favorite podcaster out there right now), I think there's a lot of potential in this move.  From the sound of things he'll be building a team from the ground up and Austin is one of the best names I can think of to put together a really smart and diverse group.

Vice are a rising media star at least from an investor point of view. Lot of growth and plans for future growth.

This reminds me - Is Offworld officially shudown ?

Does anyone know much about Vice as a company? I hope this doesn't end up being a site that's just sold or closed after a year or two.

I don't understand their business model at all, but in the last year they've both added their own cable channel and expanded their partnership with HBO to include a daily news show. They seem pretty flush with cash for the time being, but they're privately held so nobody really knows what their books look like.

edit:

This reminds me - Is Offworld officially shudown ?

Yeah, they wrapped things up after one year. Laura Hudson talked about it a bit during her appearance on Spawn on Me.

Man, I was really surprised to hear that he was leaving so soon, but after seeing the Vice thing I can definitely understand why he did it. I was really enjoying the beastcast, though, and I'm not sure it'll be good without him. I like the other guys, but I feel like Austin's presence was what usually brought the conversation to places besides making silly jokes and complaining about games. I'm excited to see who they hire to take his place, though.

Are there any highlights from the GB E3 coverage? I don't have 20 hours to watch their VODs and they're usually full of people talking over each other or making inside jokes, but sometimes they have a really insightful guest on there.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-live-at-e3-2016-day-03/2300-11382/

From 1:39:00 on starts out goofy as hell (with, yes, people making inside jokes and talking over each other), but ends up in a very different place. It is quite a long segment though, and does not feature that much industry insight per se.

I haven't had time to watch much of the content apart from that either, so I cannot make any other recommendations.

Are there any highlights from the GB E3 coverage? I don't have 20 hours to watch their VODs and they're usually full of people talking over each other or making inside jokes, but sometimes they have a really insightful guest on there.

If you have any interest in the new Xboxes and are confused about what their different intents are, the the interview with Phil Spencer is rather informative.

So bummed about Austin leaving, but like everyone else, I get it. I hope they can hire someone equally high-quality. He brought an incredibly unique voice to an otherwise (as much as I love them) fairly uniform perspective on that site. Good on him for getting to run his own thing, but damn it.

I'll be curious to see who they hire next. It seems like the obvious candidates (Cara Ellison, Danielle Riendeau, whose name I misspelled so badly that even Google had no idea who I was talking about) are all taken but I really hope they don't hire another Dan as the last thing they need is more straight white cis dudes at Giant Bomb. Maybe they'll just higher all of kotaku just to get Patrick back.

Given they replaced Patrick with Austin, I'm hopeful that they understand that it benefits them to have that chair filled by someone with chops as a writer who also is interested in aspects of the industry and society at large that the rest of them don't really cover.

I'm real sad about Austin leaving Beastcast, because it's honestly become MY FAVORITE. Like holy shit they have such good chemistry together. All of them.

But on the other hand I'm super super duper duper happy for Austin and also excited to see what he does as the lead of a new thing?! YES PLEASE.

Gita Jackson is in NYC isn't she? At least she guested on the Beastcast once, and worked really well with them.

I'll definitely follow Austin into his ventures at Vice. Really excited to see what comes out of it.