When I did a similar maneuver, it ended up around 30 days. Those longer orbits are still only a few days each.

Yeah, I remember the counter showing somewhere around 10 days when the orbit had tightened quite a bit.

An interesting bit of info about Project BEAST gets dropped at the very end of the Beastcast this week.  Apparently, the episode with Scott Manley is just with Drew, and none of the east coast people are going to be watching that video, as not to taint the rescue missions they're going to be launching.

Which is actually going to be amazing, to actually show everyone how this is supposed to work, then go back to see how the east coast folks try to solve the same problem.

That sounds like a good plan. I'm really interested to see how the Scott and Drew dynamic works, as both are really cool and entertaining guys. On the other hand, I'm also excited/terrified about the prospect of B.E.A.S.T. team tackling the rescue of that Kerbal on a solar Kerbol orbit.

How did that happen by the way? Did they actually escape the sphere of influence of Kerbin and realize they had no fuel left, or did they leave him/her on a highly elliptical Kerbin orbit and eventually Mun fucked up the trajectory, or what?

I hope they will keep going after the rescue mission and shoot for Duna or try to build a space station or whatever. This is one of the most entertaining video series I have watched in a long time.

Yeah this series has actually gotten me back into Kerbal Space Program. I'm trying a career mode right now and frankly I'm struggling to regularly get into stable orbit with the starting equipment. I dunno whether I'm making piloting errors or whether the starting stuff really is just not very good.

Also I don't even have the ability to add manoeuvres and plot that stuff out yet - does anyone know what piece of gear lets you do that?

You will probably have to upgrade some of your buildings. Tracking station maybe? I'm playing the science mode because I enjoy the sense of progress but do not want to worry about funds and such. 

The starting equipment is pretty crappy, but you can research better equipment quite fast if you focus on doing a lot of science stuff at first. Remember that you can run each experiment on ground, in low and high atmosphere, in low and high orbit, etc. to get more science points. Some of the experiments also grant you points per biome (even in orbit).

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science

Sorry if all of this is obvious to you already.

How did that happen by the way? Did they actually escape the sphere of influence of Kerbin and realize they had no fuel left, or did they leave him/her on a highly elliptical Kerbin orbit and eventually Mun fucked up the trajectory, or what?

If I'm not mistaken, they got that craft to the Mun, got off the Mun, and then ran out of fuel after they got an escape trajectory from Mun's gravity. So, yeah, very elliptical orbit, and the Mun probably caught them and caused the ship to enter into the solar orbit.

You will probably have to upgrade some of your buildings. Tracking station maybe? I'm playing the science mode because I enjoy the sense of progress but do not want to worry about funds and such. 

The starting equipment is pretty crappy, but you can research better equipment quite fast if you focus on doing a lot of science stuff at first. Remember that you can run each experiment on ground, in low and high atmosphere, in low and high orbit, etc. to get more science points. Some of the experiments also grant you points per biome (even in orbit).

No, that's all probably smart. I haven't been particularly diligent about doing all my scientific experiments at every altitude so far. The Science mode sounds good apart from the fact that the contracts give me goals - I don't particularly care about money and reputation systems, but having the contracts gives me an idea about what I should be shooting for next.

Yeah, I sort of wish science mode had some sort of contracts. On the other hand, I find having to set your own goals quite refreshing as well.

Pro tip: Normally you can perform only one science experiment per instrument per flight (unless you decide to transmit the data), but if you EVA, collect the science data, and then store the data, you can perform a new experiment afterwards. It is pretty dumb, but helps you collect science points faster.

Anyway, back to topic: Can't wait for the Scott Manley special!

oh man. towards the end of the latest Project Beast ep(1:19:46), Drew asks Scott if it's possible to skip off the atmosphere and Scott replies "If you're an amateur, I guess, is the correct answer to that."

Hey, why not go to Mun and Minmus as well while you are at it?

God, Scott's casualness and the ease with which rescues all three Kerbals (in a single mission!) was such a hilarious contrast to the constant panic and anxiety of the BEAST crew missions.

It was a great idea to have him do this before they attempt their rescue, since now I'll know exactly how they're bungling things. They're especially fucked on that guy that's escaping Kerbin's gravity, since there's no way they'll know to have him jetpack back into orbit and as a result they'll have to mount a way more challenging mission to rescue him. I wonder how long it will take for them to succeed? I mean, if they even rescue the closest guy on the next episode I'll be surprised.

It was a great idea to have him do this before they attempt their rescue, since now I'll know exactly how they're bungling things. They're especially fucked on that guy that's escaping Kerbin's gravity, since there's no way they'll know to have him jetpack back into orbit and as a result they'll have to mount a way more challenging mission to rescue him. I wonder how long it will take for them to succeed? I mean, if they even rescue the closest guy on the next episode I'll be surprised.

In the last East video, they see that ship and it's already completed that escape vector that he was on when the West crew booted up the game.  So they won't even have the chance to pull that move with jetpacking back into a Kerbin orbit.

I look forward to seeing how that goes.

Edit: I should not leave a tab with a half-written reply open for 20 minutes.

Anyway: The version of a recent episode I watched had a part where they pause and take a break, and offhandedly discuss Manley meeting with Drew to record. I feel like I'm crazy because everyone else was surprised?

My ~Hot Take~ is while it's wildly competent and informative, that was not a very good Project BEAST episode. I didn't laugh very much and no floors were swept.

You know, once the Kerbal stuff has run its course, the next open-ended insanely complex game for Project BEAST to tackle is obviously Crusader Kings 2.

Anyway: The version of a recent episode I watched had a part where they pause and take a break, and offhandedly discuss Manley meeting with Drew to record. I feel like I'm crazy because everyone else was surprised?

The Project B.E.A.S.T. episode before this one revealed Scott Manley in the "Next time on.." segment. If they had mentioned it before, I missed that (which is entirely possible because I skip forward quite a bit).

This is an episode that only works as setup for the next ones. It is the straight man for the goofiness to ensue, without which the goofy shit wouldn't be as good as it is going to be. 

(it is going to take forever for them to work it out, and it's going to be so incredibly rewarding when they do.)

This is an episode that only works as setup for the next ones. It is the straight man for the goofiness to ensue, without which the goofy shit wouldn't be as good as it is going to be. 

(it is going to take forever for them to work it out, and it's going to be so incredibly rewarding when they do.)

yup. i don't know why they didn't stress the parts where Manley is really knowledgable more. the most entertaining parts were where he described how space stuff works (you need to boost backwards to move faster) or the history of space projects (the M.O.O.S.E. tool). the fact that he was able to do it easily wasn't surprising or suspenseful, but it was worth watching just for all those good little tidbits.

Yeah I kinda feel like the casual description of what he knows sells him a bit short. "Oh I studied Astronomy in undergrad" is wildly different from "I have an astronomical physics degree and a masters in Computational Physics and was pursuing my PhD in small heavenly bodies in the solar system."

Correct me if I'm wrong, I also don't think anyone at any point in the series has said what "delta vee" actually is? Knowing that it's change in velocity and what it means is the ability to alter trajectories is a fairly big key in following all the kerballing.

Edit: I should not leave a tab with a half-written reply open for 20 minutes.

I mentioned earlier that I heard that, but I didn't think that Scott would be in the house, I figured it was going to be a Skype thing or something. Also, i missed the ship going into Solar orbit as well. That'll be a fun one.

No, that's all probably smart. I haven't been particularly diligent about doing all my scientific experiments at every altitude so far. The Science mode sounds good apart from the fact that the contracts give me goals - I don't particularly care about money and reputation systems, but having the contracts gives me an idea about what I should be shooting for next.

Yeah, building upgrades are really important in full career mode. Between the cost to fire off each rocket and the price to upgrade the buildings to be useful, I was constantly running near broke so I eventually gave up and went to science only mode. There has been a mission overhaul since I played in full career though, and Zeus seemed to be having a good time with it.

Science-wise, you can also do different research at each building in the KSP complex, which can give you a good boost of science to get over the starting hump as well as some atmospheric maneuvering practice that I found helpful later. 

Oh, and in Career mode, I believe you need a scientist to be able to set the experiments to run again, otherwise they are inactive even after you pull the data out.

Science-wise, you can also do different research at each building in the KSP complex, which can give you a good boost of science to get over the starting hump as well as some atmospheric maneuvering practice that I found helpful later. 

Wait, you mean flying over each individual building and doing experiments? That would be some tricky flying in a rocket!

Wait, you mean flying over each individual building and doing experiments? That would be some tricky flying in a rocket!

Landing at each building actually. Pros can do it by making a lander and moving around the base doing it in one pass. I did it by building a tiny rocket and hitting my parachute when I was above the right building, then repeating new launches for each location.