Favorite little moment in the latest Kerbal vid was Austin declaring "we're geniuses!" as they aligned a perfectly perpendicular orbit.

Also they seemed to think that if the stranded Kerbal jumped from his ship he would slow down or something? I couldn't figure out what they were thinking there. Their logic at practically every step of that rescue attempt was absurdly flawed. It was fantastic.

The thing that got me wasn't that they should have known better. It was that I should have known better but they built the kind of mission control drama that made an obvious impossibility seem plausible. Also the "It could be millions of miles apart!" when it's clearly not had me focusing on that instead of HOW FAST THOSE ROCKETS ARE GOING.

I was staring at the cursor that stubbornly refused to hover over the indicator for closest approach which would have immediately revealed the distance. I wonder if Vinny was aware of that and just refused to check it for the sake of suspense?

Listening to the latest Ryckert family odyssey podcast, it's funny as ever, but I'm really starting to feel quite sad for Paul. A bunch of individual things he says are incredibly frustrating, but overall they all reflect what seems to me to be a pretty tragic life, and a mindset that serves only to compound that.

He also exhibits a lot of the worst traits of nerd fandom. He doesn't carry the overt prejudices that can entail, but he's far too concerned with how other people interact with the objects of his passion, and how that measures up to his own ideas of authenticity, which is based largely on obsessiveness. I get where that kind of impulse comes from, and I'm sure there is a certain amount of self-kidding and bandwagon-hopping when stuff like the World Cup comes around, but if that stuff seriously bothers you there's probably something up with your relationship with your interests.

Maybe that's too harsh. It's good to be passionate about things. I just think this obsession with others' engagement probably comes from a bad place.

I suppose he's on his way to becoming an archetypal bitter old man.

Dan, on the other hand, seems to be getting better about having some perspective about other people, which is encouraging.

Oof, just finished this myself and it was definitely a little more... real I guess? Problems with anxiety run in families and it certainly sounds like Paul has anxiety issues that he's dealing with in a much different way than Dan. Over my life, I've seen myself slide back and forth between the two ways of dealing with stress.

I was staring at the cursor that stubbornly refused to hover over the indicator for closest approach which would have immediately revealed the distance. I wonder if Vinny was aware of that and just refused to check it for the sake of suspense?

I'm willing to bet that's the first time Vinny's ever had a case where he would need that sort of indicator. He rarely purposefully obfuscates in a way that's not clearly a joke ("It's fine. It's fine we're fine")

Yeah, in all honesty, I think so too. He just got so close so many timesthat it was starting to feel ridiculous.

Favorite little moment in the latest Kerbal vid was Austin declaring "we're geniuses!" as they aligned a perfectly perpendicular orbit.

Also they seemed to think that if the stranded Kerbal jumped from his ship he would slow down or something? I couldn't figure out what they were thinking there. Their logic at practically every step of that rescue attempt was absurdly flawed. It was fantastic.

Well, the Kerbal does have his jetpack. Then again, it would still not have been enough.

Someone should have been quick on the draw and sent them this video:

Well, the Kerbal does have his jetpack. Then again, it would still not have been enough.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure someone (Alex?) made some sort of hint at preservation of momentum, but not confidently enough to put those ideas to bed. Once doubts did begin to set in, someone did suggest the jetpack, but obviously the thrust on that thing wouldn't be able to make a dent on an orbital speed of that magnitude.

I was pretty frustrated at the lack of basic understanding of physics, but when it came together, it made for some pretty hilarious and tense viewing, even if it was pretty obvious well ahead of time there was no way they were actually going to make the transfer.

I hope they do work it out eventually, though. That would be incredible. Much more impressive than landing on the moon, in my book.

Just to provide a counterpoint, I watched that whole video and had no idea what was going to happen, and the ending was hilarious.

Are the Project B.E.A.S.T. guys aware of how brutal the re-entry can be in terms of heat? I have skipped some of the construction sections because they take forever to choose the parts, so I don't know if they know about ablators. I was quite surprised that they survived the re-entry last time because it looked like they did not have a heat shield of any kind. Or did they?

I'm not sure if I'd be happy if when they finally manage to save one of the Kerbal, the rescue ship gets destroyed upon re-entry.

I'm not sure if I'd be happy if when they finally manage to save one of the Kerbal, the rescue ship gets destroyed upon re-entry.

This is one of the most entertaining possible results.

I will just say you should listen to the Beastcast this week. Early on Vinny consolidates his position as the king of dad jokes and then it gets better.

I did relish his insistence that his bad joke wasn't bad.

Does anyone know how to comment on Giant Bomb articles? I'm logged in and everything, but I can't for the life of me find a "Comment" button or text box.

WARREN

5VtrzgT.jpg

been on the fence about making this my twitter avatar. is this character referencing another character? i feel like i've seen that face on an actor somewhere.

It looks to me vaguely like Hulk Hogan and Leslie Nielsen at the same time, somehow, but I don't know if it's a direct reference to something.

If you look at this page, for instance, you'll find the comment box for this article at the very bottom:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-community-spotlight-01162016/1100-5377/

Late response to this, but there's no comment box for me at the end of that article. Even when I'm logged in. Do you need to be Premium to comment?

i don't know what that video was but i liked it

Late response to this, but there's no comment box for me at the end of that article. Even when I'm logged in. Do you need to be Premium to comment?

Not as far as I'm aware. Might be worth sending in a report to tech support on.