I'm still slowly progressing through the GOTY stuff (I'm only halfway through day two) but I'm so glad that Austin is there this time around.  He's not only articulate and thoughtful in his arguments, but he also doesn't immediately jump on the opposition in the same way that someone like Jeff or Brad does.  Even though his tastes differ from mine, I find that I like hearing from him the most because of that.  While I like Brad, I am getting tired of his arguments which mostly boil down to "you're crazy". 

I thought that Austin, Jeff, Dan, and Alex all had really good moments this year. Vinny was way to quick to give up on his darlings and didn't even give them a proper send-off like Alex would. As much as Brad's repeated "your crazy" mantra was annoying, I was also bugged by "I can't really explain it" coming from Vinny. That also might be because I was rooting for some of the same games.

Edit: I just realized that I felt the same thing when the "What Is Firewatch" stuff started at E3. I know it's tough to describe, but at least try.

I'm still slowly progressing through the GOTY stuff (I'm only halfway through day two) but I'm so glad that Austin is there this time around.  He's not only articulate and thoughtful in his arguments, but he also doesn't immediately jump on the opposition in the same way that someone like Jeff or Brad does.  Even though his tastes differ from mine, I find that I like hearing from him the most because of that.  While I like Brad, I am getting tired of his arguments which mostly boil down to "you're crazy". 

My two favorite Austin moments were when he:

A. Let out a single, uncontrolled guffaw when Alex compared Sky Battles to a student N64 project; and

B. When he very calmly yet forcefully stepped in to rep Invisible, Inc.

My two favorite Austin moments were when he:

A. Let out a single, uncontrolled guffaw when Alex compared Sky Battles to a student N64 project; and

B. When he very calmly yet forcefully stepped in to rep Invisible, Inc.

The invisible Inc talk was especially awesome because of the build up it had throughout the week and then, when it finally hit, it was as intimidating as the threats made it sound.

Danielle is on the Beastcast this week!  Now if we can just get Vinny or Austin on Idle Weekend...

Not only that, there's CAT CHAT.

CAT CHAT

The invisible Inc talk was especially awesome because of the build up it had throughout the week and then, when it finally hit, it was as intimidating as the threats made it sound.

It made me buy and play Invisible, Inc. It still intimidates me in the same way that XCOM does, in that I can't stand that sort of failure, but it has a structure that shows me there's an ending (plus rewinds).

Danielle is on the Beastcast this week!  Now if we can just get Vinny or Austin on Idle Weekend...

That's a pretty awesome idea... :)

That's a pretty awesome idea... :)

Danielle that was an awesome podcast! I would love Beastcasters to find their way onto Idle Weekend, and I'm excited at the prospect of hearing you on Giant Bomb again in the future.

It made me buy and play Invisible, Inc. It still intimidates me in the same way that XCOM does, in that I can't stand that sort of failure, but it has a structure that shows me there's an ending (plus rewinds).

ditto on everything here. the anxiety of imperfect knowledge is heightened in Invisible Inc. for me because it's explicitly a stealth game, whereas XCom i played stealthily but always knew i had the tools for confrontations.

Danielle that was an awesome podcast! I would love Beastcasters to find their way onto Idle Weekend, and I'm excited at the prospect of hearing you on Giant Bomb again in the future.

Ditto on everything here. Great cast!

Woo! Danielle on Beastcast and Steve on Unprofessional Fridays!

Is it just me or does Steve Gaynor look like that guy who's trying to look like Tyler Durden except that he's not an asshole and can actually pull it off? Just me?

dan looks terrified and jeff looks nonplussed

Not sure if this should go here or in the Dark Souls thread but Dan's playthrough of the game has been quite entertaining so far.

Dan

summoning two guys to beat the gargoyles for him while he hid in a corner

and the twitch chat reaction to that made my weekend.

Nothing like a new episode of KSP to remind me that I'm actually pretty good at games.

Haha.. yeah, I loved watching them fuck everything up already at launch and then proceed to carefully plan their crazy perpendicular orbit rescue mission, only to see the other ship pass by at an incredible speed and realize that perhaps they should match the orbits next time around.

I'm still amazed that most of their ship designs survive the launch, though.

Haha.. yeah, I loved watching them fuck everything up already at launch and then proceed to carefully plan their crazy perpendicular orbit rescue mission, only to see the other ship pass by at an incredible speed and realize that perhaps they should match the orbits next time around.

I'm still amazed that most of their ship designs survive the launch, though.

That was a better build-up/pay-off than most scripted movies have :)

That was a better build-up/pay-off than most scripted movies have :)

The Kerbal stuff is fantastic! Vinny manages to keep things moving in a game that could easily derail into endless minutia and then intentionally sabotages things just enough to keep Alex and Austin on their toes, who seem to legitimately care about the Kerbals. Oh man, that botched rescue mission is among my favorite GB moments ever, I can't wait for more things to go wrong in this series.

The thing that got me wasn't that they should have known better. It was that I should have known better but they built the kind of mission control drama that made an obvious impossibility seem plausible. Also the "It could be millions of miles apart!" when it's clearly not had me focusing on that instead of HOW FAST THOSE ROCKETS ARE GOING.