Those don't look like they would have near the tactile satisfaction that a traditionally shaped taco would have. 

Those flat bottom hard shells are a really good idea. They improve the architectural problem of regular hard shells, and the screwy bit where you have to take a half bite of the bottom and a half bite of the top of the taco in order to get the full experience, since the bottom part is all meat and the top part is all cheese/lettuce/tomato/other stuff and no meat.

See, and I almost used the tiny taco salad as a reason that they feel very off to me.  If I want a taco salad, I'll make a taco salad!  If I want a taco, I want a taco!

Mexican food is the best food. Italian food is just the pretentious, over-priced wannabe cousin of Mexican food.

Psssh, don't you live in Arazona? Ketchup and noodles isn't Italian food.

Arizona, weirdly, has some of the best pizza outside of your traditional pizza meccas. Granted, that's not strictly Italian, but a lot of east coasters move to AZ for the heat.

To address Bjorn's point, they do have a different feel than a normal taco.  It's like breaking a normal hard shell in half.  It's not entirely the same but it's a decent compromise between function and taste.

There are also soft tortilla boats that serve a similar purpose, but they're basically just pita pockets.

I don't think I could live in California. Mexian food makes me sick (literally).

I think we have to find a clear boundary between tacos, enchiladas, burritos and fajitas. Tacos don't get to be good by pretending to be a different kind of food.

More importantly, I can't BELIEVE what Jade Raymond did at the Game Awards

ZoGJC29.gif

It's very easy to not eat Mexican food in California, you are still allowed to eat like salads and burgers and stuff. also there are so many different types of mexican & other latin american cuisines! man, i love mexican food.

It's very easy to not eat Mexican food in California, you are still allowed to eat like salads and burgers and stuff. also there are so many different types of mexican & other latin american cuisines! man, i love mexican food.

Yeah, I grew up in Texas hating Mexican food (before my time abroad in college made me ravenous for it) and I never had a problem with being forced to eat it, except when my mother would inexplicably make "Mexican Treat" (read, "cornbread casserole with salsa instead of tomato sauce") in defiance of my hatred.

Last week's bombcast revealed something to me about myself.  I enunciate Thanksgiving like Brad.  I assumed I said it like everyone else (thanksGIVING) but then I said it aloud and shock of shocks....THANKSgiving!!!  I was in the car driving to work and just on a whim wondered if I said it in the way I thought I did and discovered that even being aware of how I was saying it I said it in the way I didn't think I said it.

I'm thinking this must be a regional thing...north-central West Virginia is relatively close to North Carolina geographically...and it wasn't until recently that I discovered that toboggan hats are a regional name for...whatever they're called elsewhere (its ingrained in my mind that its a toboggan...I called it that before I even had heard of a toboggan sled...hell, I probably called it that before I knew what a sled was given that some of my earliest memories involve me wearing a toboggan with a poof-ball on the top and my Dad grabbing the poof-ball and making honking-horn sounds and this annoying me greatly for some reason because I was 2 or 3).  Toboggan isn't even a southern thing (WV isn't really the south...at least they don't claim us)...its a regional thing that may be appalachian from what I remember reading recently (after calling a knit cap or whatever a toboggan when I was away from home and having someone look at me like I was from Mars).

This sort of fascinates me because I think every region has stuff that you just take for granted if you grow up there...I thought pepperoni rolls were just ubiquitous everywhere for example...but it blew my mind that the way I thought I was saying Thanksgiving wasn't generally how I was actually saying it.

Haha, I was being facetious because all they ever talk about is Mexican food it feels like.

I had tacos one time and (maybe unrelatedly) became really sick. Never got rid of the association.

eot:

i ate chinese food (sesame chicken) once and became very sick afterward and still have a hard time eating any kind of chinese food, so i can understand extending that single experience to an entire cuisine, even though i know in my heart that it's not true of all chinese food and have had it before and since without issue. it's something i never pick for myself to eat, only when someone else picks chinese food do i eat it.

i have you both beat

the mere smell of ketchup makes me instantaneously nauseous 

eot:

i ate chinese food (sesame chicken) once and became very sick afterward and still have a hard time eating any kind of chinese food, so i can understand extending that single experience to an entire cuisine, even though i know in my heart that it's not true of all chinese food and have had it before and since without issue. it's something i never pick for myself to eat, only when someone else picks chinese food do i eat it.

That kind of bums me out but American Chinese food is so far removed from actual Chinese food I really wish we'd call it something else

i have you both beat

the mere smell of ketchup makes me instantaneously nauseous

Cilantro is that for me.  I don't know that it tastes like soap, all I know is I can't stand it.

Yeah SAM, I bet iv would be fine actually with more authentic Chinese food. It's the fried meats covered in sauces palatable to Americans that make me want to vom.

Cilantro is the grossest.

That kind of bums me out but American Chinese food is so far removed from actual Chinese food I really wish we'd call it something else

Cilantro is that for me.  I don't know that it tastes like soap, all I know is I can't stand it.

I had the misfortune of eating "Italian Chinese food" once. It was so far removed from "Chinese" food here in the UK, it was basically fried Italian food with sweet and sour sauce. 

All foreign food is just altered to fit the culture it's moved in to. It makes it really different in most cases. 

All foreign food is just altered to fit the culture it's moved in to. It makes it really different in most cases. 

I've lived in Arizona most of my life and have always been a huge fan of chile relleno. It is probably my favorite Mexican dish. But of all of the dozens of Mexican restaurants I've been to throughout my life, I have never seen two chile relleno dishes served exactly the same way. Which is frustrating because I've eaten a lot of chile relleno and have no idea if I've ever had "true" chile relleno. I've been told that the only way I can ever say I've had true Mexican food is if I go to an authentic restaurant in Mexico because things change ever so slightly when they are brought over here.

I dunno, what is a "true" or "proper" food X? I remember walking around Venice with my aunt and we over heard some tourists saying "We can get some proper Italian pasta for lunch." My aunt just said to me incredulously: "What's proper pasta? It's just pasta!"
I think worrying about what's real or not is probably pointless. 

(My family is Italian. I can't believe you think Italian food is fancy, but I suspect that's because Italian restaurants act that way since the Italian style of eating i.e. massive shared portions and plenty of mess, isn't really shared by Americans and British).

I just listened to the Beastcast talk about Rainbow Six: Siege's pricing and how they felt about it for 30 minutes.I keep forgetting that they are consumer-product reviewers and not art-critics. They never actualy talked about the game, just how they perceive the value-proposition.