Dan Ryckert has never bought pants in his whole life. Good evening everyone!

It still opens for everyone at 9:00. It's a pretty big venue, so I expect you'll have a pretty good shot at getting in if you get there 30 minutes early or so.

I got excited about Phantom Pain after watching some gameplay videos. My previous experience with Metal Gear Solid is limited to the demo of the first game and first half of Metal Gear Solid IV (after which I got bored and stopped playing). After playing Ground Zeroes and realizing that I know nothing about the various organizations and characters - even though I clearly should - I figured that I might enjoy Phantom Pain more if I had at least a basic grasp of the overall storyline of the series. Because there is no way that I am going to play the older games myself and because I did not find the idea of reading through the wikia page of the series very entertaining, I decided to finally pay for Giant Bomb premium subscription and watch Metal Gear Scanlon. I have not regretted the decision.

I have watched the first few of episodes, and so far it has been fantastically entertaining. Dan and Drew are a great duo, and the set-up with a novice player and expert advicer makes it easy to absorb both the story and the feeling of the game. I think they balance the "experiencing the game like a first-time player would" vs "giving enough advice so that the series will not be too frustrating to watch" very well, even though some of the commenters seem to think that Dan makes it too easy for Drew.

I think I will watch at least MGS 1 through 3 before I boot up Phantom Pain. MGS 3 seems quite essential, while MGS 4 less so.

Anyway, I'm so glad that I finally gave in and subscribed to the Premium content.

Premium is definitely worth it. The back catalogue is nothing short of fantastic.

(also, don't read the comments, ever. Seriously, MGS comments are especially bad.)

(also, don't read the comments, ever. Seriously, MGS comments are especially bad.)

Haha, yeah, I don't. I learned that a time long ago. Dan and Drew just mentioned these comments during one of the videos.

Beastcast was so good last week, in particular I was fascinated by the monopolies of knowledge that Austin talked about a little. It's something that I think I've been wondering about indirectly recently: there's a LOT of talk these days about collecting game analytics, but to do so effectively requires a large userbase, so really the only people who benefit from that sort of analysis are already large companies.

Also I thought his joke about Jesus fanfic was really funny.

Premium is definitely worth it. The back catalogue is nothing short of fantastic.

What makes the MGS comments bad? I haven't seen them, just out of curiosity.

It's the worst brand of "you're playing the game wrong" possible. Instead of concentrating on the fun, entertaining experience that is seeing someone go through a game in a completely different way from you, they keep insisting that Drew should be striving for OPTIMAL PLAY. 

Dan Ryckert has never bought pants in his whole life. Good evening everyone!

Wait what?

He said on Twitter that he needed to buy pants but couldn't figure out sizing. Casey Malone told him that if his pants were too small, he should get a size bigger. Casey said he could find his size by looking at the pants he was currently wearing. Dan didn't understand this concept.

I'm just picturing him looking at a pair of pants and thinking something along the lines of, "But if they're 30 inches by 30 inches, why are they so much longer than they are wide???" and just staring at some pants in utter confusion.

Beastcast was so good last week, in particular I was fascinated by the monopolies of knowledge that Austin talked about a little. It's something that I think I've been wondering about indirectly recently: there's a LOT of talk these days about collecting game analytics, but to do so effectively requires a large userbase, so really the only people who benefit from that sort of analysis are already large companies.

Also I thought his joke about Jesus fanfic was really funny.

That discussion was really interesting, especially because I've encountered Innis' writing a lot through school and work, but never that particular idea.

I'm just picturing him looking at a pair of pants and thinking something along the lines of, "But if they're 30 inches by 30 inches, why are they so much longer than they are wide???" and just staring at some pants in utter confusion.

Size numbers are not particularly easy to understand without external information. A lot of pants don't even have inches labeled on them, so you're left wondering exactly what 38x32 means. It's still silly because you could just do a google search and know in 5 minutes, but it's not necessarily as easy as it might seem.

The majority of Dan's food stuff I can somehow fathom but that pants thing was so absurd that I almost feel like he's lying.  Just from sheer osmosis I would think you would have figured out either the general knowledge or have a relative idea about your clothing size.  It also makes me curious as to how he ever obtained pants in the first place, did his parents just make them appear without him ever trying anything on?  Ugh, this is the first time I can recall being actually annoyed at something stupid he has said.

He strikes me as a guy who's been about the same size since he was 18, so I'd imagine he just gets clothes as gifts because his parents know that he wouldn't buy them otherwise.

I didn't buy a pair of underpants until I was 25 'cause my dad was in the underpants making biz so I got them for free.

That said, when I did finally need to buy some, it was not difficult.

That was really good!

I still have so much love for Night Court Giant Bomb. Every once in a while I'll fire it up and have a smile.

I don't think there exists a better 3-second summary of the Jeff Gerstmann/Kane and Lynch thing.

I've really enjoyed watching Metal Gear Scanlon, but does anyone else think MGS4 was kind of crap? The story was goddamn nonsense (I'm as confused as Dan and Drew as to what the hell Naomi was doing) and the gameplay was a big mess of systems that were mostly bypassed because it was so easy to play through as a shooter.

MGS4 was a mess but I very much enjoyed it and remember it as one of the best games on the PS3.

I also cannot be trusted when it comes to MGS.

Dammit, I want to watch Night Court now, and there are no easy/legal ways to do that.

1.99 an episode on Amazon, 14.99 a season, and first episode is "free with ads" but I've never tried it and don't have the option in Chrome since it's Silverlight.