If you've been watching the Contradiction videos, you should really make sure to listen to the end of the Beastcast this week (at 2:34:30 if you want to jump to it).

Rorie half-jokingly said they were looking for a new designer, so I submitted my resume. There's not a chance in hell that they'll hire me, but maybe the guys will see it and get a laugh.

I finished Dan's new book, Anxiety as an Ally. While I didn't necessarily find all of his advice helpful, it filled a nice niche for me of an anxiety related book that was short and light-hearted enough to actually feel comfortable buying and reading. Thankfully, I'm not even as bad off as Dan was anxiety-wise, but the first hundred pages, especially where he was talking about his initial experiences, was eye opening. That book, as well as a particularly lousy vacation, have finally convinced me to start looking into getting some help.

So I guess, if you're on the fence, read it and then stop once he gets to Game Informer?

Austin Walker is basically me but an upgraded model. Late July birthday, Leos are the best (we might be the same age?), born in New Jersey but escaped, Phillies and Eagles fan, video games. But then on top of that he's smart and cool?!

He and Alex put up a podcast on what used to be the Dump Truck (Now Giant Bomb Presents) where they talk about Pixels but don't just elbow drop it. Interesting discussion. And I'm pretty sure that's not premium so anyone can listen.

I liked their little discussion about Pixels. I really liked the point they made about the implications of the character story; that is to say with the story of this movie being about a person whose time spent playing games was worthwhile in the end because aliens, the implication is that in the real world, where there are no aliens, your time with games is wasted. 

That's a hell of a high horse to be sitting on at the end of an Adam Sandler movie...

Next Contradiction stream happening this week! Maybe they'll finish the game? I don't want to wait another two weeks after that to see the thrilling conclusion of Jenks's exploits.

I wonder what the decision making process was waiting two weeks for the follow up.  My hunch is that it allowed people to go out and buy the game and play it themselves while also letting word spread about how great the content was so people could pick up premium subscriptions and get fully caught up.  Regardless, I'm glad it is finally back and second the hope that it doesn't take another two weeks before we get the next installment.  

I was super happy during the second Rocket League stream when Jeff and Brad said that they weren't in on Dan's "weird asshole thing." I like watching competitive gaming as much as the next guy, but I'd prefer everyone to be civil and happy that the matches are close. Joking trash-talking can turn serious or hurtful so easily.

Austin Walker is basically me but an upgraded model. Late July birthday, Leos are the best (we might be the same age?), born in New Jersey but escaped, Phillies and Eagles fan, video games. But then on top of that he's smart and cool?!

He and Alex put up a podcast on what used to be the Dump Truck (Now Giant Bomb Presents) where they talk about Pixels but don't just elbow drop it. Interesting discussion. And I'm pretty sure that's not premium so anyone can listen.

I'm also an Austin fan, as ever since his arrival and the rise of the GBEast crew I've been much more eager to see stuff from the site. I fell off the Bomcast a few months ago, but the Beastcast really reeled me back in. Between the sports songs bit and thoughtful Star Wars conversation from 2 weeks or so ago, and this past week's minion rants on colors and blank slates, it's been really great seeing their personalities gel together.

Also, I've never felt strongly about a competitive thing until today's Rocket League rematch. It tapped into my empathy in a way that made me understand why people get amped over sports. When Alex made the last second score that put them into overtime, I actually threw up a fist.

That Rocket League match was intense. I was in a Starbucks watching it and had to try really hard not to jump and shout every time something awesome happened. 

I've had to stop listening to the regular bombcast.  Jeff is really smart and insightful about industry stuff, but he's infuriating to listen to talk about specific games. 

This.  I haven't stopped listening altogether, but I like to play a game with myself where I guess the over/under on number of minutes until Jeff says he doesn't like something.  I've only been listening for 6 - 7 months, but man, that guy just hates everything.  Even when you hear him talk about things he likes he sounds like he hates them.  I'm sure it has been said a thousand times, but he always comes off as the Simpsons Comic Book Guy to me.

Maybe it's just my lack of experience with the podcast, but I never know whether Jeff and Dan actually believe half the crap they say, or if they say it just to be contrarian....  

I think nothing in the world can summarize Dan Ryckert as much as the data from yesterday's Rocket League challenge:

CLMhtOeWUAAztqf.png

I'm so glad to have empirical evidence that Vinny is the best person. I always knew, in my heart.

I think nothing in the world can summarize Dan Ryckert as much as the data from yesterday's Rocket League challenge:

CLMhtOeWUAAztqf.png

So much good info here. Alex seems to only take shots when he's confident, while Dan got in less than half of his own shots. I noticed Vinny playing support and defense a lot, but wow, didn't know how vital a role he was playing at the home net. More saves than every other player combined.

I'm interested in one more Rocket League showdown (maybe two if they do a face-to-face one at PAX or something), but I'm also interested to see what they'll onto next. 

I'm also interested to see what they do next with Us Vs. Them stuff. Austin and Jason have both mentioned Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost recently in podcasts and videos and honestly I think that would be a perfect fit for this kind of stream but maybe unlikely because it's kind of a niche import thing that the rest of the staff might not have like any interest in. 

So much good info here. Alex seems to only take shots when he's confident, while Dan got in less than half of his own shots. I noticed Vinny playing support and defense a lot, but wow, didn't know how vital a role he was playing at the home net. More saves than every other player combined.

I'm interested in one more Rocket League showdown (maybe two if they do a face-to-face one at PAX or something), but I'm also interested to see what they'll onto next. 

It does say something about the players, but it's also important to remember those numbers are connected. Dan wasn't scoring on more shots... because Vinny was saving them. If those teams played 20 different teams, you'd see other trends emerge. Maybe Dan scores on 80% of his non-defended shots, etc.

It does say something about the players, but it's also important to remember those numbers are connected. Dan wasn't scoring on more shots... because Vinny was saving them. If those teams played 20 different teams, you'd see other trends emerge. Maybe Dan scores on 80% of his non-defended shots, etc.

For sure! The conclusion I was drawing was less about success rate and more about attitude. Specifically it seemed to me that Dan was less discerning in his shots than Alex. Another data point I'd like to see here is performance over time of the event.

I'm also interested to see what they do next with Us Vs. Them stuff. Austin and Jason have both mentioned Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost recently in podcasts and videos and honestly I think that would be a perfect fit for this kind of stream but maybe unlikely because it's kind of a niche import thing that the rest of the staff might not have like any interest in. 

A bunch of the staff being into it seems key. It sounds as if everyone was already playing Rocket League independently so they decided to throw something together. That's why I'm interested to see what they do next with it, because it might be another 6 months until it returns. I might be misremembering, but it seems like Windjammers was the last competitive game everyone was into; is that accurate?

Also, do they do anything like the Thursday Night Throwdown anymore? I never got to play with any of the staff, but it was always great for getting players into an older game sometimes (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts for instance).

Also, do they do anything like the Thursday Night Throwdown anymore? I never got to play with any of the staff, but it was always great for getting players into an older game sometimes (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts for instance).

I don't think a TNT has happened since Ryan died in 2013 and Jeff has in the past said it won't ever return. I think the closest you get nowadays is when they happen to play an open online game on the Friday stream, like agar.io, or one of the Jackbox games in recent memory.

Yeah, I think TNT was Ryan's baby and they don't feel right about doing it without him.

In case anyone is going to be in Seattle for PAX and hasn't heard GB Thursday show for premiums is up for RSVP (no PAX badge required.)

http://t.co/AJvfwVEYZO

Even if you miss the RSVP, event is open to all premium members an hour later. I hope to see some folks there.