I wouldn't mind the Bombcast being so long if it were more interesting.  It's getting to the point that with the exception of Dan's craziness, I can basically predict what most of them are going to say about a given topic or game.  Idle Thumbs does interesting deep dives on topics and still manages to surprise and amuse me even if I know what the general attitude is going to be.  I feel like the Beastcast is going to wind up somewhere in the middle of those two, but at least for now it's different enough from the Bombcast that it's refreshing but not so different that I can't tell it's a Giant Bomb thing.

I listened to bits and pieces live, and I found it really cool and insightful in ways that the Bombcast and the other E3 coverage weren't. I'm going through the archive now.

Holy crap, thanks Polish. I'm now downloading 9 hours of 2 dudes riding in a car, not sure if this is a new low or a new high. I really hope Jeff spends at least one of those hours complaining about something that I don't like, that's when he's at his best IMHO.

Jeff's mixlrs are incredible white noise. They're all but replaced rainymood for me.

Giant Bomb Presents is pretty cool. Austin interviewed the Her Story developer and it was a good interview. It also didn't spoil anything (afaik, I haven't played the game), so don't hold back on listening if you haven't play it yet and plan to, maybe.

Also Austin proved that is officially the greatest man alive on the latest Beastcast because he actually knows what the fuck procedural generation is unlike 99% of the people who play video games. Thank you, Austin Walker. Educate the ignorant. Thank you.

I just listened to the Campo Santo/Just cause interview from E3 again. Steve and Sean are just adorable together in that video.

"Steven... You just did a bad."

Giant Bomb Presents is pretty cool. Austin interviewed the Her Story developer and it was a good interview. It also didn't spoil anything (afaik, I haven't played the game), so don't hold back on listening if you haven't play it yet and plan to, maybe.

Also Austin proved that is officially the greatest man alive on the latest Beastcast because he actually knows what the fuck procedural generation is unlike 99% of the people who play video games. Thank you, Austin Walker. Educate the ignorant. Thank you.

It helps that Austin is both an academic who studies games but also someone who has made his own games in the past (such as http://thecalcutec.itch.io/ascentury ). Procedural generation factors heavily into his particular studies in grad school if I recall (the changing relations between play and labor).

I was way into Giant Bomb for a long time and in the Dan era I kinda fell off for a bit, only really watching stuff with Vinny in it (so just quicklooks with Alex for a while). I instead started watching Streamfriends (on twitch and streamfriends.tv archives) of which Austin was an early founding member (Check out their Long Live the Queen Playlist, which features Austin and Idle Thumbs very own Danielle Riendeau :D 

) so when he got hired on at GB it kinda got me more excited for GB than I've been in a long time. Its good to have another writer there, especially one who is even more progressive than Patrick was.

Nice, I just finished Long Live the Queen and I'm really interested to see how things could go. I feel like I was railroaded pretty hard down my path, but then I read wiki entries that talk about all these options that I didn't even have.

He did drink a full bottle of E-40 Slurricane Red Blend himself though so he hasn't fully turned to the dark side.

He also talked about how he hadn't eaten any fast food in months. I think his girlfriend has had a positive push on his diet.

He also talked about how he hadn't eaten any fast food in months. I think his girlfriend has had a positive push on his diet.

That would explain it then.  It's fascinating how if you quit eating fast food or drinking soda for months, and then try either again, most people think they taste like crap after an extended break.

They say it takes 3 weeks to break any habit. Also, most of our desire for bad foods is an addictive craving for fats, salts, and sugars.

Oh Boy, Jeff Bakalar gets quite the intro on the Beastcast this week.

That would explain it then.  It's fascinating how if you quit eating fast food or drinking soda for months, and then try either again, most people think they taste like crap after an extended break.

Fast Food for sure, can't stand the stuff.

However, soda still tastes great to me the very few instances when I drink it. Fanta especially tastes fantastic to me. The change I noticed however, was that the craving disappeared and that it was just a lot easier to stay away from it the longer I didn't drink it.

I listened to another episode of the beastcast. On one hand I appreciate Austin(?) trying to raise the level of discourse, on the other hand it feels weird because he's clearly holding him self back a little. I guess that's what he signed up for.

However, soda still tastes great to me the very few instances when I drink it. Fanta especially tastes fantastic to me. The change I noticed however, was that the craving disappeared and that it was just a lot easier to stay away from it the longer I didn't drink it.

My experience with soda is that there is a bunch of it I don't care for now.  I still enjoy a grape soda now and again, and might have a Dr. Pepper or root beer with a meal.  But almost everything else is just too syrupy and sweet for me now. 

I rarely drink soda, and it's been that way for years. Fanta especially is disgustingly sweet. It makes my mouth feel weird. I can still enjoy a coke on a hot day though, and drink ginger ale when my stomach is upset. That's pretty much the extent of sodas I can bear.

I listened to another episode of the beastcast. On one hand I appreciate Austin(?) trying to raise the level of discourse, on the other hand it feels weird because he's clearly holding him self back a little. I guess that's what he signed up for.

Really? I don't feel that at all. I feel like he's diving in, and I appreciate it. We got a sick ass rap-alar at the beginning of the episode and everything. Between Vinny's editing and hosting, the format moves around enough that it feels like conversation and discussion and not Whatcha Been Playin', The Segment.

I also don't feel like Austin's holding himself back at all. He went into a deep dive about the difference between procedural and random generation last week, and he definitely wasn't holding back this week when talking about the consequences of Arkham Knight and the Steam refunds and what that might mean. (I think it was him that brought that up, anyway.)

Beastcast has a totally different feel from Bombcast, for me. U:

And yeah that Jeff Bakalar intro was incredible.

Last night's premium stream was fucking incredible.

HLaQets.gif

Also, it's been two years since we last had Ryan Davis. Miss you, buddy.

By not having a Premium account, you're missing out on 28 minutes of this.

Am I crazy or are Giant Bomb's streams having audio sync issues lately? The best two UPFs, for instance, were both blatantly out of sync. This seems like the sort of thing that must be on my end, but what could be causing it?