The early GB stuff is really awful, though. It's just unbearably bro-gamer.

I mean, sure, but would you post in the anime thread "I don't watch anime, it's just not for me"? Maybe you would, or maybe you've even already done that; I wouldn't know, because I don't have enough interest in anime in general spend time in that thread. It just seems a bit weird to jump into a discussion about a thing to tell everyone about how you don't like the thing they like. Which isn't to say that I'm above that, because I am also an Internet idiot, but I'm not sure what anyone is supposed to do with that information. It's not like you even had a specific criticism beyond giving a verbal thumbs down.

But whatever, I must just be bitter because of what an enormous fanboy I am. Sorry!

The title of the thread is about things about this podcast you don't like! I used to listed to GB, but it quickly tired of it. And i listen to other gaming podcasts and podcasts in general. Unlike the anime thread where i would have no point of reference for good or bad or what alternatives exist and so i wouldn't post there.

Then everyone said they had this cool new podcast and a cool new cast member so i jumped in to see, and then reported back that i didn't like it. All i was really was doing was giving it a verbal thumbs down and a comment that for me it was more of the same, I'm not good at criticism. Perhaps it would have saved someone else a listen, perhaps someone more articulate could have pointed out differences that may have gotten me interested again, perhaps it was just another pointless post in another pointless thread. I was going to leave it there, but you dragged me back in James. You did it, you shit. With your sarcasm.

p.s. don't worry, i'm sensitive about everything this week.

All games podcasts are footnotes of GFW Radio. 

Too true.

p.s. don't worry, i'm sensitive about everything this week.

Oh, sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon.

I suppose I can see the value in what you're saying, but to me it did just seem like a typical "let me tell you about how I don't like this stuff because I know better". I didn't consider the perspective of people who dislike the Bombcast but are considering the Beastcast, because I am a shithead who lacks empathy.

Remember when the Bombcast used to start each week with them taste testing a new energy drink? Eesh...

Y'all are nuts, those were the glory days. The bombcast started to go downhill when they actually started talking about games instead of energy drinks, beer cans with shotgun tops and Jeff's run-ins with the Petaluma cops.

I honestly don't know what to believe anymore.  I think the Bombcast was one of my first podcasts so either those early ones nostalgia has made me enjoy them to the point where I don't know they were bad or I just flat out disagree like natellite.  I generally think of the guys as cool people who I could listen talk about almost anything so I never interpreted that stuff as bro-ing it up or whatever.

GB comes off as bro-ing it up to me, as someone who does not listen to many podcasts with exclusively male hosts. A lot of the times what people (usually guys) describe as "just cool people (guys) I could hang out with" is intensely alienating to me because the idea of hanging out with a huge group of guys reminds me of when I used to do that and how awful it was after a while. I've relaxed my feelings on Giant Bomb after E3 but I have listened to one or two of their episodes in the past and it felt like morning radio. 

I think three hour doses of Dan Ryckert will do that to a person.

Man, if people think GB is bro-y... holy shit 1UP and GFW (as pointed out, the original Brodeo) would have been nightmares.

Remember when the Bombcast used to start each week with them taste testing a new energy drink? Eesh...

Actually that was the only good part of early GB!

The Brodeo was a joke name and was definitely not brotastic in the way GB was (is?). I mean Ryan Scott and Jeff Green are about as far away as you can get from the Bro Gamer Archetype.

I have listened to one or two of their episodes in the past and it felt like morning radio.

I feel the exact same way. I tried listening to the Beastcast since people seemed to like it, but they even used the morning radio soundboard. I couldn't take it.

Actually that was the only good part of early GB!

The Brodeo was a joke name and was definitely not brotastic in the way GB was (is?). I mean Ryan Scott and Jeff Green are about as far away as you can get from the Bro Gamer Archetype.

Ryan never spoke so he doesn't count.

Seriously though, I tried going back and listening to those podcasts. They are hideously cringe inducing, and in terms of being a guy gamer's world they don't just step on toes they trample bodies.

The Brodeo was a joke name and was definitely not brotastic in the way GB was (is?).

Ryan never spoke so he doesn't count.

Seriously though, I tried going back and listening to those podcasts. They are hideously cringe inducing, and in terms of being a guy gamer's world they don't just step on toes they trample bodies.

I listened to it religiously as an early teen girl & don't have any problem revisiting it now. I don't think that I would find Sean Elliott as hilarious now as I did then, but I know I continue to adore Robert Ashley, Sean Molloy, Jeff Green & Ryan Scott. I think the Brodeo would be totally out of place now, but wouldn't have even registered for me as "bro-y"

I also wasn't as sensitive to many things then as I am now. I don't think they're worth revisiting unless for nostalgia purposes, with the exception of the reunions that have happened at conferences. I know that Jeff thinks much more thoughtfully about this stuff now than he did then.

(Also, I continue to have a giant crush on Luke Smith, for goin' on like 8 years, so if you're listening Scarab Lord, get at me.)

I've been going through the back catalog of GB podcasts for about a year and a half now and am currently listening to the E3 2012 episodes. Specifically, I'm listening to one with David Jaffe and I have to say, I can't fucking stand that guy. I've heard him in a few previous episodes as well and he just comes across as a coke fueled whiny douchebag. Hearing his stupid opinions and his constant whining about things is grating on my nerves so badly. I don't think I've ever played any of his games but after hearing him go on and on with his bullshit, I don't think I'll ever be able to see a game with his name attached to it and actually want to play it.

Oh he was on an old 1UP Yours where busted out a prepared speech or something to address NeoGaf haters I think? It was insane. He is insane.

Regarding old Bombcasts, they were fun at the time, but that was many years ago and I don't think I'd find that stuff nearly as funny now. I do miss that lineup though :(

I really enjoyed his Keynote at PAX Prime, but everything I've heard from Jaffe since has been pretty insufferable, and man Drawn to Death looks horrible.

Edit: Old Bombcasts will always be nostalgic for me just because I miss Ryan Davis.

Jaffe seems to me like a guy who has been doing his schtick so long he became that guy.  And wow Drawn to Death looked like a bad Half-Life mod or just something created for a demographic that may no longer exist.

Sean Elliott

It's Shawn, not Sean! (Sean Molloy is correct, though.)

If you got that group together today... well, they've done it from time to time at PAX and whatnot, and ugh it's beautiful. Every time. )':

I would pay a subscription for a monthly podcast from those guys. D:

It's Shawn, not Sean! (Sean Molloy is correct, though.)

If you got that group together today... well, they've done it from time to time at PAX and whatnot, and ugh it's beautiful. Every time. )':

I would pay a subscription for a monthly podcast from those guys. D:

I actually had them flipped and went back to fix it and only fixed Molloy and not Elliott. Oh well.

Oh he was on an old 1UP Yours where busted out a prepared speech or something to address NeoGaf haters I think?

Wasn't that Denis Dyack? Or did Jaffe do something similar? Dyack turned up on some 1Up thing with a bunch of textbooks or printed materials or something to demonstrate that Too Human was definitely going to be great.

As to bro-ivity, I don't think of Giant Bomb being particularly bro-ey, but I could very well just be blind to it. I think in the earlier days they were less sensitive about a lot of stuff, and I feel like they've matured a fair amount in many respects (although Dan obviously is a bit of a wildcard in that regard). My image of a bro-gamer is the sort of person being foul to strangers over Xbox 360 voice chat, but I'm sure there's endless stuff that I don't see because it doesn't bother me. I don't want for a second to question that anyone could feel excluded, or why they would, or how much that matters.

As for GfW Radio, while I loved it, I think I do kind of think of it as being a bit more bro-ey. It may just be that my memory of it is as it having a very cynical outlook on the whole, but there was stuff that was kind of trolling or otherwise a bit mean-spirited. I found it funny, and it was often pretty thoughtful, but as I remember it they (especially Shawn Elliott) were often having fun at others' expense. Is that more bro? Is this whole breakdown kind of ridiculous?

Dyack is the one that did that, I'm pretty sure.