I've spent today reading Austin's articles and god damn he's good. One of the few people out there who can write about games in a non-boring, non-self-indulgent way. Really excited to see what he does on GB. Plus, he was real good on the Beastcast today. 

I've spent today reading Austin's articles and god damn he's good. One of the few people out there who can write about games in a non-boring, non-self-indulgent way.

Yeah, I'm excited for exactly this reason.

Austin immediately establishes himself as going for Vinny-tier in the GB pantheon.

PV67gBn.png

Just finished the past weeks' Beastcast. Legit good stuff. Vinny and Alex are a great combo in an odd couple sort of way and Austin is a great addition. So glad this seems to be turning out well.

Is the Beastcast one of those things I have to subscribe for?

nope!

edit: you don't have to subscribe, and also I should make sure I'm actually on the last page before I post one word answers. 

O:

Okay I will listen to that from now on 'cause I love me some Vinny. <3

I'm a big fan of Dan but that Twitter exchange was wonderful from Austin.  Hope they can do some verbal sparring on E3 content.  

One slightly surprising thing to me is that Giant Bomb seems like it has practically ceased written articles and you'll maybe get a written review here and there.  I wonder with Austin's ability if that production will ramp up or how they'll avoid letting his skill go to waste.  Jeff mentioned he was taking over news so maybe we'll get a more constant stream akin to what Patrick used to do on a weekly basis.

One slightly surprising thing to me is that Giant Bomb seems like it has practically ceased written articles and you'll maybe get a written review here and there.

Yeah this has led to me almost never actually going to the site anymore. I get the podcasts through my phone app, and watch the videos on YouTube. So without any written content I have this strange relationship with Giant Bomb in which I experience a decent amount of their stuff but never visit their site.

I'm listening to the latest Danswers, and am pleased to hear Danny and Paul offer a pretty earnest challenge to Dan's "always be doing a job you like" magical thinking for a moment. To be fair to Dan, he was presenting a slightly more measured version of it (i.e. it can't always be a dream job, and that he's very fortunate to be where he is), but he still seems to have trouble accepting that the playing field is hugely uneven. There is something to be said for relentless optimism, particularly when it comes to privileged but defeatist people such as myself, but phrasing it the way Dan does, and coming from the place Dan does, is very dismissive of some very real and very profound differences in people's situations. Not to mention the whole thing that the distribution of work to be done has no reason to correspond at all to the distribution of work people want to do. Toilets need to be cleaned, etc.

Anyway, while I do like Dan, it's good to hear him not constantly getting away with his bullshit entirely unchallenged.

Also, Austin seems like a pretty great addition. I also briefly had difficulty distinguishing him from Jeff Bakalar, but in the end I decided he (Austin) is the one with the slightly higher voice.

Really psyched to hear more from Austin at GB -- I've enjoyed his work elsewhere and he already seems like a great fit with the group.

Have to admit, I was kind of skeptical about how the whole east/west split would work out, but it's been a lot of fun seeing the Beast side get into full swing.

I'm listening to the latest Danswers, and am pleased to hear Danny and Paul offer a pretty earnest challenge to Dan's "always be doing a job you like" magical thinking for a moment. To be fair to Dan, he was presenting a slightly more measured version of it (i.e. it can't always be a dream job, and that he's very fortunate to be where he is), but he still seems to have trouble accepting that the playing field is hugely uneven. There is something to be said for relentless optimism, particularly when it comes to privileged but defeatist people such as myself, but phrasing it the way Dan does, and coming from the place Dan does, is very dismissive of some very real and very profound differences in people's situations. Not to mention the whole thing that the distribution of work to be done has no reason to correspond at all to the distribution of work people want to do. Toilets need to be cleaned, etc.

Anyway, while I do like Dan, it's good to hear him not constantly getting away with his bullshit entirely unchallenged.

Also, Austin seems like a pretty great addition. I also briefly had difficulty distinguishing him from Jeff Bakalar, but in the end I decided he (Austin) is the one with the slightly higher voice.

The way I interpreted Dan's answers from the last Danswers is he is aware of how challenging it is, but in the face of challenge he would prefer to be hopelessly optimistic and put all of his eggs into a basket.

Thankful that seems to have worked for him, because man not sure what else he could do. 

I really liked Paul Ryckert's comments on fatherhood last Danswers, and his admiration for Vinny was just a nice thing to hear. I thought Paul would be a terrible guest because I was worried they would just be too silly, but he's gone through some stuff with his divorces and being a very young parent that has given him lots of useful experience. It's was interesting to hear him talk in-depth about his life, and made me realize that even if he wasn't successful by most standards, he was comfortable with his life and his family. Gives a dumb young guy like me some perspective on what's important in life. 

The Beastcast is amazing. Most podcasts come out early in the week so having a good one for the weekend is nice, and it's early enough in the run that it's exciting just to see where it will go. Austin fits in so well. 

I stopped listening to the Bombcast quite a while ago. Listening to Dan causes me physical pain, Brad is a bit dull, and Jeff is a big manbaby. Drew seems cool, but he's caught in a bad crowd.

I like everyone on the Beastcast though! It's so much better than the San Francisco office. I don't think it's an amazing podcast (I listen to a lot of different kinds of podcasts, some of which are actually ~amazing~), but there's more thoughtful discussion about games and my taste in games is a bit closer to the hosts.

This most recent Beastcast *really* reminded me of early Thumbs. Hell, they even did the same dumb *let's all talk super quietly in order to seem like we're on some sort of wanky news show* joke. Good.

Also, I really like Dan and think he's basically the best part of the Westcast. Yeah, I said it.

Moving the discussion about abuses of rating systems from a few bad apples to systemic vulnerabilities was pretty useful in episode 2 of the Beastcast.

Alex asserting that he objectively knows what is worth $10 and what is not, was embarassing.