Chris

Twin Peaks Rewatch 20: The Black Widow

Twin Peaks Rewatch 20:

665__header.jpg

The Black Widow

We all understand that Twin Peaks is a sometimes surreal, sometimes absurdist series about a small town full of eccentric people, that comments on the soap opera and serialized TV show formats, but, while that is very aggressively true this week, the whole thing feels off and wrong. Join us as we discuss "The Black Widow," an out of place episode of Twin Peaks, in our weekly examination of the complete run of the show.

This is a pretty bad episode, yet I find it curiously watchable. It's mostly bad in that goofy/campy way where you can sort of enjoy laughing/groaning along with it (whereas some later episodes just start to really drag - around #21-23 I find myself straining to push through on a rewatch). Just to think that we are only a few episodes away from Leland dying and even Maddy being murdered, yet the tone and style of the show has changed in such a startling, disorienting way. Which has a lurid, train-wreck fascination for me; to paraphrase Seinfeld, "It is a loathsome, offensive episode...yet I can't look away!" How is that record player going while Sheryl Lee enters the Palmer living room separated by about 3 1/2 hours of broadcast time from the Little Nicky thought balloon? The mind reels.

This episode also reveals that the show is really suffering, and isn't just in a temporary post-mystery slump. Why? Because the episode is written by Harley Peyton & Bob Engels, the head writers of the show (basically the mini-Frost and Lynch, in that order) and yet it's STILL totally off-track. These two wrote some of the best episodes of the first half of the series but here you get the sense that the teacher had left the classroom and the kids had just begun to goof off in their absence. Peyton later admitted that they fell too much in love with the absurdist comedy of the show, and you can tell. It feels more like a parody of Twin Peaks.

What's more, the episode is directed by Caleb Deschanel, who directed the extremely memorable/stylish ep. 7 with Audrey's cherry stem, Coop's gentle rebuff of her in bed, Waldo's shooting, Maddy in Laura drag, etc. (maybe the best non-Lynch episode of the first season, or even the entire series). His last episode was the one with Leland driving Maddy around in the car, which, while flawed, is arguably as good as the post-mystery episodes get until the finale

(or at least Gordon Cole's return).

Here he seems totally lost. The idea that the tasteful, lush lighting, color palette and compositions of his season 1 episode could give way to the thought balloon and Lucy wandering down the hallway...man.

So many pure cheese moments. The aforementioned thought balloon (or the preceding scene with Dick & Nicky in matching shorts, jackets, and...ascots, right?). Hawk falling through the door - what a lame moment for that character. The characters ogling Robin Lively while the sappy music plays, reciting Shakespeare. And speaking of music, this episode is really guilty of hijacking memorable Twin Peaks music cues and misusing them in an attempt to regain legitimacy. The Man From Another Place's theme when Cooper flips the coin. The Laura theme when the case worker (hello, Molly Shannon!) discusses Little Nicky. And most shamelessly, Harold's theme - maybe my favorite bit of music on the show - played over Dougie's 50 Shades of Grey deathbed sequence.

If the mid-season hadn't already jumped the shark when Nadine threw the jock 50 feet in the air, I'd say this episode does it.

But there are some straight-up good bits too. Audrey's scene with Coop & Denise is wonderful, and indeed she's on fire throughout this episode. Much more so than we've seen her since the early second season, before she became a drugged-up hostage at One Eyed Jack's (a development she never really recovered from). However,

this is essentially her last hurrah at least until Lynch briefly restores some of her spunk in the finale. Not only do the next few episodes permanently relegate her to Daddy's sidekick and John Justice Wheeler's love interest, but her kissing Cooper is literally their last moment together in the entire series, unless you count the sheriff's station scene when Coop is talking to her alongside Donna & Shelly, in completely professional terms about Windom's note. This is a bittersweet send-off, but I like it so much more than the scene between them in ep. 18 which is basically written and staged as a breakup scene. At least this scene gives us some hope...for 2016 anyway. Maybe she'll come back as an FBI agent?

Other good moments... For some reason I really, really like Dead Dog Farm as a location. Its sleazy, rundown vibe has a very Lynchian feel to it, though I have no idea if he had anything to do with its conceptualization. He IS fascinated by dogs and dead animals in general and the place looks interestingly similar to the

"above the convenience store" location

in Fire Walk With Me. And the final scene with Bobby and his parents is really nice, though I don't know about the Major materializing in WWI pilot gear. It's cool to see Mrs. Briggs get a chance to be an actual character for a moment or two (this and her early scene in the previous episode are really her only opportunities in the series) and I love the final shot of the blue stormy sky and the lightning.

And then onto the credits, still featuring Laura Palmer's picture underneath. Interesting bit of trivia: this is the first time in the whole series that Laura is never once seen or even mentioned throughout an entire episode. Same goes for Leland.

I think the crowd here mostly skews younger, but I'd love to hear from anyone who watched the show when it originally aired: was the shift away from serialized mystery, into episodic comedy/melodrama, startling or expected for you?

I ask because I think a lot of our expectations now are shaped by shows like Lost and maybe even earlier stuff like The X-Files, so that we assume "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" is not simply a hook to get viewers into the show, but the core engine of the show itself. From that, you'd think that when the question is answered it would only lead to a new, bigger question that keeps the series going in a certain direction. Certainly when I first watched the show (on DVD in 2008) I was SHOCKED that it suddenly went from being an extended-film-in-TV-form to a straight-up Andy Griffith type of show.

But I'm wondering if in 1990, it felt more natural/inevitable (if also disappointing) to ease into a conventional TV approach. An "Ok, we've gotten through the device meant to lure viewers into this world, and now it's time to just luxuriate in this world and check in with our friends week-to-week" sort of thing.

I love when the Briggs all get together. It's a credit to the actors that they feel like a real, complicated family.

Dead Dog Farm is a great name and a good location, I agree.

I found Cooper's mention to Diane that

he hopes he can settle down and raise a family despite his past to be really sad. I mean, who knows how Twin Peaks 2016 will start, but I'd be very surprised if Cooper has gotten out of the Black Lodge offscreen sometime between the finale and the premiere.

I like goofy Hawk.

post-8337-0-08783500-1424922964_thumb.jpg

Denise is now the only character on the show who does any actual law enforcement.

post-8337-0-03559500-1424922977_thumb.jpg

I would have rather Josie never have come back at all.

post-8337-0-70296600-1424922970_thumb.jpg

Oh, and scary photo of Andy:

post-8337-0-17376800-1424922954_thumb.jpg

My goal is to be as Denise is. Look at that picture, man. Wonderful.

I have to say, while the entire Josie storyline is gross and pointless, the champagne toast with Pete was great. Piper Laurie purring lines like, "Here's....to me!" is a delight.

"Little Nicky is the devil" with little Nicky dressed in a red devil costume in Andy's thought bubble. Good stuff.

This was a strange episode. It is good to see Donna actually going to school though, she hasn't been for about 3 weeks, don't think there's any hope for Audrey and Bobby going back mind.

What was with Truman's goofy laugh with doc after the grieving mayor left his office. Kinda harsh.

Episode also featured world's largest pitcher of milk.

Denise+Cooper is great.

Oh and the drama of Briggs' return was dampened by the fact he was dressed like dick dastardly

I'm very happy to see Col. Briggs become a more prominent character, as he is one of my favourites.

My take on him is that he is a reapporperiation of the trope of the zen-warrior from Asian cinema. The classic incarnation of this trope is the shaolin monk, master samurai, or martial arts sensei, you know the type. Briggs is a deeply spiritual man, but in this episode it was also made clear that he's is also an exceptional soldier, pilot specifically. Quite possibly as a result of his mental discipline. I think it's interesting to see this archetype applied to the American military, which classically has an image of macho aggressiveness and gritty stoicism rather than harmony and calm introspection.

I'm very happy to see Col. Briggs become a more prominent character, as he is one of my favourites.

My take on him is that he is a reapporperiation of the trope of the zen-warrior from Asian cinema. The classic incarnation of this trope is the shaolin monk, master samurai, or martial arts sensei, you know the type. Briggs is a deeply spiritual man, but in this episode it was also made clear that he's is also an exceptional soldier, pilot specifically. Quite possibly as a result of his mental discipline. I think it's interesting to see this archetype applied to the American military, which classically has an image of macho aggressiveness and gritty stoicism rather than harmony and calm introspection.

Great points. It's also interesting to see how the characterization changes so much after the first season, in which he initially DOES seem to be a bit more of the "gritty stoicism" type (albeit not the "macho aggressiveness" - except I guess when he slaps Bobby).

Also regarding Briggs. I'm starting to wonder if his description as a pilot might not be a literal fighter pilot. Even if he is the air force's best man why would his disappearance "have repercussions that would make the Cold War seem like a case of the sniffles"?

Given his association with paranormal research could pilot refer to things like astral projection or travels through the spiritual realm? He was the first to mention the White Lodge, and if anyone in Twin Peaks possesses perfect courage I'd say it's him.

Alternatively that quote could simply mean that his disappearance signifies that the supernatural forces have started going on the offensive, and that is the threat the man from the military base was talking about.

Is Nicky as a nickname for the devil an older reference I'm unaware of? If not, does that mean you can draw a line between this "little Nicky" and this Little Nicky?

"Old Nick" is in fact a colloquialism for the Devil.  [And note that Nicky's case worker's name is Judy.  Mystery = solved.] 

You guys have me worried...Wednesday is my laundry day - am I not going to have any podcast to listen to while I wait for my clothes to finish washing/drying? :/ Don't make me watch soap operas on the laundromat TV to keep myself entertained...

Although by doing so last week I discovered (I kid you not) Dick Tremayne in a goatee, making a guest appearance on General Hospital.

B-uQDpPUAAAdYsh.jpg

Indeed.  No new TP Rewatch, no new Arrow, two dreary conference calls for the day-job, and heaps of heavy snow to shovel in northern New York.  Not the best Wednesday...

You guys have me worried...Wednesday is my laundry day - am I not going to have any podcast to listen to while I wait for my clothes to finish washing/drying? :/ 

Indeed.  No new TP Rewatch, no new Arrow, two dreary conference calls for the day-job, and heaps of heavy snow to shovel in northern New York.  Not the best Wednesday...

I'll count my blessings: it's sunny and warm in southern California. But I am a East Coaster by birth so I feel your pain.

Haven't checked in recently, but at least I'm caught up on the podcast now. Yep, we're definitely in TP's low point now (we have not, however, reached it's lowest point yet...put I'll save my comments for when we get there).

LostInTheMovies, you asked about people who watched the show in it's first run, well I'm one of them. What I remember at this point in the series is tuning in every week and hoping fervently that it was going to be a David Lynch episode. It was clear even at a time without internet spoilers and behind-the-scenes gossip that Lynch wasn't all that involved in the show at this time. I never stopped being a loyal viewer, though and I'm probably a lot harder on this stretch of episodes now than I was then. I always managed to find something in the show to enjoy.

Looking forward to getting through the next couple. I feel the show gets a lot better around Episode 25.

It was nice seeing Denise again, and Audrey, and Ben, but apart from their character moments this is a weak episode. At this point Twin Peaks ist just another mediocre TV show.

So I just rewatched the episode and I actually found myself enjoying it. If you can overlook the eyeroll-worthy plot developments, there are some nice character beats.

The scene with Cooper, Audrey and Denise is probably my favorite in this episode, if only for it's echoes of earlier and better scenes. Denise continues to be a bright spot in the show at this point. The guys already pointed this out in the podcast, but I love Cooper's unhesitating acceptance of the "new" Agent Bryson. At heart, Cooper just wants people to be happy. And Duchovny's performance remains wonderful.

The scene with Catherine and Pete is a little odd, given Pete's close relationship with Josie and the fact that he's now basically going along with what Catherine is doing to her (although they do at least attempt to have Pete question what Catherine is doing). Pete's attempt to recite romantic poetry is, however, hilarious.

To my surprise, I found myself really enjoying the brief Ed and Norma scene this time. On previous rewatches I usually didn't pay them much attention, but I'm enjoying their story this time around. Maybe I'm relating to them more because I'm getting older.

I really liked the final scene at the Briggs' house, although I don't know why Major Briggs is dressed like a character from a steampunk-themed RPG.

I had completely forgot about the scene where you have the whole sheriff's department fawning over the widow. Even for a show with the sort of tonal flexibility that Twin Peaks possesses, what a wtf moment.

[...]

The scene with Cooper, Audrey and Denise is probably my favorite in this episode, if only for it's echoes of earlier and better scenes. Denise continues to be a bright spot in the show at this point. The guys already pointed this out in the podcast, but I love Cooper's unhesitating acceptance of the "new" Agent Bryson. At heart, Cooper just wants people to be happy. And Duchovny's performance remains wonderful.

The scene with Catherine and Pete is a little odd, given Pete's close relationship with Josie and the fact that he's now basically going along with what Catherine is doing to her (although they do at least attempt to have Pete question what Catherine is doing). Pete's attempt to recite romantic poetry is, however, hilarious.

To my surprise, I found myself really enjoying the brief Ed and Norma scene this time. On previous rewatches I usually didn't pay them much attention, but I'm enjoying their story this time around. Maybe I'm relating to them more because I'm getting older. [...]

Oh yeah, I definitely second that! Forgot about the Ed and Norma, and Pete and Catherine scenes!

I didn't really like the Briggs family scene at the end, I felt it didn't ring true, especially Bobby's conversation with his mom. And all the Milford stuff felt like from another show, like a foreign body again. Why should we care? We barely know these characters! The scene where one brother mourns the others death...there's zero empathy. Twin Peaks has become unintentionally bizarre.

I had completely forgot about the scene where you have the whole sheriff's department fawning over the widow. Even for a show with the sort of tonal flexibility that Twin Peaks possesses, what a wtf moment.

I also found that was in pretty poor taste for a show that had been about the corruption of young women by men for the sake of their own desire.

Everything with women in this post-Laura Palmer part of the show has gotten worse. Remember when this show was good at giving women depth and complexity? Now everyone is a dumb cartoon character. Audrey is almost kissing Bobby (??), Josie is in a maid's outfit, Lucy is stomping around the sheriff's office, acting like a stereotype of a jealous woman. All the new women introduced are equally one-note, like the widow and James' noir lady. I find James' plot incredibly insulting. This show once wonderfully dealt with abuse among family members in such a heart-wrenching, mature way. Now we have this gorgeous woman, who kisses 18-year-old James after he mumbles something about also knowing what it's like to be alone. James gets to kiss and probably rescue this adult woman because Twin Peaks has devolved into a garbage fantasy with cardboard women. 

Spoiler: James' plot

I don't remember all the details, but I do know that this woman and her "brother" are using James, so maybe you can argue that the show has a little more to it then what I just described. To me, it's still an insulting storyline masquerading as a psychologically complicated noir plot.

To me the biggest offense of the James plot is that it's just relentlessly boring. I barely cared about James' problems when he was still in Twin Peaks. I sure as hell don't care about him now that he's spending his time with these cardboard characters in this "wannabe-noir" plot. For me the only saving grace of this story comes from Brad Cupples on that "other" TP podcast, who dubbed the Malcolm character as Exposition Malcolm and pointed out the hilarious way that he walks into a scene, provides an unsolicited explanation of the plot and promptly leaves. Now I get plenty of laughs from Exposition Malcolm.

The widow storyline (is her name Lana? even after more than ten rewatches I can't be bothered to remember) starts out boring, but with the scene where every male on the show starts fawning over her like a bunch of horny teenagers it becomes downright insulting. Insulting to the audience, insulting to the show and (worst of all, IMO) insulting to the characters themselves. Twin Peaks should be above this. Like way, way above this.