Dinosaursssssss

Rimworld

This is a game where I have repeatedly constructed deep and remote areas to allow my psychopath characters who are good (eh, not always) doctors to harvest the organs of living, wounded people on the off chance I need them or can sell them, after having optimized my defenses to leave as many raiders alive after attacks as possible so I can brainwash those I want. I've intentionally isolated 'egg rooms' for chickens and the like so I can intentionally breed chickens, not for the eggs, but for the meat of the freshly born chicks which is slightly more valuable. They are slaughtered en masse once juvenile. I've certainly stolen colonists purely to put them to work in deep dank hydroponic rooms with tiny bedrooms and limited access to the rest of the base to feed the names I care about. I used to have a mod so I could cremate the piles of dead bodies because graves take up space. I often execute wanderers who join me if I feel they would be a drag on the rest of the colony. This includes everyone with the 'dumb labor' inability. Hauling is life. The lazy die and I take their clothes and weapon, and also usually the meal they brought.

I really don't feel like the good guy ever in this game after a colony lives long enough. You only exist long enough to become the villain. Maybe that's just me. I also had a long-time colonist die of a heart attack suddenly once, and I closed the game and never went back to the save I was so sad. It puts a person in a weird emotional state.

I wasn't sure about the sapper thing, but in the most recent Rimworld with Chris stream a group was explicitly called out as sappers, so I think that's a thing in vanilla now. I don't know if it's mods or not, but I've also had raiders set up mortars and turrets and attempt sieges of a (really poorly planned, bad AI) sort. I think the AI is far more extensive than it appears at first. It takes many games to get both skilled and lucky enough to survive into the mid to late game, and I have a high opinion of it there.

(I fucking love this game.)

This is a game where I have repeatedly constructed deep and remote areas to allow my psychopath characters who are good (eh, not always) doctors to harvest the organs of living, wounded people on the off chance I need them or can sell them, after having optimized my defenses to leave as many raiders alive after attacks as possible so I can brainwash those I want. I've intentionally isolated 'egg rooms' for chickens and the like so I can intentionally breed chickens, not for the eggs, but for the meat of the freshly born chicks which is slightly more valuable. They are slaughtered en masse once juvenile. I've certainly stolen colonists purely to put them to work in deep dank hydroponic rooms with tiny bedrooms and limited access to the rest of the base to feed the names I care about. I used to have a mod so I could cremate the piles of dead bodies because graves take up space. I often execute wanderers who join me if I feel they would be a drag on the rest of the colony. This includes everyone with the 'dumb labor' inability. Hauling is life. The lazy die and I take their clothes and weapon, and also usually the meal they brought.

Haha.. Jesus. 

I agree that this game has a way of taking the best intentions and dragging them to the pits of hell.

I try and stay progressive in my forts. But of course you've got to have turrets. And eventually I was burying my turret corpses under the turrets. Okay, that's a little blood thirsty. For a while I was capturing injured raiders and healing them. At one point I tried and keep them around to coerce them to join my fort. Brainwashing, indoctrination, sure. But after a few prisoners died from infection, bringing the whole fort into a malaise, I changed my policy. First, stop having everyone schmooze with prisoners, thanks to the Hospitality mod. I healed injured raiders until they could walk, at which point I released them. Eventually I watched a naked prisoner, able to walk but still bleeding otherwise, get mauled by a boar on their way out. So I decided summary execution of injured raiders was the most humane option after than. Humane.

I see how this slippery leads straight into harvesting organs from those euthanized raiders. Or just selling them to slavers. Is human trafficking is more humane than genocide?

I think the real question is "is human trafficking a stronger mood modifier than genocide?".

Oh, man. So I had been playing the chillest possible game for a while since it's my first colony. I turned the difficulty up to basebuilder at some point, but although I started building a massive granite wall around my base, it was taking a while. Even at basebuilder, I didn't really get attacked and had a bunch of problems (built some sunlamps and spent in-game days wondering where my power is going), so I had no defenses at all. A heat wave began. I had 8 people, but not enough weapons to go around. I got attacked by two snipers, a shotgunner and a grenadier. I was pretty sure I was going down. I basically took all my people to a more secure location away from my base. I figured they would hunt us, but instead they started kicking down my horseshoe pins and destroying walls with grenades. Pretty soon they separated and I was able to take my four armed fighters out along with my army of fennecs (useless of course) and muffalos (less useless), took on the most skilled attacker first and then the others one by one. They only hurt one of my muffalos a bit, never even hit my people. So lucky.

After that, I've been struggling with the heat stroke. I only cooled my freezer so far, so I'm seeing 45+ Celsius everywhere. All my meat is about to rot. There was a blight. When I installed an electric stove I forgot to add bills. And my pregnant muffalo Bliss gave birth. Here's a screenshot of the chaos my base is, including muffalos boning in the kitchen.

post-6685-0-57920600-1470342951_thumb.png

It's embarrassing how long it took me to figure out how to build a barn with a feed yard and confine non-pet animals to it. I also had a heatwave that was badly exacerbated by animals inside my building, that's really what pushed me to do it.

I've been playing on Cassandra/challenging and feel like I've conquered the base game enough to move on to extreme scenarios. My latest base is positioned in the northern-most starting point possible; average yearly temp -16F. After about a half hour, I've got a little McMurdo station set up and I love it. I hate having to worry about freezers -- especially with solar flares, etc -- and I really hate heat waves, so this has been somewhat of a relief, albeit an ultra-challenging one. Don't think I'm going back to temperate zones after this. 

I'm suspicious of this alleged 100% internalization. 

(Please stream RimWorld).

I'll try and screenshot it later, but a very promising colony of mine was just (probably) doomed to failure because the 'hive' event fired inside of a structure deep in a mountainside that also happened to contain a bunch of mechanoids, spawning a scarab that killed one mech and awakening the other 8, 4 centipedes and 4 sycthers, who are now tunneling their way out of the mountain to come and kill everyone. There is a flip side to this, which is that the gods of crash landing gifted me an apparel section full of (probably mod) body armor, helmets, and one full set of power armor, next to a different weapons section containing some high-end (also mod) weaponry, including one set of EMP grenades, the bane of mechanoids.

I was just finishing up a session before going on a hike, but later today there will be a battle royale over the as-yet-unnamed colony.

So I asked a few pages ago if the Main dude making this was a gamer gate supporter and I did some digging and sadly the answer was yes:

CATcCvr.jpg

z2OUK92.jpg

I've found a few things a bit more objectionable such as him defending Total Biscuit and some more recent posts from him on the subject but I'm not super interested in starting a receipt blog on the subject so I'll leave you to do that digging. I will say that based on what I saw I was not comfortable buying this game.

So I asked a few pages ago if the Main dude making this was a gamer gate supporter and I did some digging and sadly the answer was yes:

Oh, ugh. #NotAllGamergateSupporters, of course. I'm sure that "cultural differences" is not a dog-whistle for "fake gamer girls/guys" or other kinds of nerd "persecution," too. This reduces my enjoyment of his game, unfortunately.

I managed to get all members of Dumbo Rock into space early this week. I played on Chillax Basebuilder and can't really said it felt that easy. I had some crazy stuff going on a lot of the time, even though I only lost one colonist. He went berzerk after partner turned him down (he turned her down earlier) and was trampled by one of my muffalos. Those muffalos were heroes. They didn't turn their backs on my people even though they kept getting shot accidentally. Ruslan spent the rest of his days braindead on a couch after one incident.

post-6685-0-13067300-1471007319_thumb.png

Does this game have spoilers? If it does, so does this post.

I was almost constantly steel-starved. Eventually this led me to tackle the ancient evil building close to my base, just because it was made of steel. Fortunately there was only one robot inside along with a bunch of caskets. I deconstructed all of it for steel. I knew the pods would likely spawn something nasty so I built walls around them.

post-6685-0-79541800-1471007295_thumb.png

However, turns out they were just filled with hurt people, mostly slaves.

post-6685-0-86559000-1471007316_thumb.png

I didn't really want more colonists, though, and these people were bloody useless. I don't do organ harvesting or such, so I just left them in the snow.

post-6685-0-93034200-1471007317_thumb.png

I didn't think much of it. Pretty soon I started having trouble with one of my colonists, though, Temples. I wish the game remembered where I got these people from. I can't keep track. Anyway, he kept going into poor moods no matter how fancy a room I stuck him in. Turns out one of the pod people had been his daughter. Whooops. I don't even understand how that's possible.

post-6685-0-57516200-1471008488_thumb.png

He was really crushed even though his daughter's ugliness diminished his love...

post-6685-0-81756500-1471007327_thumb.png

So Temples was causing trouble much of the time. I didn't get many raids toward the end of the game, but I did have cold snaps, drones and solar flares pretty often.

post-6685-0-67994100-1471007322_thumb.png

Temples started wandering around naked. One time he was almost eaten by a wolf. He also first tried to woo one of my colonists and then insulted her, causing a fight. After he went berzerk I was pretty fed up.

post-6685-0-30477500-1471007320_thumb.pngpost-6685-0-18304000-1471007325_thumb.pngpost-6685-0-09839100-1471007326.pngpost-6685-0-81638700-1471007326_thumb.pngpost-6685-0-83645700-1471007328_thumb.png

I had started building my ship. It was tough going, though, with little steel. Eventually I finished my first pod. This solved Temples.

post-6685-0-07384900-1471007330_thumb.png

I had planned to boot him out and leave him when I had enough pods ready for my favourite people. I cannibalized my entire base for steel. I replaced heaters with fires. I removed lamps. I searched for every piece of furniture and autodoors I had accidentally built out of steel. I actually replaced a lot of furniture with plasteel because I had plenty of that. I melted down art. When I didn't need as much electricity, I took down a geothermal reacter, wire, solars panels and wind turbines. Eventually I did find enough steel for everybody. Except the muffalos.

So I just found out a few days ago that there's actually a victory condition in Rimworld. That's cool. I've run out of research on my Cassandra-Basebuilder play, so I thought I'd try to build the spaceship. It turns out my map barely has any plasteel. Even opening up the ancient evil and killing everything in there only got me half way to building a power core. I guess at this point I have to wait for traders to come by or more mechanoid drop pods. :(

So I just found out a few days ago that there's actually a victory condition in Rimworld. That's cool. I've run out of research on my Cassandra-Basebuilder play, so I thought I'd try to build the spaceship. It turns out my map barely has any plasteel. Even opening up the ancient evil and killing everything in there only got me half way to building a power core. I guess at this point I have to wait for traders to come by or more mechanoid drop pods. :(

I also have a Cassandra Basebuilder game that's stalled waiting for the hundreds of plasteel needed to roll in. It feels like a very unsatisfying "victory" just to have to wait for the RNG to throw me the materials I need and for me to just survive in the meantime...

I made it to space. I melted down every plasteel weapon I had, dissembled any buildings I made with it, and finally a bulk trader came by and I was able to buy another 400 plasteel off of them. I'm a bit dissapointed that you can't load pets on unless they're been injured. I got a few on here and there that were hurt during raider attacks, but had to leave some behind as well :(

I never really felt like I got a good handle on what to do about raids. They always seemed to come at strange angles every single time, so I was never able to really lay down any static defenses that were worth much. In the end, it was mostly just me hiding behind trees with 2/3rds of my colonists and hoping that I shot them before they shot me. That definitely got old toward the end of the game.