Dinosaursssssss

Rimworld

I was noticing as Chris was playing RimWorld that all of his rooms have doors. Is this actually encouraged by the game? Most houses don't have doors on every room, and if they do, they're rarely ever closed. For that matter, do you need to even have rooms? Why not just have a large open space?

Also, do they not need a restroom? Are they using a latrine or something?

Doors are useful for a few reasons...privacy (which Ratamero mentioned), temperature regulation, and security. If you have an indoor storage area, I don't think you need to bother heating/cooling it and putting a door on it will prevent wasting energy heating it. And if you have a lot of doors, and a colonist goes berserk and starts murdering everyone, or enemies get into your base, you can lock doors to keep them contained.

Also as far as the Rich Explorer starting thing, I like the challenge of it. Starting with only one person means you really have to spend your time wisely if you want to survive winter. My only real problem with that starting scenario is if you get even a minor injury, there's no one to heal you since you can't heal yourself, so you're kinda boned.

My only real problem with that starting scenario is if you get even a minor injury, there's no one to heal you since you can't heal yourself, so you're kinda boned.

Wow, that seems like the first "lol video gaems" thing that I've heard about this one. Is it something that's planned to be fixed in the future, or is it a feature and not a bug?

it's not *that* bad since you have the turrets, and you get other colonists relatively quickly, but if you goof up early or get colonists who can't do medicine it's pretty annoying.

Here's a short photo safari through two of my more successful builds.

Qulin Manor, a good attempt at a Rich Explorer build,

G4lqoLr.png
Here is Qulin manor. This build actually got a lot more complex than this: The room Jess is in became the underused communications room, the room south west of Jess became my first walk in freezer. I eventually made a covered walkway through the central court yard to allow continuous indoor activity during toxic weather. The outer-walls are to create trenches in which to kill invaders, and also a fire-stop to prevent wild fires from evicerating the place. Notice also the sandbags yet to be built by teh main door off to the left. This became the death trap for citizens dragging each other to shelter from the mob of angered deer. Eventually I ran out of components, while also trying to reroute power for the freezer, causing the freezer to constantly lose-power.

Afawef, my current build, trying to get that Components factory going...

zj5uNiV.png

Lots of the same style of base building. Sugar is standing at the entrance in the bottom left. Notice also the sand bag surrounded turrets to her west and south west. After entering you go through a maze of hallways, again designed to corral and deter intrudes as well as control fire invasions. Court yard for farming and tree farming. And a glorious geothermal reactor I never even made solar panels for this one; I just built fuel generators for the walk in Freezer, where West is standing, and researched like crazy until I got geothermal. Big rooms for all my people. And Tara is standing in the research room, made from one of the abandoned structures (free brick!).  Not sure how this fort will play out, at this point I have to built a military to start mining Plasteel from the Ancient Ruins. 

Edit - 

Small update on Afaweh,

QIQ5SN6.png

A random fire broke out in the dinning area, near that purple bed. My people all suffocated while trying to put it out. The fire then hollowed out the much of the fort. Ironic, when I was so concerned about fires from outside.

Handy tip if you don't want people dragging dead raiders back to your storage and then getting depressed by their rotting corpses: Find a quiet corner of the map, and create a new dumping stockpile zone there that only accepts stranger corpses. Then disallow stranger corpses at the dumping stockpile in your colony, and your colonists will drag any dead invaders away to rot somewhere they can't be seen.

If you do this, make sure to remove the Home zone designation around the dumping area, or people will wander out there to clean it. And keep an eye on people who go out there to dispose of bodies to make sure there aren't any dangerous animals nearby.

I just started a new game where one of my characters is a noble from a medieval society who grew up to become a teacher. After starting the game, a naked man came running out of the mountains and joined our group. His name is Robbin Dekker, and he's a rogueish castaway who is also the noble lady's ex-lover. It's so perfect that the sweet, optimistic girl's shitty ex has shown up on another one of his wacky adventures and has to live with her now.

I bought the game after watching Chris play it, but still haven't tested it myself. I have to say, though, that I love the kinds of tips this game yields. Like little stories themselves.

The Sims for Mac isn't available through the Steam store, I hadn't thought to look outside of that. It is on Origin, but I'm not willing to deal with just for The Sims. 

Another thing I like about Rimworld is that it resembles the mods used for my

, which used Fallout style mods to give Dwarf Fortress a post apocalyptic feel. Which is Rimworld default mode.

Ah right. I guess because I keep all the gaming shit like Origin and Steam tucked away on a separate partition it doesn't bother me so much. Origin and Steam are both pathetically under-developed though — both still look like hell on a high-pixel density display. So annoying when I use them.

I know Windows generally isn't free but if you ever get the opportunity to grab a Windows 7/8/10 key I'd highly recommend installing it with Bootcamp. I noticed that the same games installed on both Windows and OS X literally run at twice the frame rate in some cases, or at the very least a good chunk faster. It's a very effective way of getting more gaming life out of an ageing (or even new) Mac, if that ever becomes a concern.

I decided to embrace catastrophe and am learning the game on a harder difficulty. Three colonies deep so far:

Vampireshire:

lasted until summer where a critical mass of sadness/heatwave had most of the colony wandering around naked and unresponsive.

Neo Hogwarts X:

overran by raiders. Previous raiders were easily dispatched tribals - so I skimped on defenses - then a five man squad arrived with automatic weapons and frag grenades. The most badass conceivable lady, an 84 year old woman w/ pump shotgun and pet fox, almost fought them back, but the colony was so crippled I gave it up.

House of the Anime Queen:

I was absolutely crushing this game; loads of guns, heavily fortified, people who did things, orbital trading, a cemetery of dispatched raiders. Surely I can take down this lone Trumbo.

Owl Shrine:

current game! Had an amazing storyline where I captured a raider in an early skirmish, and finally convinced her to join the colony after months of resistance. The best warrior by magnitudes, she died defending the colony from another raid only weeks after the restraints came off, singlehandedly winning the battle by flanking around a mountain with a broadsword she'd forged herself.

owl shrine lives on though, and has survived almost a year now, taking down multiple organized raiding parties, a herd of mad mufallo, and surviving a fire that consumed almost the entire map.

Ah right. I guess because I keep all the gaming shit like Origin and Steam tucked away on a separate partition it doesn't bother me so much. Origin and Steam are both pathetically under-developed though — both still look like hell on a high-pixel density display. So annoying when I use them.

I know Windows generally isn't free but if you ever get the opportunity to grab a Windows 7/8/10 key I'd highly recommend installing it with Bootcamp. I noticed that the same games installed on both Windows and OS X literally run at twice the frame rate in some cases, or at the very least a good chunk faster. It's a very effective way of getting more gaming life out of an ageing (or even new) Mac, if that ever becomes a concern.

Fair point! Technically I have messed around such a thing. My problem is I'm an amateur-level information technician, and casual-level game player, so I opt for laziness and convenience over access and customization. I am a Mac user, after all. A lot of lazy excuses is what this sounds like, huh?

I save scummed my Afawef build, since I'm so pleased with its organization. The electrical fire occurred again in exactly the same spot, but I managed to put it out without disaster. And I've rerouted all my power lines to be in the walls. I've become paranoid about the conditions that create electrical fires. But I don't know how much longer this colony can last... since I'm already scraping the components barrel.

Part of the problem with components is that most production workshops that use them cannot be 'reinstalled' at another location, instead you have to disassemble and reassemble. And you lose a percentage of the resources when you disassemble, and might lose more of reassembly fails. So there's that sort of shrinkage occurring.

So I'm left with creating the army to mine the Ancient Constructions. Crafting assault rifles takes forever, wow. I guess I can devise some sort of trap-full gauntlet for the Mechanoids. Traps are weird because your own people can be caught in them. Dwarfs knew better.

Got this and played a lot of it over the weekend. Haven't gotten super far, keep restarting. I haven't really met a true disaster, just big inconveniences that cause me to think "eh, I could rebuild it better anyway" and reroll.

I made the mistake of starting one time with only one person capable of hauling. When my next recruit was ALSO incapable of hauling, I figured the colony was a lost cause.

Anyway, the game is really good.

I found a colonist (Lets call him Colonist A) who had gotten run off from a nearby colony who joined us, he was there for 6 months and made pretty deep friendships with my existing colonists. About 6 months later another colonist emerged who was running from some pirates and I was given the choice of having him join the colony and fight off the pirates and another set of hands around my 4 person colony seemed like a good thing as we hunkered down for winter.  I took 3 of my colonist and equipped them with weapons and killed a handful of the pirates and drove off the rest. One of the dead pirates turned out to be Colonist A's brother who  then slowly turned mad with grief. After a few weeks of erratic behavior he woke up one morning, equipped a weapon and starting to attack everyone he came across. I tried to subdue him but he was accidentally killed in the melee which was a bummer.

I decided to embrace catastrophe and am learning the game on a harder difficulty. Three colonies deep so far:

Vampireshire:

Neo Hogwarts X:

House of the Anime Queen:

Owl Shrine:

These are pretty excellent colony names.

So I started a new fortress in Dwarf Fortress after 2-ish years of being away. i don't mind ascii graphics, but the menu system is so hard to find your way through. Even though I remember what I need to do, figuring out what key to hit is such a pain. It's making it very tempting to just buy Rimworld instead, but the lack of Z-levels is a bit a bummer.

It's making it very tempting to just buy Rimworld instead, but the lack of Z-levels is a bit a bummer.

The only thing that really makes me miss Z-levels is the painful micromanaging that you need to level a hill or mountain of any size: mine out the center, mine out the sides, let it all collapse, then repeat. The AI pathing is mostly good, but positioning itself to not be under a mountain when it comes down is not one of its specialties.

Anyway, yeah, I bought it and I'm totally hooked. My first base has Nick Breckon the genius scientist and doctor, who did fine his first year but has now become addicted to drinking and getting into fistfights, in the course of which he's lamed his left arm and lost four fingers... which makes him a slightly less genius scientist and doctor, because the barely competent vet has to come patch him up.

EDIT: He's stopped fighting, but I've discovered that excessive drinking reduces some skills permanently? He was a few hundred XP from a 20/20 in Research in spring of my second year, but now he's down to 18/20 and I wouldn't have noticed except that I happened to mouse over the skill bar when he was drunk and I saw it literally shrinking before my eyes.

Having watched hours of Chris playing the game, I decided to finally try it myself. Damn this game is good.

I went with Phoebe Chillax Basebuilder, as I don't enjoy the combat aspect too much but still wanted some interesting events. Everything was going more or less fine until I ran out of medicine (no traders for a long time and no skilled grower) and Jeff Goldblum and Emily Blunt both got the plague. Somehow they both managed to survive this thanks to Mrs Goldblum. Then shortly after, Emily Blunt insulted Jeff Goldblum who beat her to death. At the same time, my cat went berserk and started attacking my colonists, and so I decided to kill it with the help of my pet deer. Alistair, the lover of Emily Blunt, was forced to bury her and the cat, which must have upset him quite a bit, seeing that he proceeded to vomit all over my base when the job was done. 

One day, a traveling artist came to visit me, and I was eagerly waiting to show him the cubist sculpture depicting Jeff Goldblum capturing Emily Kemp "with obvious pleasure". Unfortunately the visit coincided with a boomrat infestation, and of course, the artist died in an explosion that eventually burned down half of the forest area in the map.

After that everything was more or less eventful for quite some time, apart from a couple of raids that my autoturrets were able to handle quite nicely. The social side of my colony is quite troubling, though. Mrs Goldblum is having an affair with Slick. In addition, her ex-husband recently joined the colony. Seeing how violent Jeff Goldblum can get when insulted, I hope he does not find about any of this.

Here is my base setup:

rimworld_setup.jpg

Both entrances have a bunch of autoturrets before the automatic door and some sandbags and autoturrets after it. I assume that the enemies will still target the door due to the two block thick walls. Is this how it works? I am also researching mortars at the moment, so maybe I can use those to destroy any enemies that try to breach the walls.

I think the wall thing is an impulse that makes sense and works for early game raids, but fails to later, harder raids. They absolutely will attack a point in the wall instead of a doorway, although I'm not entirely sure how their AI works so I don't know why/how they decide, and they will do it with explosives and fire. They will sometimes literally begin tunneling through a mountain to get to you, it's happened to me. I had set up in this little peninsula of clear land in a mountain side, and had heavily fortified the one narrow entrance. I saw a raid notification, chuckled at my new victims, and waited for them to hit the front gate and get wrecked (I also had a mod that added non-lethal weapons, so i would usually try to trap them in this little kill zone I'd made, pound them with beanbags from cover, then pick and chose who gets indoctrinated and who gets their organs harvested.) It took a while for them to come, so I went looking. 3 of them had made it about a third of the way through mountain to a rear section of my base where I kept all the art and clothing making stuff. They were cornered and summarily executed (for having lousy stats and making me run guys all the way around to them.).

I always forget that other people build outside houses in this game. I came at it from DF, and my first impulse is to start mining out a little home in the side of a big thick mountain. Safer, and you get your later building materials as you go.

Defenses update: I only encountered one set of knife-wielding raiders and a two crashlanded mechanoids so I couldn't test whether explosive carrying enemies would prefer my turreted doors or the two tile wide walls. Those mechanoids were no joke, but luckily they did not appear in my immediate vicinity, and I was able to mortar barrage them before my actual assault.

I managed to build the spaceship and escape with all nine of my colonists, with only one colonist dying during the game (thanks Jeff Goldblum). I think Chris' streams and especially the chat comments had taught me enough about the game that I could have chosen a harder storyteller/difficulty. Still, there were enough rough times to keep me on my toes during the whole session.

By the way, I was only able to sell two of my sculptures early on. After that none of my sculptures showed up in the trade window, despite being uninstalled in my storage zone. Are sculptures only rarely accepted by random, or is there some sort of crappy art market saturation mechanic in the game?

Here's what my base ended up looking like. It's not pretty but got the job done.

rimworld_setup2.jpg

I was inspired to try Rimworld by Chris's stream.

My first colony was Heartbreak Hamlet. Two of the original crash survivors were engaged, but their relationship didn't survive the stresses of the initial set up. And, naturally, they wanted a daily reminder thanks to their colony's name.

Shortly after I started, I was radioed by a wanderer. "Jenkins" joined our colony after we fought off the primitive raiders on his tail. Jenkins didn't have many skills to take him out of the colony and his bad back kept him puttering around the main buildings.

He was good at training and taming animals. A squirrel eventually wandered in to the colony -- right in to a bedroom -- so Jenkins went to work taming him. The squirrel joined the colony and the two bonded. Jenkins named his new squirrel friend "Mackintosh."

Heartbreak Hamlet was on a very thin island far out in the tropical sea of its rimworld. Its location meant the colony had traded year-round plant growth for frequent dry lightning storms. Despite his bad back, Jenkins was frequently pressed in to fighting fires with the rest of the colonists. As ever, Mackintosh accompanied his friend and master even joining in to fight fires. Unfortunately, on one occasion Mackintosh's erratic movements led him in to the flames and he lost a paw. Now Jenkins and Mackintosh moved at about the same speed.

Jenkins's time on the rimworld had slowly taught him how to wield a rifle. So, he found himself in the squad to take down a rampaging rhinoceros that fell on the colony. And Mackintosh was by his side. This time, Mackintosh used his quick, decisive movements to distract the rhino while Jenkins crawled away after being knocked down. Jenkins and two other colonists surrounded the dueling squirrel and rhinoceros, finally putting enough bullets on target to end the solo stampede.

The match had taken a toll on Mackintosh. While standing in for Jenkins and rescuing the colony, he lost a leg and a second paw. Mackintosh was bed-ridden. His days were limited to sitting on his Muffalo leather animal bed and being fed by Jenkins and his co-colonists.

The bond between Jenkins and Mackintosh endured, so Mackintosh was always concerned when Jenkins was out in the field. He would try to follow but instead fall out of his bed, requiring a colonist to come along and "rescue" him back on to cushiony Muffalo leather. Usually, if he was around, Jenkins would do the rescuing.

When Jenkins was bed-ridden with an infection and gunshot wounds after a combined raid and forest fire, their bond broke them both. Mackintosh, concerned for Jenkins two doors down in medical, tried to get out of his bed to visit his master. Jenkins, awoken by Mackintosh's cries from down the hall rose from bed. His condition was too severe and before leaving his room he succumbed, collapsed to the floor, and died. Mackintosh, immediately sensing his master's passing went mad with grief! No matter how often he was returned to his bed he would immediately fall out again... clawing his way out of bed... pulling with his few remaining rhino-killing claws down the hall for one final visit with Jenkins.

He didn't make it. The heartbroken co-founder of Heartbreak Hamlet slaughtered him. Mackintosh didn't have much left to live for.

In my experience with people digging through walls, "sappers," is that they seem to find random points on the walls to dig into, that are at least far away from the turrets. 

For example, here's my Afawef colony in its latest iteration:

RYEcSOz.png

The south-west corner is the official entrance. But "sappers" will often target the walls on the North or East. The outer wall-corridors meet at the inner keep at the very south, and there are various secondary entrances along the outer-walls. So when a sapper attacks, I send a solider to distract them, then have the solider enter the complex through a secondary entrance. This distracts the sapper to find a new entry, hopefully routing to the main entrance.

This is a very sloppy solution. Before I added the secondary entrances, my people would be gunned down by their own turrets while returning to the main entrance after distracting the sappers. But I'm banking on sort of abusing the path-finding of people.

On a grim note, notice the jail room / corpse incinerator room in the south-east of the keep. This screen shot is mid-process of incinerator all my corpses. Which I exhumed en-masse, as you can notice the piles of skeletons around the turrets in the south-west. Naturally, I was burying each corpse under the turret that killed it. This was a horrible way to do this, as everyone is traumatized by witnessing 10x corpses everywhere.

As for traders not buying certain goods. It seems that each trade caravan has a different set of supplies and demands. Some are food oriented, some weapons oriented, etc. So some will only accept buying some stuff and not other stuff. Or so I've gathered.

I think maybe sappers (although mine were not 'sappers' in the notification, they were just 'a raiding party') and other AI can maybe identify 'areas of danger' (turrets, sandbags and the like) and avoid them? I do my best to find hard-points to build myself into and see a bit of avoidance after a while.

I don't know how much the AI changes depending on the kind of raid. Tribal raids are the easiest to rebuff even when underarmed, then local other colonies (if you piss them off) then pirates then the mercs. Serious late-game can get silly depending on the difficulty settings.

I have a thing with this game where I played the vast majority of my time with it (maybe a thousand hours? I don't have Steam tracking for basically all of it., but 80 hours since it came out.) in early versions and got bored with vanilla and got heavy into the mod scene long before it hit the wider steam audience, so while I have a shit-ton of experience with it I have difficulty telling what was super early, what has always been that way, what is current vanilla, and what was mods.

This game has a fantastic mod scene, and I consider the base game to under-fleshed out without them. Two that I consider vital, core to my experience with the game and one that is totally vanilla in tone and fixes some basic issues while adding some more options;

Crash Landing

This is Rimworld that actually has you start in a spaceship crash. You can start either normal, in drop pods with full health, or as wounded crash survivors. There are also other falling sections of the space ship, resource sections for food, material, trade goods, cryptosleep sections with random gen pawns in various states of injury, prison pods with newly escaped criminals, engine sections with radiation poisoning and fire hazards, animal pods both wild and pre-domesticated. Oh, also, falling sections start fires. It adds a sense of realism and randomness, and the deciding whether to go and try and grab up the late-game resource or the couple of decent looking pawns (also, how are they hurt? Is it worth keeping this amazing grower in a bed until you can get them a peg leg? Will they be able to stand it? Do you just deny them medical care to save for your other, unhurt colonists? Maybe someone less wounded?) is just good. There are settings you can use to change whether it's allowed to rain during this (can be kinda cheaty if it starts raining while the fires are starting, but can also just lead to massive devastation.) and other aspects of the crashing. It's narratively good, and adds an extra layer of variety once the base start loses it's edge. This one is maybe pretty rough if you are not already good at the basics and getting a colony up and running, but once you are it adds so much. 

EdB Prepare Carefully

The new scenario feature is a far weaker and harder to use version of this. It's basically the "prepare carefully" option from dwarf fortress, where you can pick the skills, attributes, start items and animals of the colony. It's very fully featured, has a point system for balance which includes both items and attributes/skills which can be disabled if you want. I find it a powerful tool for storytelling. Want to have a a colony starting with 3 very skilled farmers and no one who can mine well? How about a team of super-soldiers, well armed, but no practical skills? What about the cast of a TV show? How about a perfectly prepared set of 5 skilled colonizers with no resources, or 10 total useless idiots flush with everything they need? What if everyone is a slow moving abrasive brawler? Maybe a colony of murderous psychos, or maybe a team of hyper-social doctors and researchers is more your speed? What if you just want a comfy start to make it more of a builder, or a really brutal survial game? All this and more.
It seems to work well with the new scenario editor, as in changing world state and such, but it's still a bit buggy as it's a tool that messes with pretty base elements, but I've never had a serious issue in years with it.
You can certainly sit around and reroll waiting for 3 decent people, or you can just edit promising looking ones or create them from scratch, this one is more seen as cheaty, but if you use it to cheat that's your thing. It's a great way to start a with a specific set-up, and that's been the life of the game for me.

Core Panda

This is more of a kitchen sink/minor bug fix/base for other mods. It notably adds more materials (copper, glass, bricks and rubber, nothing extreme.), some things to do with them (windows for light and joy that are fragile, fatigue mats for high traffic areas, sinks for improved cleanliness and more upkeep, some storage options besides the ground and some basic production options in the very early game.) It's basically just a quality of life mod, nothing I'd consider outside the spirit of the base game. I don't have as much passion for this as for the other two, but I still always play with it on, and several other mods from the same author.

I linked to the forum topics for all of these since they are more descriptive in some cases (and I had them bookmarked), but all are also available through the steam workshop and work seamlessly there too. Seriously, this game was made for mods, it expands so easily being so systems based and graphically basic. There is no reason not to explore them beyond stodgy "Not the way it was made to be played" bullshit. Mod control came early, this is a base game expected to be expanded upon by the community, and it has workshop support. Check the mods out.

Edit: Also, this is a pretty good game if anyone was looking to get into basic modding. It's an endless fount of "Oh, but what if..." and pretty easy to mess with as I understand. No good mod tools, but very open code. I have zero coding experience beyond basic C in high school, and I've always been able to find and change anything I find annoying, plus the art style is really basic and imitate-able. I've been toying with a leadership skill thing that came up in the slack and glancing over the skill coding, and I might try and give it a shot sometime I have more time. 

Yes to clarify, the game does call them all "raiders." The developer calls the digging behavior "sappers" internally. Or, so I understand.

I enjoyed the Hospitality Mod a bit. It adds new behaviors and interactions with visitors, and adds a "guest bed" furniture item. Your people can be assigned as 'negotiators' who will then chat up the visitors and improve (or diminish) relations with their faction; good behavior earns gifts when the visitors leave. Visitors can be coerced to join. 

Some of these functions might be vanilla, but just for prisoners if I understand correctly? 

This game is fucking tragic. I had two litters of fennec pups born three days ago. One was eaten by a bear, another died in an electrical explosion and one lost a leg in the same explosion...

post-6685-0-96154000-1470292103_thumb.png